Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lakeview apartment, Varenna, Managgio, etc.

Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

DH and I would like to explore the Lakes around Lake Como. Any suggestions for small apartment in Varenna, Managgio, etc. with lakeview and walkway by lake? We plan to rent a car and take day trips around area. We're open to any lakeside town as long as it's a small apartment for 2 with lakeview and we'd prefer a lake with swimming.
MarciaR
Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:25 AM

You've told us just about everything except your budget. Date of your trip would help too.
Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM

A car and day trips means Menaggio, unless you opt for another lake. Actually, Lake Lugano would be a great choice---google the hotel Stella d' Italia in San Mamete---trust me !
Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:59 AM

Sorry, you did say apts.---take a look here and consider lake Lugano:
http://www.italianlakes.com/rentals/rentals_home.htm
Jun 24th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

We plan to go beginning of Sept. when it's less crowded. What we'd like to do is get a modest apartment with small kitchenette & lakeview somewhere around $1000/week and take walks around lake, go swimming if possible within walking distance, and take day trips. We'd like to stay around 12 days--2 weeks. Does anyone have a personal recommendation for such an accomodation? We're not locked into a particular lake, just near Varenna or Menaggio. We did that some years ago in N. Italy near Malcesine & that was great for relaxing as well as touring in the area.
MarciaR
Jun 26th, 2008, 07:01 AM

We rented an lake-front,apartment in Aquaseria, just north of Menaggio (5 minutes by car).
The apartment goes under the name 'Casa Livia'. http://www.apartmentscomolake.com/en...casalivia.html

We paid 450 euro for six nights, late May, early June.

I would be glad to answer any questions that you may have about the apartment.
Jun 26th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks "Big Red" for info re. apartment. The apartment doesn't seem to have a small balcony, am I right? Is there a walkway along lake, & what about swimming? I'd like to hear more about what day trips you took, and what are "musts"? The price is certainly reasonable, but we'd prefer something with a lakeview & balcony if possible. What about parking? How far from Malpensa airport? What about supermarket?
How much money did you have to pay before arrival?
MarciaR
Jun 27th, 2008, 12:04 AM

You can also check out this apartment:
http://www.homelidays.com/varenna/ap...at24034en1.htm
It's just south of Varenna.

It was 400 euros and has fantastic lake views. It has a porch, not a balcony. There's a provided space for parking.

I don't know about swimming, however.

Instead of driving, we usually took the ferry to other towns. We did drive up to St. Moritz one day and took the train to Milan another day.

I hope this helps.
Jun 28th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on Varenna apt. It looks quite nice. How far was it from the lake area? From the picture, it seems up a hill. Is there a walkway around the lake? Was there a supermarket in the town?
MarciaR
Jun 28th, 2008, 12:01 PM

It's about a few blocks to the lake and about 1 to 1.5 miles south of Varenna.

We walked along the road to Varenna once but then got lazy and would just drive there. The road is close to, but not directly next to the lake. Come to think of it, I don't know if you can walk directly along the lake at that area - we always went to Varenna and either walked there or took the ferry to other areas & walked around the lake in those areas.

The apartment is uphill from the lake. There are lots & lots of uphills & downhills around the lake. It is definitely not a flat area.

I stocked up on groceries when we took the ferry to Bellagio so never looked for a grocery store in Varenna or near the apartment - so I don't know where the nearest grocery is.
Jun 28th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Check your map. Day trips by car are much better from the west side of Lago Como and not from Varenna. I would always pick location first.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:18 AM

Try the VRBO and holidaylettings websites. Make sure that you looking at the prices in US$.

Bellagio has a landscaped lakefront promenade abutting the lakefront hotel restaurant area. Menaggio, Gravedona, and to some extent Domaso have nice lakefront walkways. Just so that you know, most walkways by the lake are a mile or less long. The town of Como has an extensive paved lakefront.