Lakes, Yorkshire Dales, North York Moors

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lakes, Yorkshire Dales, North York Moors

I plan to arrive in the Lakes District on 9/23/05 and want to tour through the other regions as well. I know there is tons to see and do, but only so much time as I'll need to move on south.
I want to see castles, history, etc. and am not sure how much time to allot to each district to get a taste of each area.
Recommendations greatfully accepted.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 03:42 PM

Hi FB - sorry, but I refuse to call anyone "fluffybuttt"

You haven't given much information so, I'm assuming you've already researched the Lake District.
When you leave if you're heading south anyway, you could head down to Settle a nice market-town. If you're a hiker then you could do one or all of the 3 Peaks and Malham is close by, Malham Cove is wonderful.

If not, you could stay in Skipton, another nice market-town with an outdoor market - this is also a good base for the 3 peaks, Malham, Bolton Abbey and Haworth amongst others try:

http://www.skiptonweb.co.uk/tourist/...ions/index.htm

or

http://www.iknow-yorkshire.co.uk/tou...hire_dales.htm

I hope I've been of some help, I never really spent a lot of time in the Lake District so I can't give you too much information there.

Have a wonderful time it really is a beautiful area.

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 04:02 PM

A lot depends on if you are drivng or teaining!
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Jody:
I will be a 'first time' driver in UK so I'm trying to stay away from cities of any size (NO LONDON DRIVING) and I want to see the countryside.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 04:51 PM

Ha, now that makes a difference.

While I understand your reservations about city driving you also have to realise that Cumbria and Yorkshire have their own issues.

Thin roads (many with agricultural traffic) which are very 'bendy' and high stone walls - this means that visibility of oncoming traffic can sometimes be impossible, just drive carefully.

I hope this doesn't deter you from visiting or driving, I just didn't want you to think that 'B' roads in the UK are plain sailing. Now you're warned - have you decided where to visit?
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 01:48 AM

Hi
I live in North Yorkshire. The area you mention (Lake District, Dales and Moors) covers a huge swathe of Northern England and I agree with the previous psters that you need to narrow your trip down before we can supply meaningful info. I could keep you occupied in the Dales with abbeys. castles, villages, walks, waterfalls etc for a month! Can you be more specific with your interests? I could try and draw up a list of 'must see's in the Dales and Moors but more info would be helpful.
The general pace of driving in Northern England is slower and not so frenetic, but it can still be daunting. Steer well clear of the M62 on a Friday night!
M
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 08:52 AM

Topping-because I'm also interested in this area. I've been to the Lakes District but would like to see the area east, Hadrian's wall, Yorkshire, Northumberland, etc.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Alya: I'm looking forward to the 'slower' travel of the countryside, but being a 'first time' UK driver I will be extra careful and thanks for the site references.

Morgana:
Already I don't want to come home!!! But my lineup so far is Edinburgh, Stirling, Carlisle, Windermere, Castle Bolton, Settle, Wigglesworth, York, Warwick, Gloucester, Bath, Oxford, Cambridge and ending in London (then I go to Spain!). I'd love your 'must sees' as long as the list isn't too long. BTW: I can't even find the M62 on my map - Friday or no!
Thanks to all, L
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:53 PM

Phew, I'm tired just reading your travel plans!

Don't worry too much about the M62 it goes from Liverpool across the Pennines to Bridlington (or thereabouts) on the east coast. It can be a dreadful motorway at peak times.

How long are you in Scotland and England?

I hope you're going to relax in Spain
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Alya:
I arrive on the 20th and leave for Spain on the 4th - I expect Spain will be restful and I'm visiting friends too; then I go on to Florida to visit some other folks and then back home to New Mexico!
Are widows allowed to drive in the UK? Hope I'm not too old for this....
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 05:12 PM

FB,

you'll be absolutely fine - are you traveling alone?

You are going to some beautiful places, take lots of pictures and don't forget to let us know how you get on. I was born in Yorkshire so your post is making me feel more than a bit homesick for the countryside.

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:15 AM

Hello again
The best part of the Dales is just driving around, stopping and enjoying the scenery. If I had to short list some places they would be -
1)Malham Cove
2)Jervaulx Abbey www.jervaulxabbey.com
3)The drive along the B6160 from Grassington to Aysgarth, and then the waterfalls at Aysgarth.
4) Scarhouse Reservoir (my favourite spot in the Dales). An isolated, magnificent dam in stunning scenery, made even more atmospheric by the ruins of the cottages used by the workers who built the damn at the turn of the last century.
5) Bolton Abbey www.boltonabbey.com The Devonshire Arms would be a superb place to stay if your finances would stretch!
www.thedevonshirearms.co.uk
Alternatively my favourite restaurant (which also does rooms) is the Yorke Arms at Ramsgill www.yorke-arms.co.uk The setting is wonderful, the building itself gorgeous and the food divine.
Castle Bolton is very nice too, and is close to Aysgarth.
I don't know the Moors as well as the Dales (we head to the Dales every weekend) but don't miss Rievaulx Abbey and Terraces, the North Yorks Moors Railway and Whitby.
Fountains Abbey/Studley Royal Water gardens isn't in the Dales or the Moors, but is a World Heritage Site and most definitely a 'must see'. www.fountainsabbey.org.uk
Castle Howard is also amazing. www.castlehoward.co.uk
If you are interested in the Brontes then a visit to Haworth is recommended. This is situated in Pennine Yorkshire (not the Moors or Dales) and is much 'wilder'. Their old home (the Parsonage) is now a museum.
www.bronte.org.uk
Do try and watch the film Calendar Girls which shows the stunning Yorkshire scenery around Wharfedale.
You can find out more about all these places by googling them and deciding which might appeal to you.
M

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:42 AM

Hi ....

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but what about trying the Carlisle to Settle railway, spectular views, fantastic viaducts, scenery etc etc.

Mark
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Morgana:
You've outdone yourself!! Some of your list was already on mine, others I would have missed had you not brought them to my attention.
Thank you so much for all the information and I've seen Calendar Girls several times - great flik!

Alya:
I will be traveling alone - everyone's already taken their holiday this year.

isplumm:
I have one railway tour in my packet, but didn't know about this one. Many thanks!!

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

BTW EVERYONE:

FLUFFYBUTTT IS FOR THE CAT!!!

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:23 PM

L,

don't tell me that late at night when the cat's not inside you go outside and shout "FLUFFYBUTTT"!

What do the neighbors think?

Have a wonderful time - traveling alone is good! Please write a trip report and let us know how it goes.

Best wishes.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Any recommendation for accomodations in the Settle/Skipton area. I'm finding some won't take a single night on the weekend - looking for the 24th.

Many Thanks again to everyone for your imput. I'll post my 'report' on my return home.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 10:16 AM

I live pretty much midway between Gloucester and Bath, and have lived here on-and-off for many years (best part of half a century!!), so if you want any info on that part of your trip, let me know....

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Julie T:
I have a couple of quiries out for accomodations in the area. I need the nights of the 27th and 28th - would like something nice and not too hard to get to - my first time driving over there.
Thanks much and I know what that century mark is like!!
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 01:33 AM

Hi again
One night accommodation can be very difficult. Don't have any specific places to tell you about but it is often worthwhile going through the local Tourist Boards. They usually have a list of B and B's etc, and these are usually rated as well. Try www.settle.org.uk or www.skiptonweb.co.uk
A lot of the local farms have very comfortable and reasonably priced rooms, and as you have a car this wouldn't be a problem. Might be worth doing a search for farm B and B's.
If you get stuck around Skipton (and it's not a town I rate that highly anyway), why not try staying in Pateley Bridge or Grassington. The latter is more 'touristy', and I much prefer Pateley for its old fashioned charm (it has a band stand in the park etc). Wherever you are in Pateley the beautiful green hills attract your eyes as they surround you.
Please let me know if I can help any further, but I might take a few days to reply as I am often away on business during the week, and in our 'van at the weekends.
M

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -