Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Lake Garda - late September / seeking recommendations
Notices

Lake Garda - late September / seeking recommendations

Jul 13th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Lake Garda - late September / seeking recommendations

We are planning a 4-day visit to Lake Garda as part of our larger Italy trip (after Bologna, before Venice). We are traveling with our 4-year old son so would like to fun a family-friendly town and self-catering place with a nice pool and near the beach.

A few questions:
- What towns do you recommend on Lake Garda for a young family?
- We have been to Lake Como (Bellagio) before and loved ferrying around to the small towns. Is the Lake Garda experience similar?
- Any recommendations for a 2 BR self-catering lodging with pool, near beach?
- And finally, will weather be too chilly for beach and swimming in late September? Will pools still be open? Our dates are Sept 29-Oct 3. If not, is it still worth a visit or better to consider elsewhere?

Thanks for answers to any of the above questions Fodorites!
Jul 13th, 2013, 09:42 PM

I'm going to top this even though I can't answer the questions with any expertise. We are going to Riva del Garda for a few days in September and I have questions too.

I was once at Garda, in Sirmione, and I took a ferry ride around the south end of the lake, stopping at a few towns. It was lovely and I have spectacular pictures.

This time I want to go north, but would also like to drive to a town on the south end, park, and ferry about for an afternoon.

I've also been to Bellagio, Lake Como at the time of year you mention, italiatraveler, and the weather was quite nice. I swam in the hotel pool, even though it was cold and I was the only one in there.

My impression of Garda is that it is a good family vacation spot and that your 4 year old would like Gardaland, even if you can't swim at that time of year.

I hope that topping this helps.

Search this Thread