Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lake Garda Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lake-garda-hotels-41014/)

Maggie Mar 27th, 1999 06:47 AM

Lake Garda Hotels

I just found this forum and like the rest of you am already addicted. My husband and I are going to the lake region of Italy in May (our third Italy trip so we're okay with the fascinating Italian rules of the road). We're all set on hotels for Maggiore and Como but can't settle on anything for Lake Garda---also unsure which towns to focus on. We'll probably have two nights for Garda so could stay in one place or split the time if that makes more sense. After that we're heading to San Gimignano---any idea how long that drive (Lake Garda to SG) should take---or do you think there's somewhere along the way we should stop???? <BR> <BR>Many thanks

Kathy Apr 21st, 2002 11:37 AM

Maggie,<BR>I too am trying to find a hotel for Lake Garda for our trip in May. Did you settle on something yet? Any suggestions? Unfortunately it looks like no one reponded to your original note.

sandy Apr 21st, 2002 11:48 AM

Karen Brown recommends Villa Fiordaliso at Gardone Riviera and Baia d'Oro in Gargagno -- if that means anything to you. These hotels also appear in the Charming Small hotel Guide for Italy. Two listings generally means that there's something there. I would stay in one place. You don't get much of a feel for a place when you're only there for one night! <BR><BR>Regarding the driving time to San Gimignano, visit www.mapblast.com, Click on Advanced Search and choose directions. from the menu at the top. In addition to the driving directions to your destination, it will give you the driving distance in km and the approximate time. Good luck!<BR>

Wayne Apr 21st, 2002 11:51 AM

As you know, Lake Garda is huge. A place on the lake can be almost an hour away from another place, also on the lake. That only makes a difference when you are ready to drive to San G--which isn't exactly close. The drive from the south end of Lake Garda to San G should take about 3 1/2 hours; you'll have autostrada most of the way. I would stay in Sirmione, or in one of the villages on the east side of the lake, Malcesine being my favorite. From Malcesine to San G, add another 20-30 minutes to the driving time.

ttt Apr 21st, 2002 09:18 PM

topping<BR>

Helen Donegan Apr 22nd, 2002 04:46 AM

Hi Maggie<BR>Have a look at the article I wrote - "Springtime on Lake Garda", I think you will find it interesting:<BR><BR>http://www.italywithus.com/ezine/042002/april02_1.htm

KAM Apr 22nd, 2002 04:46 AM

Maggie, I share your addiction to this site wholeheartedly! <BR><BR>While I have not been there yet, I have reservations in Lake Garda for my honeymoon in June. We will be staying in the town of Garda, just West of Verona. We chose this because we can day trip easily from there, and to be honest, I'm a bit nervous about driving in the region, this isn't too far into the mountains. <BR><BR>The link to the hotel is here, and they have been quite wonderful with all my questions thus far (I hope I am as impressed when I get there).<BR><BR>http://www.hotelexcelsior.org/rooms_uk.html<BR>Hope this helps!

Rex Apr 22nd, 2002 05:21 AM

There;s a rather pleasant looking place right at the town of Garda (2 miles north?) called Park or Parc or something like that - - right at or maybe just before Punto San Vigilio. I have only walked through, not actually stayed, nor eaten there.<BR><BR>I would also agree that Sirmione, Malcesine or Riva would be quite good choices (listed in order of convenience, coming up from the south).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

david Apr 22nd, 2002 05:36 AM

I visited Lake Garda on my first trip to Italy ten years ago. I stayed in Desenzano and visited Sirmione. It's true that I was there for a very short time, and that Sirmione is very pretty, but I couldn't figure out what all the fuss about Lake Garda was. It didn't impress me nearly as much as Lake Como. Then two years ago I went to Malcesine. It's not that Lake Garda isn't impressive, it's that I was on the wrong end the first time. The northern shores are much more impressive, to my mind. It varies from person to person, but for me the sheer cliffs dropping to the lake at the northern end are more visually appealing than the relatively flat southern end.<BR><BR>Try www.gardaworld.com. It has links to all the major towns, and each town has photos and descriptions of things to see and do and listings of hotels with websites. Many of the hotels have a three-day minimum, but give them a try anyway -- if it's not the height of the season, they might make an exception for a two or sometimes even a one day stay.

Kathy Apr 22nd, 2002 07:43 AM

Thank you everyone for the tips....I will check into them. This will be my first trip to Italy and I am very excited. We leave 5/20 (for 2 weeks) and other than 5 nights in Venice, we have not yet booked anything else. Hope we're not too late. We're also tempted to play part of it by ear....maybe in Tuscany. Would that be a problem in May? Or should we definitely book everything before we leave?

Wayne Apr 22nd, 2002 08:55 AM

Just in case you can't find another place farther south, or if you want to avoid the somewhat higher prices in Riva, there is a really neat little town called Torbole (accent on first syllable) only a couple of miles east of Riva, right on the north end of the lake, with some spectacular scenery. Hotels are nice and are much lower than in Riva, and the scenery is just as good. I like the Hotel Miorelli, whose e-mail address is [email protected]. I also like the fact that I can walk a couple of blocks to one of the best fish restaurants I've ever eaten in, right on the lake shore. Whatever you choose, enjoy your trip.

top Apr 22nd, 2002 02:08 PM

topping<BR>