Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lake Como, the Amalfi Coast or Cinque Terre?

Jun 18th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are celebrating a big wedding anniversary next June (2008) and are thinking of a week in Italy. We've done the major tourist cities and Tuscany and would like a vacation doing some sightseeing, lots of walking/moderate hiking, relaxing while staring at gorgeous views, and eating delicious food. I have heard good things, although very little, about Lake Como, the Amalfi Coast, and Cinque Terre. We don't want anywhere too crowded. Any advice?
Jun 18th, 2007, 09:20 AM

These are, in season three of the most mobbed scenes in Italy - especiall Amalif and Cinque Terre as there is little inhabitable land where everyone flocks to. So cross them off unless out of season. Lake Como is big enough to escape the mobs in places like Bellagio, known for its Portofino-esque unimaginable mobs of tourists negating any charm the place may have when they are not there.
Jun 18th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Where would you go in Italy if you had a week?
Jun 18th, 2007, 09:35 AM

what time of year

i may still go to a place like Sorrento but crowds don't bother me in fact in a place like Sorrento they are great at night when streets are full....

I would recommend Amalfi for a week - staying in sorrento so you can hop to Naples, Pompeii, Capri, Ischia or along the Amalfi. Lots to do here - hikes, etc.
Jun 18th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Without a doubt I would spend a week on the Amalfi Coast. We were there last summer and my 10 year old son said he will spend his honeymoon there.
Jun 18th, 2007, 09:51 AM

I have been to Capri in late May and also in Sept. - both times were very nice. Yes, near the piazetta was full of daytrippers in the day but other parts of the island were pleasant. Then in the evening the whole island is just lovely. We did several hikes most were not too strenous tho two that went down and then back up were pretty demanding to me, and I walk 3 miles several days a week. Maybe stay two places (one being Capri) in the Amalfi coast area. Last two times I was in CT it was packed! maybe stay nearby in Rapallo or SML. Lake Como is on my list for "next time". Have a wonderful anniversary trip!
Jun 18th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

suec1,

You state "Last two times I was in CT it was packed! maybe stay nearby in Rapallo or SML." What does CT and SML stand for? Are these towns all on Capri?

PalenQ,
We are hoping to travel in June.

Thanks for your help.

Amy
Jun 18th, 2007, 11:26 AM

CT = Cinque Terre

SML Santa margarita ligure - fine fishing port town near CT - good base alternative to heavily touristed towns on nearby CT

June is not peak period - crowds will be there but not as overwhelming as july and august.

Amalfi in June - Capri, etc. to me would just be super. earlier in june the better however.
Jun 18th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Rapallo and SML are on the coast near CT - maybe a place to base and then take train or boat to the CT. SML stands for....oh my, not sure about the spelling! Santa Margherita Ligure maybe. I think that really the Amalfi coast, at least Sorrento, Positano and Capri grew as upscale tourist destiantions. The CT was just a simple coastal area that was discovered not too long ago (by Rick Steve's? and fans)and gets overwhelmed by the number of visitors going there these days.
Jun 18th, 2007, 11:37 AM

CT, erroneously at times said to be discovered by one Richard Steves, has been a thriving Italian resort from before Steves was born.

Steves did help spur the influx of Americans who had never heard of this gem, probably much to lament of Italians who had come here for ages.
Jun 18th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Amy,

Just a thought - have you considered the Dolomiti? Awesome scenery, shouldn't be to crowded, nice summer temps, great hiking.....
Jun 18th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Where is that? Thanks

Amy
Jun 18th, 2007, 02:29 PM

As someone who has just returned from Lake Como, I can give it a great recommendation. We stayed in Varenna, here are some photos I posted taken from our hotel. Beautiful area, lots of hikes (including to a local castle) and quick ferries to other beautiful towns (such as Belaggio & Mellagio).

I can't comment on the other locations but for a peaceful & quiet town, Varenna would be hard to beat.

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...t=2e03c00e.pbw
Jun 18th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Amy - I'm from Atlanta, too! We went to Italy last summer and we thought Lake Como was the most beautiful place we'd ever seen. We loved taking the ferry across the lake from town to town--for dinner in the evenings or a villa tour. And if you're like us, after living in Atlanta, we don't think some places are too crowded that other people might consider crowded. Varenna is quiet, but a bit too much so for us. We had a lovely dinner with an unforgettable view there at the Albergo Milano. We stayed at the Hotel Belvedere in Bellagio, which had a pool. That was a nice option for relaxing and a bit up the hill from the noise of town. We regretted not having longer time in the area so that we could drive to Lugano in Switzerland. There is some nice shopping in Bellagio, too. Don't even think about Lake Garda - now that's crowded.
Jun 18th, 2007, 03:52 PM
WG

we spent a special anniversary on the amalfi coast - specifically capri for 4 days, then positano... heavenly - we went early oct - i would suggest early june or sept for warmer beachier weather - we stayed at hotel punta tragara in capri - had fabulous meals in capri too, then in positano we stayed at le sirenuse - and even if you dont stay there we recommend the restaurant there. very romantic - lit ONLY by candles - hundreds of votives as chandeliers and sconces and on tables.. it is a very unique and beautiful spot - we were so fascinated that we went late afternoon to watch a young fellow lighting each one of them...
Jun 18th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Amy,

The Dolomites are the Italian Aps. I love mountains and these are some of the most awe inspiring I've ever seen. It's one of the places I would want to be in Italy in the summer.

Try googling some of the town names and see how it looks! Cortina d'Ampezzo, Corvara, Ortisei, Val Gardena, Alpi d'Suise (SP?).

It would be a nice combo for a week with Lake Como!
Jun 18th, 2007, 05:34 PM

We had a wonderful 4-day holiday in Ravello (Amalfi Coast)this spring - it certainly satisfies most of your criteria for gorgeous views, hiking, food etc. I dont think it ever gets as crowded up there as down on the coast (though you can go down of course). Maybe for half of your week.
Jun 19th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

jjkbrook:
Where in Ravello did you stay?

WG,
Would you suggest that split of 4 days in Positano and 2 in Capri? Le Sirenuse looks like an amazing hotel. Are there any other hotels that you can recommend? Any places you went on your trip that you suggest we go? Thank you.
Amy
Jun 19th, 2007, 12:15 PM

We'll be staying at the Villa Flavio Gioia in Positano in about 3 weeks. It's not far from the beach - right next to the church.
Jun 19th, 2007, 12:21 PM
ira

Hi A,

>Would you suggest that split of 4 days in Positano and 2 in Capri? <

I would.

Fly into Naples. There is bus service from NAP to Sorrento, from which you can take a SITA bus to Positano.

For a special event, you might want to splurge and hire a limo - about 110E.

You might find the Naples/AC part of my trip report helpful:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044

Ira’s Italy Photos
Praiano http://tinyurl.com/ygbows
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=11knfe8...e&x=0&y=1tkcm7

Positano
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=11knfe8...m&x=1&y=x6te72

Naples
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=11knfe8...&x=1&y=-28lwh4

Enjoy your visit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -