Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lake Como - stroller? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lake-como-stroller-858461/)

audreyleigh99 Sep 8th, 2010 08:46 AM

Lake Como - stroller?

As my many previous posts have indicated (many thanks for all the info to date!), my husband, two year old daughter and I will be staying in Mezzegra for about a week in just a few days. We are debating on whether or not to take my daughter's stroller. We love walking but I am not sure whether there are any evenly paved sidewalks or walking paths to make the stroller a feasible option. In particular, I know there is a nice walking path between Colonno to Griante but cannot see if it is a paved type path or more of a nature trail. Does anyone know?? And are there maps available for purchase or at the tourist office that show such paths? I can't find any good maps online for this.

nochblad Sep 8th, 2010 08:56 AM

The main road - Strada Statale - is pretty frightening especially around Sala Comacina and Ossuccio where it becomes very narrow but if you travel along the Vecchia Regina which is higher up you should have no trouble and very little traffic.

audreyleigh99 Sep 8th, 2010 07:07 PM

So we would have to walk in the road, though, there is no sidewalk or paved path? We also have a baby backpack carrier so we will bring that instead if we can't really do much walking with the stroller.

flygirl Sep 8th, 2010 07:30 PM

Don't walk on the main road for sure.

Menaggio TI would have good maps/general tourist information.

If you don't mind pushing a stroller up a hill, there are little streets that head up from the main road. I saw what appeared to be a decent sized path leading down from Mezzagra down into Lenno, from up in the hills above the main road. I was exploring with the car and came to a dead end but the path appeared to be paved going back down the hill. I can't say if it was paved the whole way though.

Lenno would probably have the longest flat and safe stretches to walk, along with Menaggio, in center lake along the west side. Not that Lenno is all that big mind you!

If the stroller isn't a bear to pack, consider taking it and doing the research on the ground. I think in Menaggio at least you will have some options.

Bellagio would be a challenge unless you entered/exited the upper town from the end nearest the point - that isn't stepped. Also, there is a pleasant walk along the lake heading to the Villa Melzi, not to mention once you are inside the gates of that Villa you have lots of paved walking to do.

audreyleigh99 Sep 22nd, 2010 06:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. Reporting back for future travelers as we have just returned from our trip. I agree that it was worth it to take the stroller for the flat areas. It would be better if the stroller had rubber/inflatable wheels due to all the cobblestones and gravel (not that I'd lug a jogging stroller to Europe, but there are a few small folding models with such wheels). Stroller was fine in Lenno (but NOT on the way from Mezzegra to Lenno, that is not possible), Menaggio and Tremezzo. Okay for parts of Bellagio and, as the stroller is fairly old, we just parked it by the ferry dock when we turned up somewhere that it was a pain to push around. It was okay for parts of the greenway walk but not the whole thing - the greenway was unpredictable so I would not recommend setting out to do that with a stroller without investigating the specific portion you plan to walk first.