Lake Como- Lugano- Where to stay?

Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Lake Como- Lugano- Where to stay?

We will be taking the train from Venice to the Lake Como area this July. What area would you recommend staying? It will only be two nights. Also, is there a ferry that can take us to Lugano for some time? From Lake Como we will be going to Tuscany... Do you recommend a car or train? Thanks!
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:33 AM

Hi JC - No ferry from Lake Como to Lugano I'm afraid

How about bus? There's a regular bus service from Menaggio over the hill to Lugano (SPT-Line C12/16).
Journey time is about 1 hour.
http://www.sptlinea.it/

Where to stay? Pick any from Menaggio, Varenna and Bellagio. Personally my favourite is Menaggio ...

It's easy to go from Como S. Giovanni to Tuscany by train - usually with a change of train at Milan. For train timetables see:
www.trenitalia.com

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:42 PM

Steve is right. Varenna, Bellaggio and Menaggio are probably the most popular towns. These three towns have the most convenient boat service. All three are on the car ferry routes.

If you only have two nights, then you will probably decide against going to Lugano.

The hotels on Lake Como will fill up in July. I recommend that you start looking now and don't hesitate much to book.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:42 PM

Several years ago we stayed in Mennagio and loved it. We stayed at the Hotel Sonenga which had really good breakfasts on the patio outside. Some rooms have lake views. I also recommend a restaurant called Lario - really good! Bring a phrase book, some menus aren't translated.

Definately see the gardens at Villa Carlotta in Tremezzo, then it you're up for it walk back to Mennagio.

Search this Thread