Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   LAKE COMO FOR ZACH (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lake-como-for-zach-105682/)

Gail Feb 12th, 2001 05:54 PM

LAKE COMO FOR ZACH

I am traveling with my son, 16, and daughter, 12, to Italy in July. We are going to end our four weeks with four days in on Lake Como. I was going to splurg with 2 nights at the Villa d'Este. I need a sugestion for a less expensive place for two nights. I was thinking somewhere in Bellagio. Does anyone have suggestions?

howard Feb 12th, 2001 06:20 PM

I recommend the Hotel Belvedere in Bellagio. Excellent hotel with a wonderful, friendly, helpful and efficient staff. And the view from your room is magnificent (ask for a room on the 3rd floor or higher, where the view is especially great). <BR>Check out its website (www.bellagiobelvedere.com) <BR>Email: [email protected] <BR>It's about a 10-minute scenic walk to the downtown/waterfront area.

Rex Feb 12th, 2001 07:01 PM

Menaggio is another alternative. <BR> <BR>Grand Hotel Victoria <BR>Lungolago G. Castelli, 7 <BR>I-22017 Menaggio (Co) Italy <BR>Tel: 011-39-0344-32003 <BR>Fax: 011-39-0344-32992 <BR>e-mail: [email protected] <BR>web: www.palacehotel.it/fghv.html <BR> <BR>Comes with the availability of private boat rental (skippered). A great way to get to Villa Balbianello. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Jo Feb 13th, 2001 08:19 PM

We stayed in Varenna, across from Bellagio at a quaint reasonable inn called the Albergo Olivedo. Run by an interesting gal named Laura. It's right near the ferry docks and they run until 10 at night, but easy to get to Bellagio. Check it out in Karen Brown's B&B books. They do have a fax.

susan Feb 14th, 2001 06:53 AM

What about the Hotel Florence? I've read good things about it. How does it compare to the Belvedere in quality and price. I understand it is right along the water in the town of Bellagio.

Heather Feb 14th, 2001 07:11 AM

Gail, I stayed at the Hotel Florence in 1998 and a double room was around US$70/night (off-season in March, tho). In 1997, I stayed with a friend at the Albergo Silvio for approx US$45/night (also in March). The food at Silvio was terrific and our room had a tiny balcony with a view of the lake. The breakfast (the hot chocolate was unbelievable) was served inside with a giagantic window overlooking the lake and mountains. If you're interested, I'll find the Silvio's contact information at home.

susan Feb 14th, 2001 07:59 AM

In season, The Florence is telling me 350,000 lira for a double with lake view and balcony, which they will guarantee for my dates in September. I don't mind that price if it is really a nice place, and it looks like it is on their website. The Belvedere won't confirm a lake front with balcony, only whatever is available. Why pay their price if we get stuck with a room that doesn't even face the lake? Are you saying that a lake view room at Silvio would be just as nice? Or just a lower price place to stay?

Gail Feb 14th, 2001 06:14 PM

I would love the info on the Silva. I just heard back from the Villa DEste and it is more than I thought, but oh well. Someplace very cheap would help. <BR>Thanks. <BR>Gail

coco Feb 14th, 2001 07:57 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the Albergo Silvio is even further out of "town" than the Belvedere. I've only been there to eat their wonderful dinners. In Bellagio I'd personally recommend the Florence, Hotel du Lac or the very inexpensive Excelsior Splendide which has a great charm of its own. I'm not familiar with the other seemingly very nice hotels there along the lake front. I've lately taken to staying at the Villa Serbolini--a fabulous place, but while less than Villa d"este still somewhat pricey. (Tho worth every penny in my opinion.)

Mike Feb 15th, 2001 03:12 AM

I would endorse Silvio's, even though I only ate there. It is right on the shore at the western edge of town. Father and son fish in the lake for the restaurant. Unlike the Belvedere, the walk into town is on the level. It is no great distance at all (800 yards or less?) These two are among the best hotels for views. Room rate for Silvio's last autumn L110,000. Call it $50. Meals are about the same for two - maybe less! In my view, that is insanely cheap, but I think you should ASK for a lake view. <BR> <BR>I didn't make it to Varenna, but I have to say that Bellagio is just so much the best place on the lake IMHO. <BR> <BR>As for web sites - Silvio's don't even take credit cards! ATMs in Bellagio, so that's not an issue. <BR> <BR>For a little luxury, maybe consider Il Sole di Ranco on Maggiore (very convenient for airport, see trip report (can't find!) by Lori) or L'Albereta on Lago d'Iseo. Both are Relais. L'Albereta is run by Italy's most famous cook, but is less than half Villa d'Este rates. Il Sole is a small family business.

Mike Feb 15th, 2001 03:24 AM

Silvio's tel no is 031 950 322.

Gail Feb 17th, 2001 08:33 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied. I looked up the Silva and I am going to book there.

susan Feb 17th, 2001 08:59 AM

I was still hoping someone could tell me more about the Silvio, particularly the rooms. I guess I'm just concerned why it would be less than a third the price of The Florence, unless the rooms are really tiny and dismal or have pretty bad bathrooms. So far, most people have simply said that the food is good there and the views are nice, but I'm pretty particular about rooms. I like one nicely furnished and a lot of character, no peeling paint or broken down beds. And I like a nice bathroom with shower in the tub, etc. Is this Silvio's? There are pictures of beautiful rooms on the Florence's website, but I'd like a better idea of how the rooms at Silvio's would compare.

gail Feb 18th, 2001 08:10 AM

Heard back from the Silva and they are fully booked for the dates I am looking for at the end of July. Does anyone know anything about Excelsior Splendido?

coco Feb 18th, 2001 08:02 PM

The Excelsior Splendid is a wonderful hotel with rock bottom rates. Almost all of the rooms face the lake and are furnished simply, but are clean and with many charming details--mantles, built in cupboards, gigantic windows. The proprietress is a very intersting woman with an adorable dog tucked under her arm at all time, very amusing. It's on the waterfront just down the street from the Hotel du Lac and the Florence. It books up fast, so check with them soonish.

Kathleen Feb 18th, 2001 09:27 PM

Hi Gail, <BR> <BR>The Silvio does have a website: <BR>http://www.bellagiosilvio.com/ <BR> <BR>The prices on the site are per person, not per room. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip. <BR>Kathleen

Gail Feb 19th, 2001 06:12 PM

I heard back for the Excelsior and because we will be there in July they only book for a week at a time. Hotel Du Lac responded very quickly so I booked there. They quoted a triple for 380.000. It is more than I wanted to spend, but this whole trip is turning into that. Oh Well. We wil have a great time and that is all that matters at this point.

coco Feb 19th, 2001 07:58 PM

The Hotel du Lac is an excellent choice! But do try to get to Silvio's for dinner one night (every night?!), it really is wonderful and a super bargain.