Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lake Como-- choose town or hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lake-como-choose-town-or-hotel-373563/)

iorioj Jun 5th, 2008 06:32 PM

Lake Como-- choose town or hotel?

My husband and I are managing to find a few days this July to spend in Lake Como area-- we will both be in Italy for business with some time overlapping.

Want to spend less than 150 euro on a hotel if possible, which is difficult at this late date.

Is it better to stay in a good location (Bellagio--Hotel Excelsior Splendide) at a so-so hotel or stay at a better hotel in another location (Mennagio- Grand Hotel Mennagio, Como- Hotel Barchetta Excelsior)? Given the short trip, want to not worry as much about logistics. However we will be taking the train from Malpensa...

Any advice would be welcome!

Jean Jun 5th, 2008 07:32 PM

I wouldn't stay in the town of Como, but either Bellagio or Menaggio (or the unmentioned Varenna) would be nice. (Personally, I prefer Bellagio or Varenna over Menaggio.) I don't have experience at any of the hotels you mention. I highly recommend air conditioning.

But does it have to be a hotel? Look at the apartments at Residence La Limonera in the middle of Bellagio. They still have lots of availability at 150 euros or less.

www.residencelalimonera.com

luvtotravel Jun 5th, 2008 10:36 PM

For a short trip and arriving by train from Malpensa, I recommend Varenna. Charming small town and you can catch the ferry to other locations. If you decide on Varenna, a suggest a visit to the villas Cipressi and Monestaro -- within walking distance of one another.

ekscrunchy Jun 6th, 2008 03:02 AM

I don't think, at least from what I have read here, that Bellagio is the "best" location. I asked a lot of questions and decided to stay in Menaggio, although price was not the primary deciding issue. Unless I am wrong, any people choose to NOT stay in Bellagio:.

You can read some of the responses I got here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35130024

Dukey Jun 6th, 2008 03:10 AM

Despite the popularity of Bellagio on this board, we also opted to stay in Menaggio and I would agree that staying in any of the three mid-lake towns might be more ideal than in the city of Como itself.

The Grand in Menaggio is in an ideal location next to the ferry dock and is also within walking distance of the town square area and the lakeside promenade.

You'll find Menaggio to be somewhat less tourist-clogged than Bellagio if that is any sort of an issue for you.

GranthamMommy Jun 6th, 2008 04:24 AM

While some of the other towns are prettier/quaint etc there is nothing wrong with staying in Como itself.

We stayed in a hotel on Piazza Cavour last July for four days. The ferry stop is right there. So you can visit Bellagio, etc

On the weekend there were stages set up for different bands to play. I had some of the best gelato on my trip.

If you like to run there is a lovely park along the waterfront.

cheryl

ekscrunchy Jun 6th, 2008 04:31 AM

This hotel in Como looks nice and the rates fit your range..(115 double)

http://www.hotelmarcos.it/ENL'hotel.htm

hausfrau Jun 6th, 2008 06:16 AM

I have very limited experience with Lake Como but we were thrilled with our lakefront room in Bellagio at the Hotel Metropole and it's within your budget (we paid 147 Euro last August). I was pleasantly surprised to find the town relatively quiet in the evening. Since you'll probably be out and about around the lake during the day, I don't see any problem staying in Bellagio.

If you stay there, be sure to have a meal outside at the Hotel Florence, just down the street.

lupinelady Jun 6th, 2008 06:30 AM

Just returned from this area while researching an itinerary for my company Serendipity Traveler which
offers inspired travel for women.
All the towns are exquisite. I would prefer not to stay in Como which is a small city rather locate in the Bellagio region.
Recommend visiting the exquisite villas that abound in the area as well and using the ferry to visit. Each town has its distinct flavor, character and charm for you to absorb as a traveller rather than a tourist.
Ciao

i_am_kane Jun 6th, 2008 06:32 AM

We stayed at the lakefront Hotel Metropole last month (May)for five nights. Our spacious room (and bathroom) were perfect for us.

This hotel only has five lakefront rooms with terrace, which have two chaise lounges and a small table with two chairs and market umbrella. Our terrace was larger than the two terraces flanking it, and we couldn't wait to get back in the afternoon to spend time there (sometimes including lunch).

The bedroom area has "French" doors leading out to the terrace. Also the bathroom has the same "French" doors leading out to the terrace. As I said previously, the terrace was large.

The continental breakfast was varied (including the coffee selections) and there was always lots of food out for the guests.

I highly recommend this hotel, and we would stay there again if we visit Bellagio. The staff was friendly and helpful.

We did visit Menaggio, Varenna and Tremezzo, and they are lovely towns, but prefer Bellagio.

Mimar Jun 6th, 2008 06:51 AM

Well, eks, the recommendation of Menaggio was for your particular preference. I think Bellagio is ideally located on a peninsula midlake, looking uplake towards the Alps. And right between Varenna on the east shore and Menaggio on the west shore.

Location-wise, Menaggio would be better only if you want to take the bus to Lugano.

I think we all agree that Como town, being a small city and at the south end of the lake, is less desireable.

Jean Jun 6th, 2008 09:32 AM

Are you flying into Malpensa and then departing immediately for Lake Como, or are you departing from Milan after a few days of business there?

If Malpensa, take the Malpensa Express train (heading for Milan) and get off at Saronno. Switch to a train headed for Como. (The time between trains will be about 10 minutes.) Take the hydrofoil to whichever mid-lake city you decide on.

If Milan, go to Milano Centrale Stazione and take a train to Varenna-Esino. From Varenna, ferry to wherever. If you're returning to Milan after Varenna, buy a round-trip ticket in Milan. If you're going to Malpensa after Lake Como, use the reverse of the route set forth in the previous paragraph (Como to Saronno to Malpensa).

iorioj Jun 10th, 2008 03:14 AM

Flying into Malpensa, then to Como for a few days. Then back to Milan-- my husband will be there for business and I will be taking the Eurostar to Florence for a few days for business. I assume this is the quickest, easiest way to get there?

Thanks to all for the great advice--right now we are booked in Menaggio at the Grand Hotel Mennagio.

The Metropole in Bellagio looks fabulous, however there is no availability the days that we are there! I am going to keep searching for something in Bellagio, but if it doesn't come up I think we can home base in Menaggio, based on all your comments, and travel from there. I can't wait- the region looks absolutely stunning.

On to the next topic-- Any restaurant recommendations are welcome...!

ekscrunchy Jun 10th, 2008 03:34 AM

I will also be staying in Menaggio, (in the fall, at the GH Victoria) so am looking for eating tips.

Julie Vikmanis has started an excellent thread on dining in the area..

But how are you getting a room at the GH Menaggio for 150 euro?

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35134373