Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lake Como. Car or boat? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lake-como-car-or-boat-951270/)

Baja Sep 21st, 2012 01:44 PM

Lake Como. Car or boat?

What is the best way to spend a full day exploring lake Como? Boat or Car?

I have a full day (early morning to early evening) to spend around Lake Como at the end of April, I will have a rental car and I was thinking of driving from Como on the West coast of the lake first, all the way up (North)and then all the way down back on the East coast to Milan. My hotel will be in Milan during that leg of our trip. My concern is that I will be spending a lot of time driving and less time enjoying the moment. I do not mind driving, but I do not want to miss a lot. The other option is to park in Como and take some kind of boat tour or rent a boat or take water taxi.
Are there towns in Lake Como that I just should not miss?

Thanks

HappyTrvlr Sep 21st, 2012 02:20 PM

Park in Como and take the ferry north to Bellagio, Mennagio, Varenna, Lenno. Driving is difficult on the road around the lake, narrow, two lanes, mountains coming down to the road.
The old section of the city of Como is worth some time too.

adrienne Sep 21st, 2012 04:59 PM

Driving on the west side is much easier than the east. You could drive to Mennagio and park the car and then take the ferries to the other lake towns mentioned above. The driving HappyTrvlr talks about is the east side of the lake. I've done both so I know the west side is very easy to drive.

I would not rent a boat - too much trouble, probably expensive - where would you dock it and do you have a license (if required). I didn't know there were water taxis on Lake Como but I guess there are since you mention taking a water taxi. I don't think that would save you any time over the regular boat.

I would not drive all around the lake since you won't have time to experience the lake towns.

Baja Sep 25th, 2012 07:50 AM

Thank you for your advise.

Dukey1 Sep 25th, 2012 08:20 AM

OR, don't even have a car. Take the train from Milan to Varenna-Esion (takes about 1 hr 30 minutes); take the ferry over to Bellagio and Menaggio. Take a fast ferry down to Como and train back to Milan from there.

Dukey1 Sep 25th, 2012 08:21 AM

Sorry, meant to say Varenna-Es<B>ino</B>

PalenQ Sep 25th, 2012 08:28 AM

buy a day's boat pass and have unlimited day's exploration to Bellagio and several other hot spots - driving lets you see the lake from one shore only - from the lake itself in a boat you can see both sides - driving IMO is a very poor idea, especially since it is difficult perhaps to find parking in Bellagio in peak periods.

Boat passes are cheap and boat service in season is very frequent.

jent103 Sep 25th, 2012 09:21 AM

I agree with Dukey - if you don't need a car for other reasons, with just a day, I'd take the train and ferries. It's an easy ride from Milano Centrale, and lets you experience the lake without worrying about directions, parking, etc. You could easily fill a day with Varenna, Bellagio and Menaggio (or just two of the three, depending on how quickly you tour around).

If you do need the car, I'd still park it somewhere and take the boat around if your goal is to see the towns.

Baja Sep 25th, 2012 12:04 PM

Awesome information! Thank you. I think we will park the car in Como, take the boat from there, less stress about parking and overall waste of time.

HappyTrvlr Sep 25th, 2012 12:47 PM

Good idea Baja. I have driven both the east and west side roads several times and the ferry will give you a much better view and experience. Enjoy a beautiful day on Lake Como.