Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lake Como Apartment/Village recommendations for family

Dec 30th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

When my husband and I made our list of places to visit in 2009, Italy came up 4 times on the list! So we started by booking a flight to Lake Como for late May of this year. We are very excited about finally seeing this part of our favorite destination.

I need some help in narrowing down our accommodation choices.

We're flying in and out of Milan Linate, and we are not planning on renting a car unless absolutely necessary.

We'll only be there for 5 days/4 nights, so it is a short trip.

I think that Menaggio or Bellagio are our best bets in terms of convenience and activity, am I right?
We have 2 small children, who will be ages just-turned-4 and 1.5 at the time of this trip, so our planned activities aren't too ambitious. Mostly, we want to enjoy the scenery, drink wine and relax. I'm sure we'll do some easy hikes, boat rides and perhaps some bike riding if we can find rental bikes with bambino seats.

I've inquired about availability at La Limone: http://www.residencelalimonera.com/index.htm

I also found this place in Menaggio on VRBO:
http://www.lakecomoholiday.com/bridg...e_bridge_e.htm

The price is certainly right on the above, but it doesn't have a garden or balcony for us to enjoy the lake, and I'm not sure how good the location is (appears to be in town, in a residential area). What do you Como experts think?

Does anyone else have any villa or apartment recommendations that are suitable for a family, and a convenient location without a car? Budget is pretty open, but I'd like to stay under 150-200 euro/night.

As always, I'm grateful for the advice and guidance!

Dec 30th, 2008, 03:23 AM

I am trying to find an excellent website on Lake Como rentals that I have looked at and posted here in response to similar queries in the past. (Perhaps we can find it here with a search but I am not too hopeful)

Meanwhile, I will give you this option south of Menaggio on a stretch of the lake that I particularly liked:

http://tremezzo.lakecomo.in/tremezzo...residence-pini

As for the Menaggio rental, make certain it is actually within 5 minutes walk of town, as it looks to be in the hills above.
Dec 30th, 2008, 03:29 AM

Found it!

http://www.bellacomo.com/properties/...es.aspx?type=a
Dec 30th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! The website you posted is very helpful with its listing of all the towns. The villas available on my dates are mostly in villages I'm not familiar with (Colico, Lierna, Domaso-Vercana). Colico & Domaso looks to be a bit far North for our purposes, I think it would be best to stay near the Varenna/Bellagio/Menaggio triangle, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the tip about the Menaggio apt above too, I didn't realize it was likely in the hillside and thus not a desirable location.

I've put an inquiry into the Tremezzo villa. It looks like a lovely location!
Dec 30th, 2008, 05:53 AM

Also look at www.bellagioanticopozzo.eu for good prices and location. We will be a week in Bellagio in Sep.
Dec 30th, 2008, 03:59 PM

In September, 3 of us stayed in La Limonera which you mentioned above and we were very happy with it. We had the garden apartment which cost us 158 eu. There is also a lake view apartment. The place is set in a nice garden and is right near some good restaurants and an alimentari where you can get any supplies.If you do stay there and are unable to get a taxi from the ferry wharf, don't follow the advice to walk up the steps to La Limonera. Instead walk to the end of the road to the left when you face away from the water and continue around to get to the apartment. It is slightly longer but much better as you will have to cart your luggage up steep steps the first way but this way you can pull it along if it has wheels. Good luck!
Dec 30th, 2008, 08:18 PM

I've stayed at La Limonera and at the apartments at Villa Serbelloni and had good stays at both, though unless you want access to a swimming pool I'd prefer La Limonera, and at some times Villa Serbelloni apts. rent by the week which won't help you.

La Limonera is right in town in Bellagio, all right; I loved the location personally--if you use this one be sure to get the arrangements for getting the key squared away, as the office person keeps rather limited hours on some days. It's a lovely spot and very true to the website photos.

L'Ulivo (the VS apartments) is also in Bellagio but at the end of the downtown; there are family apartments with large living areas and one separate bedroom. The Villa itself is quite expensive but the apartments are a fairly good deal. You can use the facilities of the VS main hotel such as the indoor and outdoor pools, and I think there may be some swings or play area on the grounds, if memory serves; that said, the hotel itself is on the snooty side and I'm not sure how they will be with young children; maybe someone else has some insights.
Jan 5th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help. I just received a reply from La Limonera confirming an available room, so I think we're going to go with that option. I understand there are lots of stairs, which might not be fun with a buggy and a 3 year old, but we'll manage. Just have to bribe the kidlet with lots of gelato!

I'll report back on our trip. Can't wait!
Jan 5th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Hi dexters

I stayed at La Limonera in May of last year, you will love it.

" I understand there are lots of stairs, which might not be fun with a buggy and a 3 year old, but we'll manage"

Do as Peteralan suggests and take the road around if you think it will be difficult bringing a stroller up the stairs. There is a gelato shop right outside the gate of LL.

Have fun!

Johanna
May 26th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Wanted to come back and update on La Limonera. We just returned from our stay, and had an excellent time. I can't thank those of you who commented here enough for the help. We were so pleased with our apartment. We had #22, the garden apartment, and it was perfect for our family of 4. We were able to throw open the doors and let the kids wander around the courtyard, which was perfect for letting them blow off some steam. The apartment was spotless, and we thoroughly enjoyed our trip. If there are more beautiful places in the world than Lake Como, I don't know where they could be!

Thanks again for all of the help!
Jul 21st, 2009, 04:35 PM

bookmarking