Notices

Lake Como & Tuscany

Jul 21st, 2014, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Lake Como & Tuscany

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Italy. We plan to go late Sept/early Oct of next year (2015). We want to take a direct flight from the States so we'll be flying into either Milan or Venice and spending 10 to 12 days in Italy. Our destinations are Lake Como and Tuscany. I thought we could start in Lake Como and spend a few days there and then head to Tuscany. I plan to get a hotel in Florence and spend a few days there & take a day trip to Pisa. I thought we would then head south into the Tuscan countryside and tour some wineries and have a cooking class. I'd like to find a central location to stay while we're in this area. We were thinking of having a private tour guide for the Tuscan area but I haven't really found any guides that don't start at the boat docks or Rome so I think we'll be on our own. How does this sound as a starting point for my planning? Accepting any and all suggestions
Jul 21st, 2014, 12:04 PM

With that plan you might want to fly into Milan and fly out of Rome.

I suggest the Val d'Orcia area in southern Tuscany for the "countryside" portion of your trip. The area around Montalcino, Pienza, and Montepulciano is beautiful. I would suggest a car for this part of your trip.

A guide in Tuscany that is often mentioned here that people seem to like is Luca Garapa at Hills and Roads.

http://www.hillsandroads.com
Jul 21st, 2014, 12:14 PM

What US airport?
Jul 21st, 2014, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

JFK

Search this Thread