Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lady Alone for 3 nights in London - Kew Gardens & Theater - Where to Stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 10:59 AM
TC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a chance to make a very quick trip to London - literally a weekend. I want to see the Daly Chihuly exhibit at Kew Gardens and maybe one or two theater shows before returning home -- in and out of Gatwick Airport. I've only been to London once before, so I'm not very familiar with the areas.

Any suggestions on what area would be best for accommodations? Central London or nearer to Kew Gardens? Is it easy to get to Kew if I stay in London?

Any great suggestions for B&Bs? I would like to stay within a budget of $300 - $400 USD total for hotel. I know that's tight, but might it be possible at a B&B or small boutique hotel? I don't need a fancy hotel, but want it to be in a good location, safe, helpful (if I need advice), clean, bright, modern facilities -- no shared bath.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 11:04 AM

I'd recommend trying for something on priceline. Kew is in zone 6 for the tube, I believe, so it is accessible -- just make sure to get a day weekend pass that includes zone 6. With that information, it's reasonable to stay anywhere there is a tube station.

I got the Copthorne Tara on Priceline last month for $70 a night, and it was clean, comfortable, and 300 yards from a tube station.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 12:07 PM
TC
Original Poster

GD, What parameters did you use on Priceline to get this hotel? I've never used PL and would feel very uneasy bidding on a city where I am so unfamiliar. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 12:11 PM
jay

We stayed at the Reubens at the Palace. It is 1 block from Victoria Station and is a great hotel. From there you can catch the tube to Richmond and take a short bus ride to Kew. It is also convienient to catch the Gatwick Express. The theater district is also within walking distance (if you like a long walk). We saw The Lion King. Be sure to spend some time in Richmond as it is a very nice area.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw the Producers last month. It was sensational.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 12:20 PM
jay

Schuler, that was my choice but I was out voted 1 to 1.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 12:45 PM

I went to London in July and I also bid on Priceline and got the Tara . . . it took me 3 tries and finally got it for $75. I started off bidding on Notting Hill/Bayswater, added Soho, then Kensington/Earl's Ct.

The hotel was very nice, I emailed them after my bid was accepted and asked for a non-smoking room w/twin beds and they accommodated my request. They even gave us a 10£ voucher to use in the bar or cafe.

Good luck!
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 01:05 PM
cw

We went out to Kew Gardens last November. It's a short walk from the Underground station. When you know where you are staying you can easily get the information on how to get there from: www.tfl.gov.uk/tube
Click on journey planner. After Kew, you can have lunch or tea at the "Original Maid of Honours" nearby. But I think I saw here recently that it was closed on Sunday.

We stayed at the DeVere Cavendish on Jermyn St., a quiet street just behind Fortnum and Mason and close to Green Park and Picadilly. Very safe area, and easy to walk to the theatre, and accessible to many of the sights.

We booked the hotel through the British Air Holiday site (you don't have to be flying BA) and got a very good price.

cw
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 01:08 PM

As you're travelling alone I'd suggest staying centrally so that travelling back to the hotel after the theatre is easier (cheaper if you use a taxi, or busier if you're using the tube or bus).

It's less hassle to travel out to Kew once than to travel in from zone 6 for the rest of the trip.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 01:19 PM

We did priceline for a London trip in April and got the 4* Waldorf Hilton right in the theater district for $115 a night. Great location.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 01:28 PM

I also bid four star in Mayfair and got the Waldorf Hilton for $120. It was perfect. I was travelling alone and I appreciated the amenities. Great Moulton Brown soaps, etc., a microwave and a fridge, free bottled water daily and newspaper. I was very pleased with my single accomodation there.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 02:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreeing with others to stay in Central London vs. Kew. If your dates are set in stone, I'd definitely go for a Priceline hotel. A 4 star should be well within your budget. As you're flying in and out of Gatwick, hotels around Victoria Station would make sense. Look at biddingfortravel.com for PL bidding strategies. PL hotels near Victoria fall under the Westminister category (pretty sure about this).
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 04:19 PM

cw,

What did you think of the DeVere Cavendish? You mentioned that it's in a good location and you got a good price (which are certainly considerations), but I'd be interested in what you thought of the hotel itself (rooms, service, etc.). Thanks.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 06:14 PM
cw

Bree,

We arrived late on our first night and were given a small room, I think a single (no door on the bathroom). I tried to change rooms but they were full but promised a better room in 48 hours.

When we returned to our room the next day, they had a new room for us. It was on a higher floor, a view towards Green Park. We were pleased. The room was a good size for London and we didn't feel cramped.

The rooms have a mini bar,and computer links. The style is modern and clean. The staff, dressed in white shirts and khakis, were helpful and friendly. The included continental breakfast was ample, and the service was prompt and pleasant. We used the laundry service but not much else, but everyone was completely responsive to any request.

There is computer access (for a modest fee) off of the small lobby, near the bar area. The restaurant is on the second floor.

I would definitely stay there again. The central location cannot be beat.

cw

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 07:40 PM

When my daughter stays alone in London, she stays at a Jurys hotel in So Kensington.
Dale Chihuley! he is so amazing! Have tea at the Maids in Waiting (I think is the name) right outside the walls of Kew Gardens.
Getting to Kew is as easy as getting on a train for a 10-15 minute ride..then you walk to the gardens, it is so close. ( our friends live there so we are happy to visit them and get to go to the gardens all in one visit)
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 10:20 PM

The tea shop near Kew is the Maids of Honor - yes do stop there on your walk back to the tube station.

priceline is a good option in your case. But DO NOT try PL until after you have carefully studied biddingfortravel.com. Not only does it list the hotels you would likely win in each zone, it gives bidding strategies so you don't pay too much and have a better chance of making a winning bid.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 05:56 AM
TC
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I shall investigate everything you've said.

Scarlett: Here is the link for photos of Chihuly's exhibit at Kew. It is amazing! Does anyone know if the crowds are outrageous to see this show?

http://www.chihuly.com/installations/kew/index.html
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 07:11 PM

What sandy_b said

Do a little research on www.biddingfortravel.com or www.betterbidding.com. They have lists of hotels that Priceline uses per area. Find an area that has NO hotels you DON'T want, and you are pretty safe bidding in those areas.

I would personally recommend Mayfair or Kensington. The most important thing is if the hotel is close to the tube -- Copthorne Tara was about 300 yards from the tube station, which was great!
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 07:21 PM

Thank you janis, I can never seem to keep that name straight! It is the name of the little tea cakes, right?

Thank you TC, we are in Portland Oregon and there are galleries all around here with his work. He is amazing indeed!
Have you been to Las Vegas? The ceiling in the lobby of the Bellagio Hotel is all Chihuly glass flowers with a nice gallery of his work ( and you can buy it if you wish )
Have a wonderful time..

Here is the Royal Botanical Gardens website..in case you haven't got it..

http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/chihuly/