Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ~Laduree Paris - Favorite Macaroon Flavor~ (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/laduree-paris-favorite-macaroon-flavor-300814/)

Beatchick Mar 25th, 2003 04:27 PM

~Laduree Paris - Favorite Macaroon Flavor~

Hi, my name is Mary. I'm going to be in Paris in less than 3 weeks. Since we've done favorite desserts at Angelina & favorite flavors at Berthillon, I was curious to find out people's favorite macaroon flavor at Laduree!! : ) ~MaryC

francophile03 Mar 25th, 2003 06:27 PM

I believe it's pistacchio (light green color).

daph Mar 25th, 2003 08:43 PM

Try LeNotre's too! They have shops all over Paris.

Ursula Mar 25th, 2003 09:51 PM

Hi Mary!<BR>For me, definitely chocolate!<BR><BR>At the shop (Laduree!), I like to look at all of them, mainly because of the beautiful colours!

SloPugs Mar 25th, 2003 10:06 PM

ROSE, Pistachio and almond! YUM! I (very carefully) brought a big box back of assorted flavors to my favorite local nursery. None of them had ever experienced these types of macaroons; they were totally dazzled visually and by their delicious flavors and raved about them long after they dissappeared.

MelJ Mar 26th, 2003 05:15 AM

Hi, Mary! Raspberry, then chocolate! We stopped every day on our way back to our hotel on Rue Jacob to pick up a few for our evening snack (from the Laduree's on the corner of Rue Jacob and Rue Bonaparte).<BR><BR>Have a great trip--I know how much you love Paris. So glad you're going back!

jody Mar 26th, 2003 05:42 AM

HI M M ...<BR><BR><BR>Chocolate!!! But try one of each so you can tell us yours!<BR><BR>How many days???

Ursula Mar 26th, 2003 05:49 AM

JOdy, GTYR!<BR><BR>One of each! ;o)<BR><BR>Do you have an idea, how many this will be? At least some 20, with all the specials of the season, I'd say.

oldorch Mar 26th, 2003 05:52 AM

(we just finished the last of ours yesterday) another vote for chocolate with pistachio a distant second. cheers

Ursula Mar 26th, 2003 05:54 AM

<BR>Here they go:<BR><BR>Flavours’s macaroon change depending on seasons. <BR>Laduree proposes 20 sorts of flavours: <BR><BR>Chocolate, black chocolate, vanilla, coffee, rapsberry, praline, orange, chestnuts, pistachio, lemon, rose, caramel, violet flavoured blackcurrant, Yunnan tea, mint, almonds, Toffy, coconut, lime and Basil, rose, cherries Amaretto, apricot Ginger and the last one is : Muscovado.

Barb_in_Ga Mar 26th, 2003 06:24 AM

Can someone tell me what these macaroons are made of? Are they mainly meringue, or almond? My husband cannot have even a little bit of wheat flour, because he is gluten intolerant. That means he can't have bread, pastries, pasta, etc. We're going to Paris in May, and I'd love to know that he could have a treat while the rest of us munch on our croissants and pastries. Is there a web site, or a fax number for Laduree's? Thanks, Barb

jody Mar 26th, 2003 06:47 AM

Yikes...I never saw the chestnut ones...darn.. I love chestnut..calls for a trip to Paris soon!!

ira Mar 26th, 2003 09:16 AM

Hi Barb,<BR> Go to www.google.com and look up &quot;Laduree Paris&quot;.

jody Mar 26th, 2003 09:25 AM

Barb...do be careful..some macaroon recipes do call for a small amount of flour. I'd check each individual flavor's ingredients, they may be different.

Beatchick Mar 26th, 2003 06:16 PM

Hi Guys (er, I mean, Ladies!!), thanks so much for the input!!<BR><BR>Here's Laduree's website:<BR>http://www.laduree.fr<BR>(you can click on &quot;The Shop Laduree&quot; to see the lists of macaroons, etc. but to see the menu lists -breakfast/lunch/dinner- you'll have to go to the French/Bienvenue side as the English version doesn't have it listed yet)<BR>HI!! Ursula, thanks for providing the list of macaroons for everyone's edification. ; ) And that's BITTERSWEET, DARK chocolate, no, cherie?? I trust your taste so I must have one!!!!<BR><BR>Francophile03, I do declare I will try the pistache. That light green color will be perfect for Easter, too!<BR><BR>Daph, thank you for the suggestion. I had Lenotre send me some brochures last year and I've been drooooooling over them ever since but haven't been able to get there yet. Maybe I can squeeze it in this trip!<BR><BR>SloPugs, I think I saw you mention that on another thread, didn't you? What a fabulous gift to bring back!<BR><BR>Now, Mel Belle, you know you've got me hooked with raspberry &amp; chocolate!! I cannot resist that combination!<BR><BR>JOjo, 9 whole, full, glorious, fabulous days!!! Chocolate, definitely the chocolate! But as Ursula pointed out I can't surely eat all of them - I won't be able to stumble out of there and down the Champs Elysees to go anywhere else!! But I will definitely try some of these there and might buy a box to bring back to share with my family. : )<BR><BR>Thanks for voting, oldorch!! Must do the chocolate &amp; I really want to try the pistachio as well.<BR><BR>Barb, I'm not sure, but I was going to suggest that if your husband can't do anything else that he could at least do the ice cream at Berthillon on the Ile-St-Louis (and at the Galeries Lafayette). They'll serve it to him sans cone. That way he'll get to try one of the famous, sinful taste pleasures of Paris!!<BR><BR>Okay, so far we have 2 votes for pistachio, SEVERAL votes for chocolate, rose, almond, raspberry, &amp; chestnut. Mmmmm...sounds divine.<BR><BR>Thank you, everyone! @&gt;-&gt;---

mariacallas Mar 26th, 2003 07:25 PM

I thought they had a hazelnut.

Beatchick Mar 26th, 2003 08:02 PM

Hmmm, MariaCallas, I didn't see a hazelnut macaroon offered on the selection from the website but that doesn't mean it's not one of those seasonal items. BUT I did see this:<BR><BR>Le Plaisir sucr&eacute; <BR>Hazelnut” dacquoise” biscuit, flaky praline, thin slices of milk chocolate, ganache and <BR>milk chocolate whipped cream.<BR>(available all year)

mariacallas Mar 26th, 2003 08:37 PM

Ooh yummy, sounds luscious.

Ursula Mar 26th, 2003 09:51 PM

Beatchick,<BR><BR>I copied the flavours from Laduree's Eglish site. ;o)<BR>I guess, black chocolate must be bittersweet dark chocolate.<BR>Should we offer them to go over their translations? We don't want to be paid, of course, just a couples of macaroons every now and then by post would be fine. ;o)

Kavey Mar 27th, 2003 03:36 AM

I didn't even know what a Macaroon was, let alone that it came in such a range of flavours - I just thought it was a sort of thin cookie a bit like a brandy snap!<BR><BR>Now I am longing to try one...<BR><BR>Sigh!<BR><BR>I'd definitely want to try pistachio - a good pistachio ice cream is always one of my favourite flavours. Raspberry and chocolate sounds great too - we have a chain here called Millie's Cookies, found in shopping malls and train stations and high streets - they do a soft cookie in raspberry and white chocolate flavour...MMmm!<BR>