Ladies this one's for you

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am in the final days before departure to the UK. I am wondering if I should carry a purse. I am contemplating on carrying a tote with things that I will need ie:umbrella jacket for rain and of course map. The tote that I have is zippered and I can put it on my shoulder it isn't very big but big enough to carry named things and enough room to add purse if needed. Any thoughts?
What to you ladies carry?
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 03:19 PM

I carry a small tote and carry only my essentials.

I, too, am packing for UK. I am leaving on July 3 for Scotland, Wales, and England.

Have a great trip. Maybe I will run into you!
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

kla I am leaving on the 3rd also.
will be in london 4-7 and then edinburgh8-11 and then back to the states. Have a great time. Wouldn't it be funny if we did catch up?

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 03:40 PM

I am going the opposite. I start in Edinburgh and end in London. This will be my third trip to Europe and my first trip to Great Britain.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 03:56 PM

I have a big kilim bag I bought in Istanbul several years ago. Usually I wear it on my shoulder as a big bag (really just the size of a big purse), but the strap also "unzips" and I can wear it like a backpack. And it's big and roomy - so carry all the things I need, plus all the things that end up there (DH's sunglasses, DS's camera, water bottles, purchases, etc!).
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 04:39 PM

I have a nice tapestry-looking bag that I can wear over my shoulder or on my arm. I put my camera, sunglasses and various necessary odds and ends. I do not, however, carry my passport, credit cards or substantial amounts of money in the bag. For those items I use a money belt.

I also have a handy bag that I got from a bookstore. I used to carry that until I realized that it identified me as a tourist, so that I was hit up for donations from certain professional beggars (in Madrid).
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:03 PM

I carry a largish purse that zippers on top. I keep everything including guidebook & maps in it. It could hold a travel umbrella if needed. I prefer very lightweight material and have had good success with the Le SportSac purses.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:29 PM

If you have time before departure and are located near a department store (in Calif. such stores include Macys, Nordstroms or Gottschalks - possibly even a TJ Maxx or Ross)that carry brand name purses/bags, try looking for Kavu, Fossil, Keen, Timbuk2 and JanSport. Even Ed Hardy and Betseyville sell these types of bags. You may even find these at a sporting goods store (Big 5, Sports Chalet, Sports Authority). Most designers offer travel hand bags in shoulder, sling bag or cross body. I purchased a Kavu reversible bag and love it. The only downside is that the biggest compartment does not zip closed. However, they offer several other styles that do fully zip and are the perfect travel bag! Easily fit a dig. camera, chapstick, wallet and passport inside.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:29 PM

I second Le SportSac - I love mine. They are water repellent and very light weight. The adjustable strap let you sling them across your body to keep the bag close to you and keep your hands free for taking photos.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:36 PM

Le SPort Sac purses have enough room to carry personal papers, a notebook, lunch, a camera, small guidebook, odds/ends, and still not be huge. THey have enough pockets (3-4) but not TOO MANY(as do those triangular back-saver my bags). Also, the shoulder strap lengthens so you can wear it crosswise across the body (bandolier style).

For going on the plane, I put SportSac INSIDE a tote as my "personal bag" ...this also allows room to hold reading matter, jacket, other stuff. THe tote, BTW, is not a bulky item that will take up room when not in use... it is sturdy nylon w. shoulder strap -- and folds into itself and zips into a packet 4"x4". It's one of those Travel-Smart products available at Rite-Aid for about 4.99. At other times in the trip, this serves as beach bag or laundry bag -- this has worked well on 7 trips to greece of 3-4 wks each.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You are asking whether you should carry a tote AND a handbag? If so - nope. The less the better.

If you get a Le SportSac or similar that is all you need. I normally a mid-sized or a bit smaller le SportSac and it is plenty large enough for anything. Sometimes I throw in a fold-up tote or shopper in case I do some serious shopping.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:41 PM

I have been using smallish Sports Sacs for years. they are practically indestructible, weigh nothing, have sturdy strap for shoulder or bandolier style - and expand to hold everything you need for the day - guidebook, camera, umbrella, water bottle, jacket or sweater - and have small zipper compartments for the regular purse stuff - wallet, make-up, sunglasses etc.

At this point mine are from 8 to about 12 years old - and still look brand new. Depending on season/wardrobe I use black, navy or beige.

(And for evening out my wallet is oversize and has a small shoulder strap - which will hold money, ID, keys and lipstick etc.)

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 08:41 PM

I use the smallest shoulder bag that will hold my small essentials, and use a foldup nylon tote for things like water, maps, umbrella, etc. When it rains, the bag goes in the tote.

Out and about, I keep cash, cards, etc., in a security pouch, very deep front pockets (no wallet), or a hidden zipper pocket in my slacks.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 04:46 AM

Check out a Healthy Bag - you can fill them up with whatever and there is no weight on your shoulder or back. L L Bean sells them as do many other places. They are comfortable.
I usually take a very small purse along if I am planning evenings out while traveling. I pack it in my suitcase.

Another idea is the Pacsafe bags. I haven't tried one but the Metro 200 looks good.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 05:26 AM

I have a small nylon purse that I bought at Chico's. It can be carried across the body, on the shoulder or even (Yuck) as a fanny pack. I also got a matching large tote bag. I use the tote as my personal bag on the plane and put the little purse inside. The large bag has carried a small travel pillow, books, umbrella, snacks, etc. Sometimes I use the small purse walking around and sometimes just use the tote.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 05:44 AM

Having a good travel purse is definitely worth the time to research it and money to get it. It seems you have no time for buying online, but I have two Magellan's suggestions:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Packs...sesLB244?Args=

and,

http://www.magellans.com/store/Cloth...agsLB379?Args=
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 05:59 AM

Another vote for the LLBean bag. I have taken mine on several trips, and it really lasts. It has many zippered compartments, so you can separate aspirin, from bandaids, etc, and find things quickly when needed. I usually dress in colors that go with black. So I got the black one. On one trip I took a purse just in case, and never used it. Have a great trip! pp
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 06:07 AM
cd

For travel I have a large leather bag that can be carried either on my shoulder or across my body. It is large enough for everything I need and secure enough for passports and money. I never carry a purse. So, my vote for you is to go with the tote!
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 06:19 AM

I carry my regular leather zippered purse all the time whether I am traveling or not. I also carry a cotton tote bag (very much like an LL Bean but made by a friend) on the plane. This is for books, an extra sweater, top and undies if I check my bag. I use the tote for groceries, the beach picnics. If I go to the beach I would likely just tuck my wallet into the tote otherwise I carry my purse just as I do at home.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Another vote for LeSportsac. I took a group tour to South America a few months ago and at least six women were carrying the same style but in different colors and patterns.

I have several, in different patterns and sizes, all purchased at TJ Maxx at a discount. I use them only for travel because of the light weight and zippered compartments. I usually pack a nice, small leather purse to use when going out to dinners.

I also have a couple of the "weekenders" which are also light weight and great to pack and use on the return flight after purchasing items I don't want to pack in the checked baggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -