Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ladies, I need your help. I need to purchase a dual-voltage curling iron. Need suggestions for good product,.

Search

Ladies, I need your help. I need to purchase a dual-voltage curling iron. Need suggestions for good product,.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My title line pretty much says it. I am curl-challenged and will need a curling iron that actually works in Europe. I have used converters before, but the appliance never seems to work well. I've looked online for dual-voltage curling irons and, of course, they exist, but I would like recommendations from fellow travellers who have actually used them. Thanks so much!
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:01 AM

I bought mine from the Magellen catalog. It folded and came with a pouch to store when hot. It worked wonderfully while we were in Germany and Austria last month!
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:04 AM

For several years I've used the Revlon RV052, dual voltage. Just use the adapter for the plug, no converter, and it heats up just fine. I have thin hair, so don't know how it would work if you have thick hair.

Can't remember where I purchased it, but most likely at Wal-Mart or Target or the like.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:05 AM

The Conair ones at our local grocery store work wonderfully in Europe! Just make sure it's the dual voltage version. I've used them for years with no problem.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:05 AM

If the dual-voltage model isn't exactly right for you, wait and buy a Europe-specific one when you get there. I got a very inexpensive one (less than 10E) in Amsterdam and have used it again in Spain and Italy.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:51 AM

Trouble with buying them in Europe, IME, is that they only come in one size--small diameter. If that's the size you want, that's probably easiest way to do it. I want 1 1/4", and could not find in France, England, or Italy.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:53 AM

I bought a flat iron Connair at my grocery store for $9.99 and it does the trick!
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:55 AM

My wife uses a Conair. Comes in different diameters. Got it at Longs Drugs.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:56 AM

Viajero2, I've never used a flat iron but have been curious about them; can you use them to get a bit of a "turn", if not an actual curl, at the end of your hair? That's all I use one for, and I hate to drag an expensive one from here plus all the converters, etc.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for this very helpful information. I wish I didn't need this particular appliance, but, alas, I do... And now I can purchase one which will help me be the not-so-ugly American in Italy this October.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:05 AM

Yes, you can use a flat iron to introduce a bit of curl to your hair. Just turn the end up or down as you'd like as you get to the end of that piece.

I bought one in Europe earlier this year and have used it for several subsequent trips. I just keep it with other travel-specific stuff (extra euros, tiny umbrella, etc.) and throw it in when I'm going to Europe.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:58 AM

vboltin,

Many years ago I bought a Braun butane curling iron. It requires no electricity, and runs on butane cartridges that are inserted into the handle. I love this thing since I don't have to worry about what country I'm in or carry anything extra.

If I'm going on a long trip (more than a week) I pack an extra cartridge just in case. They are about the size of a lighter, so easy to pack. I've never had to use the extra cartridge, but I like the security of knowing it's there.

The curling iron heats up very quickly, and this has been a really great solution for me.

Happy travels!

LisaG
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 10:41 AM

I have a Conair dual voltage that works fine in European countries.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 11:26 AM

I once bought a curling iron in Italy and it was so impotent it just got lukewarm (and it was too thin).

I suggest buying one before you leave, good suggestions on brands on this thread.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:08 PM

I use the Revlon dual-voltage. There are different barrel sizes 1", 1 1/2" and have also used the Butane.

Both work great. Can find at Target in black/red package for around $14.99. You have to look on the back of the package to see that it says dual-voltage. There is no BIG "dual-voltage" on the front of package.

Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:44 PM

I too suffer from fine, limp hair and I frighten small children when I don't curl it. I bought a generic one for about $10 in Germany, and it has worked just fine all over Europe.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Butane curling irons are a no no in airline travel as they are considered hazardous material! Just buy the curling iron overseas-it is soooo much easier with the heat situation. I use one that I bought at Monoprix in Paris many years ago for 12 euros and it works great. I also travel with the Remington travel roller set that is dual voltage that was about $19 at Target-just have an adaptor plug for it.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 01:59 PM

Here's another recommendation for Conair. I use the same one at home as for traveling. All you need is plug adapter.

I used to travel with a Butane model, but the barrel is not long enough. Last I heard, it's okay to bring on the plane with only one cartridge.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 02:07 PM

I found a Scusi flat iron with dual voltage that works -- the other one I had never got more than lukewarm. I would like to buy one in Italy, if I can figure out where to buy one in Venice.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 04:18 PM
emt

I second the suggestions to purchase one when you get there. You'll find them in any drug/grocery store - and they're generally cheaper that a dual voltage model purchased in US. I recently paid $29 for one from a travel website (can't remember which) and it barely got warm in the UK. Worthless. Ended up buying a cheap UK model at Boots Pharmacy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -