Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ladies-how many pairs of shoes? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ladies-how-many-pairs-of-shoes-620853/)

treble Jun 4th, 2006 04:45 PM

Ladies-how many pairs of shoes?

I will admit it, I love shoes. I have tons of them, and wear many throughout a week. I am having a hard time narrowing it down for our trip. I always take an athletic shoe, a sturdy black walking shoe, and then an assortment of sandals based on my clothing. I like to dress up in the evening. I am trying to pare it down to a total of five. Or maybe six...How about you? Guys--no snide comments, it's just easier for you...

laclaire Jun 4th, 2006 04:53 PM

I posted on my packing method a few posts back, and I believe in packing light, but basically, whatever shoe you take, make sure it works with at least 2 of your outfits, ideally 3-4. Unless there are exceptions (1 beautiful gown requiring just the right heels, for example), you should not need more than 3 pairs of shoes. . . thinking that with 3 pairs you have up to 12 outfits covered and that is a lot of options on very little material.

starrsville Jun 4th, 2006 05:05 PM

At least 2 pairs - no more than 3.

Croque_Madame Jun 4th, 2006 05:05 PM

Well, I myself always travel with at least 99 pairs.

To avoid hastening back to the hotel every half hour to change shoes, I carry two pair in my backpack, one (foldable) pair in my fanny pack, and then duct tape a few pairs of lightweight sandals to the hem of my skirt where they dangle most flirtatiously.

To get the utmost use out of the 99 pairs, I switch them about, some days wearing a black suede high heel on one foot and a sneaker on the other. Or a snowboot with a flip flop.

Wearing shoes of differing heights lends an air of raffishness, I think, that distinguishes one from the average tourist and injects the usual weary trudge up the Metro steps with a bit of hilarity.

padams421 Jun 4th, 2006 05:09 PM

I'm taking 2 pairs of shoes for 16 days in Scandinavia. One pair of hiking/walking shoes and a pair of black shoes.

gomiki Jun 4th, 2006 05:12 PM

Croque Madame, LOL, LOL

treble Jun 4th, 2006 05:15 PM

Croque-Madame--Merci, I needed a good laugh! I actually have made my DH carry an extra pair of sandals in the camera bag for when I tire of the walking shoes--usually at lunchtime...

nytraveler Jun 4th, 2006 05:17 PM

It depends on what kind of a trip it is. If it's business or a combo of business/vacation I have to take at least 5/6 pair to cover all the options.

If it's vacation I try to get by with 4 pair (one of which I wear on the plane) two sturdy - but cute walking shoes, and two cuter, dining out shoes - but usually flat sandals or a low wedge to account for coblestones and long after-dinner walks. (Even after so many trips I have never been able to learn to walk on cobblestones/uneven pavement in really high heels.)

cigalechanta Jun 4th, 2006 05:27 PM

Yea she's bacK.!!!
I've missed you CM.

StCirq Jun 4th, 2006 05:29 PM

I'm a regular Imelda Marcos at home...but when traveling I never take more than 3 pairs: one sporty comfortable walking shoe, one pair of attractive flats that can take me on 10-mile jaunts through Paris, and one pair of elegant but amazingly comfortable strappy heels. If it's not a trip that involves elegance, I take only two pairs.

DeborahAnn Jun 4th, 2006 05:30 PM

treble, I'm with you, at home I have a different pair of shoes for almost every outfit, how does one pare(pair) down;;) I am really going to hate leaving my darling lavender slides at home. They would look just perfect for walking around Paris but would not serve me well in the Alps ;;) Deborah

hopscotch Jun 4th, 2006 05:35 PM

treble,
You didn't need any snide guy comments. Fodor's Forum has the inimitable Croque_Madame. What a blessing. Funniest I have read in weeks.

camelbak Jun 4th, 2006 05:45 PM

On my visit to Florence last year I think I took.....5 pairs of shoes - 1 pair of runners (which after day 1 I wore everywhere!), 2 pairs of smashing pointy toe boots, 1 black boot, and 1 wedge sandal.

I wore the black boots once..and almost killed myself...didn't even try the pointy toe boots after seeing the cobblestones, and switched b/w the runners and sandals for the entire trip.

Next time....I will bring thicker heel boots, and nicer walker shoes....but will try to avoid the runners if I can to avoid the "tourist" look.

JandaO Jun 4th, 2006 05:46 PM

I bring 2 and buy 1 or 2 during my trip.

Madame,
my regards......

cigalechanta Jun 4th, 2006 05:46 PM

Too bad Thin has been banned again. I would have loved to read his comments(thet were always tongue in cheek but certain posters too them seriously and complained)

starrsville Jun 4th, 2006 05:49 PM

Again? Oh,no!

cigalechanta Jun 4th, 2006 05:50 PM

yes, again, sorry for all the typos, this terrible weather has me in bad shape.

seetheworld Jun 4th, 2006 05:53 PM

treble, I feel your pain. Sometimes I take along a bag just for the shoes!

Miss Polly/Thin is gone? No, say it ain't so! :(

cigalechanta Jun 4th, 2006 05:57 PM

yes he was last here as foruny pleats

cigalechanta Jun 4th, 2006 05:58 PM

fortuny