Labor Day in Italy

Search

Labor Day in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2021, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Labor Day in Italy

Hello all! If the stars align, I'm going to Italy next May, and I'm currently asking for the time off. I think I would like to leave on Sunday, May 1, which would mean arriving on Monday, May 2. However, will this be the official Labor Day celebration day, as it would be in the US if a holiday fell on a Sunday? I don't want to arrive on a holiday, as that will complicate getting set up in an apartment (getting groceries, etc.) - or will it?
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 09:13 PM

No May 1st is May 1st. Plus these days many shops etc remain open. The only issue is airports and train stations will be busier than usual. Some people going home others leaving.

Now you might find some small little one person shop closed but in general you won't have an issue.
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! That makes everything easy.
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 10:44 AM

Yo A&L, Labor Day in the Umbrian town of Bevagna was fantastic and worth planning to be there by design. Vendors set out a wide variety of international food kiosks, while locals held a multi-day live show at their historic little theatre and also held their annual tweener Communion at the church, all during that same long weekend. Oh almost forgot, the town also featured a series of live TV interviews with the local football/soccer team, mostly conducted by Miss Bevagna in the main square.
As if all that weren't enough, Bevagna also has excellent proximity to many outstanding daytrips.
Good Luck!
I am done. The end.

Last edited by zebec; Jun 29th, 2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 01:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
And Bevagna is flat! So much easier to explore the town without uphill streets.
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

I've thrown a monkey wrench in the whole thing and decided to go at the end of this August instead! I'm fully vaccinated, the covid and vaccination numbers in Italy look good, and they're letting Americans in. It should be a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be there when it isn't packed with tourists!

I will keep Bevagna in mind for a return visit. I will be back to Italy sometime in the future, and it will be in the springtime when I do.