La Tour d'Argent or Taillevent?

Jun 28th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

La Tour d'Argent or Taillevent?

Hello,
We want to splurge on one fantastic dinner in Paris. I've researched a bit and these two look very nice. My question is: which one offers the most memorable Parisian experience to celebrate our 30th anniversary?
Tour d'Argent looks like it has a wonderful view of the Seine, and Taillevent sounds fantastic. We want to have a wonderful dinner and atmosphere, and we are prepared for an expensive evening, but don't want to spend a small fortune (I'd rather shop! .
Jun 28th, 2005, 07:40 PM
mjs

Taillevent
Jun 29th, 2005, 05:54 AM

I think most would agree that Taillevent would be the better choice.
Jun 29th, 2005, 06:33 AM
ira

Hi cyber,

I'd see if I could make reservations ASAP for either.

www.taillevent.com

http://www.tourdargent.com/

Tour d'Argent is known for its great night-time view of Notre Dame and duck.

I'd go for Taillevent.

>..we are prepared for an expensive evening, but don't want to spend a small fortune,<

What is "expensive"?
You ought to plan on about 350E for two with wine.

Jun 29th, 2005, 06:39 AM

Taillevent for perfect food, service, and decor, but no view.
Tour d'Argent is a notch or two below in food, but still excellent, and that view IS unforgettable assuming your table and your chair overlooks it.
Either way it WILL be a small fortune.
Think about lunch if the price seems daunting.
Jun 29th, 2005, 06:47 AM

cybertraveler - A question: what is your definition of a small fortune versus an expensive evening? The reason I asked the question is because Taillevent's tasting menu runs 180 Euros per person without wine. That's $542.70US for the two of you without drinks with today's exchange rates. While I have not eaten there, my friends have, and they thought it was fabulous and well worth the money. Granted, the regular menu may be 10-15 Euros cheaper per person for dinner, but I imagine the cost of a bottle of wine and/or cocktails is equally expensive. I couldn't afford it, but if you can, go for it.
Jun 29th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Ian

Taillevent.

The best service I have ever experienced in a restaurant. Period.

We spent 1024 Euros for 4 several years ago. Tasting menu, Cristal, Haut-Brion, cigars etc.

Ian
Jun 29th, 2005, 07:03 AM

My husband and I went to Taillevant in November for my 50th birthday. It was truely a memorable experience. The food, the wine, the service--everything was perfect! It is expensive but I have never had a better dining experience.
Jun 29th, 2005, 07:15 AM

We have dined at both. Taillevent was, by far, a superlative evening. Impeccable service, food and ambiance. You really can't do better. I do not have such a positive memory of La Tour D'Argent. Do be prepared to spend a small fortune. For the three of us (we had our 11 year old son with us!)the bill was over $900.00. I do not regret one morsel!
Jun 29th, 2005, 07:15 AM

I've been to both and they were very memorable meals. I doubt you'd be disappointed with either one. Your decision will most likely be driven more by your ability to get a reservation for the date or dates you are in Paris, both places are always booked well in advance.

As a side note, I'm always intrigued when someone makes comments like "we are prepared for an expensive evening but don't want to spend a small fortune". That kind of statement is difficult to interpet since it can mean different things to different people. With that in mind, no one should go to La Tour d'Argent or Taillevent for dinner if they are on a budget and are not prepared to spend whatever it costs.
Jun 29th, 2005, 08:55 AM

Ian,

About those cigars...do people smoke them in the dining room?
Jun 29th, 2005, 10:50 AM

A small fortune is relative, but I agree with previous posters in saying you don't mind expensive but don't want to spend a small fortune. Taillevent is incredible. When we walked in at our reservation time we were adressed by name before we said who we were. I have been fortunate to have experience many fine restaurants and Taillevent tops all. The food was remarkable. We went for lunch had wine w/every course, but didn't get a bottle and still managed to spend 400 Euro, (not the tasting menu). It was worth every cent.
Jun 29th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone,
I have a much better idea of the actual cost of an evening at Taillevent. I had hoped not to spend more than $250 for two, just on principle. While we can afford a night like that, I could buy some very nice earrings in Florence for 350 euros!
It sounds wonderful, and worth the cost, but...Any suggestions for a memorable evening that's not quite so high in the stratosphere for price?
<:-}
Jun 29th, 2005, 03:34 PM

Paris is full of fine restaurants. The big question right now is how soon you are going and whether you will be able to get reservations for your date. I'd suggest you start looking at 1* restaurants, some of which are very, very nice--Astrance, Violon d'Ingres, Espadon--or 2*, such as Lasserre (a beautiful place).
Jun 29th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Underhill--I'm on it!
Jun 29th, 2005, 03:40 PM

Hi cybertraveler,

My husband and I were at La Tour d'Argent for our 8th anniversary in the end of May. You will spend a small fortune. Here's what we had:
2 glasses of champagne
2 starters (scrambled eggs w/ truffles)
I had the lamb medallians
my husband had duck
1 bottle of wine
2 desserts
1 port
1 coffee

The tab came to $733.

The view was spectacular, the service was attentive, professional and very good. In our opinion, no, the food was not the best we've had. It was very good, but not the best. Was it the most elegant restaurant I've been to? Probably. If not the most, one of the most, and, very, very romantic. I probably wouldn't go again to La Tour d'Argent (unless I was a treated guest), but we certainly don't regret the experience. It was special, romantic, beautiful, fun, and a good story to tell. BTW - the wine list was amazing! We got a good chuckle out of it all.

I just posted a link for our photos from our trip, which include photos from our night @ La Tour d'Argent (and the famous wine list is in one). If you'd like you can view them at:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...Uy=w0tofc&Ux=1

To get a thumbnail album of the photos (rather than a slideshow), go to the left hand top of the page & click where it says "(1 album)." At that point, you can scroll through. Tour d'Argent is probably about 1/2 way down.
Jun 29th, 2005, 03:47 PM

In February we found a restaurant by accident that was wonderful. It was in the Zagat's guide as a Bistro under one name, (I forget the name). We called and made reservations. We went to the address and the name was completely different. The phone number was the same as was the address. We walked in and they knew we were coming (though never mentioned the name change?) It was a very elegant, small traditional french restaurant. Thought we felt under dressed we stayed. It was wonderful! We each had the tasting menu. Besides the standard first, main and dessert course we were also offered the Chef's taster for the night as well as a cheese course and chocolates at the very end. The waiter, (who was the owner) suggested a wonderful wine. All told the meal for both of us was I think about 200 Euros. The name of the restaurant is Les Ormmes. and it is in the 7th. It is small and as I said elegant. The food was exceptional and I can't wait to return next year and eat there again.
Jun 29th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Ian

Underhill

Yes. In the dining room. They brought the selection, clipped them & lit them for us with brandy.

Ian
Jun 29th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi, again,
Katiebug, your night sounds like it was wonderful, but a $733 tab would make me faint! I think we have now defined a small fortune as it pertains to me. I'm so glad you posted, as that would not have been a good surprise early in the trip!

Underhill, I've been researching your suggestions and they look awesome. I am having some trouble finding the home pages for Astrance and Laserre, but I'm going to email our hotel to see if they can help. Is the Espadon in the Ritz? I'd love to go there as we stayed in the Ritz on our first trip, however I would think it would have to be very expensive there.

McBetsy, I couldn't get any results on Google for Les Ormmes--are you sure about the name? It sounds like a great choice for us.

Thanks for all the great information!
Jun 29th, 2005, 04:57 PM

cybertravler,

The tab was quite a surprise to us. We figured $300 - $400, I think I would have guessed - tops - $500, even after the experience, had I not known at that point. Of course, my menu didn't have prices on it, so I had no clue at first. It was once my husband told me we just spent about $280 after ordering the starters & the wine that I had a slight clue (oh, that wasn't including the 2 glasses of champagne).

But, what were we going to do... walk out? I don't think so. So, we laughed & just enjoyed it to the fullest.
At that rate, I don't think I need another Michelin 2* again.

Honestly speaking, the best food we had on our trip wasn't even in Paris, it was in London, at Chutney Mary. That was so good we went three times during our trip, including taking the train two hours each way, from Windsor on our last night of the trip.

Sorry, Paris foodies!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO