COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

La Tour D'Argent

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 10:15 PM
Geith

La Tour D'Argent

Any experience with this restaurant? Is it worth it? What is the average price of a meal without wine?

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 03:51 AM
Boo

Hi.

It has been several years since we ate there and I believe the place has somewhat fallen out of favor. I would suggest that you have lunch there. It will be much cheaper than dinner and the food will be just as good. That view of Notre Dame will distract you from any shortcomings. Haven't a clue as to tariff but lunch will probably be about a hundred bucks for two without wine.

B.A!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:39 AM
elaine

"Worth it" is impossible for one stranger to tell another. I've been there for lunch, tho' not for several years. It cost more than the estimate above, upwards of 100 per person at the time, dollars or euros, with only one glass of wine each. Lovely view of Notre Dame.

There are places like Tour d'Argent, and the Jules Verne to name just two, that are wonderful places to go to, but are not necessary (for me) to repeat.
Food was very good at T d'A, but I've had even better for the same approx cost.
I don't rule out going back someday, but there are other places that I prefer or long to try. That's not to discourage you from going.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:47 AM
xxx

There are two primary reasons most people who go to Tour d'Argent do so. It is either to take guests to impress them, or to be able to tell others they ate there. If either of those things make you feel good, then by all means do it and it will be worth it.

But let's face facts, that is no different that the primary reason most people go to the Louvre to see the Mona Lisa -- to say they've done it. Half those people wouldn't walk across the street to an art museum in their home town, and wouldn't know if that were the real Mona Lisa or a paint-by-numbers imitation.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:51 AM
Steven

The food is good, not the very best, but certainly worth eating. The canard presse is very good. What makes La Tour d'Argent incredible is not the view, but the wine list. Monumental.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:55 AM
xxx

See what I mean? Steven raves about the wine list, yet I wonder how many different bottles he drank there. I'd be willing to bet it was something you could get at many other places, but it is so impressive to see a huge list to choose from.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 01:12 PM
Steven

Chateau du Malle, 1905. Taylor's Vintage 1927. Ausone 1947.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 01:26 PM
elaine

xxx
You don't have to drink all the wine to be impressed by the wine list, you don't have to order all the clothes to admire them, you don't have to buy all the furniture in order to think it's beautiful, etc etc

Please don't make assumptions about the motives of people you've never met.
My tastes and not too often, my budget, make me want to try the best in order to have a possibly great experience, and in order to evaluate it against other experiences. Most people don't care where I ate, and I rarely talk about it unless asked by someone who is obviously interested.

I went to Tour d'Argent because I'd heard the food was excellent, the service gracious, and the view unforgettable. I had duck for lunch, but I don't remember the food or wine as much as I remember the view, which I can still picture perfectly in my mind.
I will never be sorry I went there, even if the food is surpassed in other places. If you prefer not, or don't care about the superlatives, then by all means choose for yourself, but let the rest of us do the same without being downgraded for it.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 02:40 PM
Bob

The view was great. Our room overlooked Notre Dame and we have a picture of us with it in the background.

The food was good also.

The thing I appreciated about the restaurant was the history of the place and all the famous people that have eaten there. Their pictures are on the walls. You then become part of that history.

I have a hard time ranking food and wine. To me a meal is a meal and you move to the next meal. I seldom remember the meals in Europe but I do remember the places we went. You cannot duplicate the history of some of these places or the location. You may get a better meal in Detroit but you will not get the same ambiance.

I say go for it and plan on about $200 per person (with wine) to have a meal you really enjoy. This is not a place for the "See Europe on a Budget" crowd and they frankly don't want those people anyway.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:50 PM
Wendy

The view was worth a million bucks, the food wasn't.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:55 PM
geith

Thank you all!

Think I'll pass. Tavillent sounds like a better choice.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 08:21 PM
mjs

It has been many years since I ate at the Tour D'Argent but I will have to say that the staff treated us extremely well, even moving us to a table over looking the Notre Dame early in the meal. (yes they did ask us if we wanted to move to another table with a better view) As we had just graduated from University and quite young, we were quite impressed by how well we were treated for our splurge meal. The food was superb. We ate the lunch fixed price meal which pretty reasonable. Even last month when I walked by the fixed price lunch was a decent E55 or so. The wine list was superb but like many other starred restaurants in Paris the sommelier was able to get us a lovely bottle of red wine, a beaune burgundy, for less than about $35. Dinner was much more expensive but I would imagine two people could have a very nice lunch for well under $200.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 08:03 AM
Toni

Well, I have missed something wonderful, I guess, because views are important to me as they are for Elaine. We did eat at a small cafe on a street along the side Notre Dame towards the rear, sat at a table and had a wonderful view of the rear buttrices, side gorgyles, and the lovely park behind the Cathedral. We enjoyed that afternoon very much and were satisfied with our lunch and the view. Just being in Paris and seeing the beauty all around it was such a blessing.