La Roque Gageac to Geneva

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Roque Gageac to Geneva

I need to do this drive, and would like to break it up, but am not familiar with the area.
Should I spend a night in Lyon, or somewhere else close by?
I will be traveling with a couple of 20 year olds, and do not want to spend a fortune~ inexpensive, but well located hotels/restaurants etc?
Any ideas??
Thank you
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Come on you guys -what's Lyon really like?
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 05:13 AM
ira

Hi B,

www.mappy.com says it 6hr from LRG to G.

It's 5 hr to Lyon.

Are you sure you need to stop?

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 06:19 AM

Bonjour Bellalinda,

Ira is right, it's a 6-7 hours drive, and Lyon is less than 2 hours from Geneva. Roads are ok but the first part of the itinerary suggested by Mappy may be tiring. Should you want to stop for the night, you'll find lots of rather ok hotels and excellent restaurants in most cities and villages you'll come across. The only hotel I know personally is "Hotel des voyageurs" in Saint-Germain-Laval (close to exit nr 5 of the autoroute A72), where my parents live. Food is excellent, rooms quite ok and prices reasonnable. There are lots of very good restaurants in almost all villages nearby, like the Savigny in Pommiers (4 km from St-Germain).

From there, it's a 3 hours drive to Geneva by the autoroute.

Be warned that entering Geneva through the autoroute, you'll have to buy the "vignette" (Sfr 40.-) that allows you to drive on all freeways of Switzerland for 1 year, which may or may not be a bargain depending on your plans.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 09:14 AM

I suggest that you should consider staying overnight in the picturesque town of Le Puy-en-Velay.
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

I know it has been awhile, but planning takes time.
I have read SD's itinerary for Sarlat to Gorge Du Tarn, and am thinking that this sounds too good to miss.
If I go that route and overnight in St Chely or St Enimie, I would need to head to Geneva the next day- I am thinking of a route through Le Puy-en-Velay.
Any thoughts or routes please?

Old May 18th, 2007, 09:49 AM

I second Le Puy-en-Velay. A part of the country that is often overlooked.
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:33 AM

If you want to keep the driving down to a minimum, I'de stop in the Puy du Dome area - west of Cleremont Ferrand. We spent two fabulous weeks there last year. It's a very scenic area, and if you'll be there in June, July, or August there are lots of very nice "lived in" chateaux in that region that are open for tours. Besse en Chandesse is a very cute town (however, you'll see lots of cute towns in the Dordogne), where you could stop for the night - but it's a bit off the freeway. The village of Mazaye in that same region is closer to the freeway exit and has a nice inexpensive hotel/restaurant (we only dined there). It's called Auberge de Mazayes - see viamichelin for more info & their web site.

However, I think the Tarn Gorge area would be more interesting than the Puy du Dome for a one night stay. Staying at the bottom of the gorge in a medieval village is thrilling. There are actually better stalactite & mite caves nearby, than there are in the Dordogne.

I perfer both the above regions over le Puy en Velay. We spent a day in le Puy when we stayed in the Ardeche for 2 weeks in '05. Of course, if you get an early morning start & tour until the later afternoon, you could visit both the Tarn and le Puy en Velay with an overnight in either. Allocate several hours for the Tarn - more if you plan to visit a cave.

The Tarn (including caves) & Puy du Dome are scenic nature settings, and le Puy en Velay is a very nice & historic man-made village. I don't think the area around le Puy en Velay is as scenic as either the Puy du Dome region or the Tarn Gorge.

Stu Dudley
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi Stu,
Thanks for your reply.
I think I would like to go with your first choice and drive to the the Tarn Gorge area and spend the night there. Following your detailed itinerary from Sarlat, what is the estimated driving time with stops?
The next day we could explore the area in the morning and then head to Geneva in the afternoon.
Do you think this would be feasable?
Route suggestions from Tarn Gorge to Geneva?
Hotel in Tarn Gorge?
Thanks.
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:37 PM

Consult viamichelin.com for driving times. We visited the gorge from the Espalion area on the Lot River - not from Sarlat - so I couldn't even guess on the time. We drove every road on my itinerary (except for one very short stretch), but not all at once like you are doing. Of course, if you stop in Figeac, Conques, Entraygues, Estaing, Espalion, la Canourgue, etc it will take you a long time. Conques is the real gem on this route, and we like Figeac quite a bit also - but a visit to Figeac will consume a lot of time. Unless you get an early start, make your first stop in Conques, and then gage if you have enough time to stop at other places before the Tarn. If your first stop is in Figeac & you're behind schedule - you will have a lot of miles in front of you & might not be able to make up any time lost. (I assume you have my 35 page Languedoc itinerary)

Many moons ago we stayed at Auberge du Moulin in Ste Enimie - which is a very reasonably priced place on the main road in town. It has a restaurant. Check for current prices & telephone number on viamichelin.

Ira stayed in the town of St Chely du Tarn - and like the hotel & village. Check his trip report for details.

Stu Dudley