La Rochelle's Hotel France Angleterre et Champlain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to spend 3 nights in La Rochelle this spring, and I had read good reviews of this hotel here. But I just found this description in a London newspaper: "All character has been leeched from a building that is, by the way, on the wrong side of town." I'd love to hear from those who've stayed at the hotel - I'm especially curious why it would be described as "the wrong side of town." Thanks for the help.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 02:30 PM

I've never stayed at that hotel in La Rochelle, but for me "the wrong side of town" would mean away from the port. I've never seenany evidence that La Rochelle, which is a wonderful place, has a seedy part of town, if that's what's implied, but I suppose it could and I wouldn't ever have found it.

There are lots of nice hotels in La Rochelle, most of them near the port and the main arcaded shopping area. There are nice hotels in nearby beach towns, too, that have easy access to the city.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 05:18 PM

I'm pretty sure that this is the hotel we stayed at in La Rochelle about four years ago. As I remember, the location was about a 15 minute walk from the port. We weren't bothered by it, but I probably would choose to stay at something closer to town if it were available.

As for the hotel itself, our rooms were comfortable but nothing special. However, they did overlook a tiny very well-kept garden.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed a few blocks from the old port and market at a lovely B&B in an old interesting mansion with a charming courtyard for breakfast at 33rue Thiers.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. The B&B is normally open during the summer season and on weekends "upon request" so I've e-mailed to see if it's a possibility in late April.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 05:31 PM

I'd assume that "the wrong side of town" means it's away from the sea. Not "on the wrong side of the tracks."

I was in La Rochelle a couple of years ago and loved it: the arcades, the towers, the museums. It's a great little city.

It did not however have any high star places to stay. It seems to be somewhat of a "red neck Riviera" for France. Not much of a demand for 4 star and 4L places. I found that very appealing.

I stayed at the Hotel Francois 1er in the old town. Nothing special, nothing to recommend.

Here's a link to my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34461207
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 06:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Two restaurants We loved were Richard Coutanceau on th beach and his son's place, more casual, Les Flots> Let me know if Madame answers you. I think she may give cooking lessons now.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:01 PM

Aloha to you too!
And don't miss out on La Rochelle. My wife and I just spent 5 days days in early October in this wonderful city and the surroundings (Ile de Re, Ile d'Oleron and Cognac!). We also considered the France Angleterre but at the recommendation of a friend decided to stay at the Hotel Jean d'Acre (http://www.hotel-la-rochelle.com/ang/flacceuil.htm)
and are really happy that we did.
Ask for a room with a view to the towers and although they are a bit on the small side you will not be disappointed. Directly across the street (pedestrians only) is the restaurant Les Flots mentioned by Cigalechanta. Although I must confess that among Richard Coutanceau's 4 restaurants (http://www.coutanceau.com/restaurants/) we thought this one was overpriced. No comaprison on a price/value scale to his original Michelin 2-star on the beach. Although no longer a "**" we celebrated my wife's birthday there and had one of the best dining experiences ever!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 07:19 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a place to recommend my family stay after they've spent a week with us in Sarlat.

They're looking to go to the atlantic coast. My parents want beach, scenery, restaurants, etc. I think my younger brother would like some access to night life etc.

Is there a place that offers the best of both worlds?

Would you recommend La Rochelle area or Arcachon area?

Thanks very much.