Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

La Minerva in Capri - Which type of room?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 06:07 AM
Heather

I would welcome input from anyone who has stayed at La Minerva on Capri. <BR> <BR>Choosing between the "superior" and "medium" rooms, it appears from the hotel's Internet site that the two types of rooms are divided between older (superior) and newer (medium) sections. From the description and the fact that room price increases only US$15/night for the superior, I can't tell if there is a large difference in the rooms. Are the views better in one section than another? <BR> <BR>Any input is appreciated.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 06:40 AM
patty

I suggest you contact the hotel directly: [email protected]. We had a superior room and it was lovely.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 06:44 AM
Heather

Thank you for the feedback, Patty. I did email the hotel, but now I need to respond with which type of room. I just wasn't sure from the site. It sounds like the superior section is probably the best way to go since the price isn't much more. <BR> <BR>Thanks, again! <BR> <BR>p.s. I think that you posted elsewhere that you visited Capri for 5 or so days. Do you have any restaurant or sightseeing/exploring suggestions?

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 12:46 PM
patty

I have endless suggestions...Definitely hire a small boat with a driver for the day. Absolutely worth it. You will see all the small coves and grottes, speed through the famed Blue Grotto experience (definitely worth it, we were able to swim in it), and swim in the best spots. Second, take the hike down to the Punta Tragara and go to Fontelina for lunch (the grilled scampi are to die for) and to swim during the day. Dinner at Le Grotelle is worth the hike, and try to reserve on the edge. Also reserve an edge table at Villa Brunella - a bit fancier, but nice. Pizzeria Aurora gets good reviews, but we had really poor service. The food was ok, but not worth the headache. We also dined at Da Gemma, a bit touristy but good. The hike to Villa Jovis is beautiful (and a bit long), but worth it. The view from up there is amazing. We didn't spend much time in Anacapri, but Axel Munthe's Villa San Michele is lovely and the ski lift to the top of Mount Solare (sp?) is a great view as well. I also suggest you have drinks in the square, gelato at the one that has homemade cones (you will smell them in the evening), and have sandals made by Atillio (sp? - through the arch by the Tods store in the square. You'll find him up a ways on the left. He's the best.) Hope this helps. Have a wonderful trip.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 02:21 PM
Heather

Patty, thank you, *again*, for feeding me (no pun intended) all of the great restaurant and sightseeing suggestions. It's a long wait until we go, but I'm collecting info and daydreaming a lot! Your input really helps me in planning and budgeting our 5 days in Capri.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 07:07 PM
Gail

We just returned from a month in Italy and stayed 2 nights at the La Minerva on Capri. We were in room 6 (I think. It was a superior room. I thought it was wonderful. We did not want to leave. Luggi is a wonderful host. The hotel has always been in his family. They will bring breakfest to room to eat on the balcony.