Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

La Merce in Barcelona - tips on what to see/do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Barcelona starting 25 Sep. I just learned that we'll be stumbling upon the tail end of La Merce! Happy surprise!

I went to the website, but the English portion is minimal. I saw the program in Spanish and have deciphered a few things. I think we may be able to see a Pirotec at Platja de Barceloneta, the Correfoc, Piromusical, and a Casteller.

We may have to jumble our tour plan a bit, to see these things, so I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if we'll be upset if we don't see a major tourist site b/c we're seeing these things? On our first 2 days, we should be able to see the major sites, though not in detail.

So, what these events are like? Are they so massively crowded that we won't get to see much? Any tips for attending? I do see a lot of fire and lights in photos, but really have no idea what to expect.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Can only tell about the absolutely fantastic parades i aw on two nights that wound down to the port area - kind of a mummer's parade - group after group of neighborhood youths - mainly younger folk it seemed - marching festively to the beat of drums and bands - went on for a few hours and once down by the sea a real party - one of my most cherished travel memories.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 09:18 AM

I would put at least some of these on your program....the Castellers are human towers and they are pretty impressive. A big base of locked bodies, and about five levels of people above getting narrower with usually a tiny person on top. Very Catalan.

The Correfocs are literally "fire-runners" and it is a very intense movement of people, carts, burning spirals, booms and lots of asbestos suits in a very closeup display within a meter of you. A little scary and would never be allowed in the US, but quite spectacular.

The Pirotec will be a fireworks display at the Barceloneta beach pier, and should be fun, as you can meander and eat from the stands as you watch.

I would definitely give some of these a go. Best, Rouss
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Cool! This sounds great!
For the Correfoc, I read somewhere that bystanders should wear long-sleeved shirts, glasses and hats for protection. Is it possible to stand a bit farther back from the "assault" to avoid being in the midst of it?
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 04:21 PM

We also will be there, arriving on 26, Saturday. Hoping to see the castellers at the Barcelona cathedral. Perhaps we'll see you there!