Paris & Amsterdam

Search

Paris & Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris & Amsterdam

We are going to Paris for business in late March and plan to travel to Amsterdam as well. While I have been to Paris many times, I have always stayed with native Parisians. We are looking for a hotel in the
7th district that is not too expensive -- where should I start? Or would it be wiser to stay in the 5th or 6th district to be more central? As for Amsterdam, last visit we stayed in the Leidseplein are at a tiny hotel (I think the hotel laterne) and plan to hopefully return there for one or two nights and then stay in another area of the city, but which area? Leidseplein is the only area we have stayed and really loved the atmosphere. We are urbanites, child-free and we love to eat and drink and relish the culture. As always, thanks in advance to all of you!
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:43 AM

The 5th is one of the most central, and perhaps the most filled with good moderately priced hotels. I didn't mind staying in the 7th, but it was a bit too placid for my tastes. The Derby Eiffel in the 7th, around the corner from the Ecole Militaire metro station, was a steal for the price, with (for Paris) sizable rooms and bathrooms. It was close to several decent restaurants, boulangeries and markets, was a short walk from overhyped Rue Cler, and about 10 minutes from the Eiffel Towers.
Given my choice, I'd go for the 5th or 6th though.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:47 AM

And A'dam is so compact, there's really no area in the city that's inconvenient to anything. If you love museums, you might want to stay in the Leidseplein/Museumplein area again. I like to be very close to the old center, so I normally choose a hotel near Dam Square, on Niewezijds Voorburgwal (excuse my spelling) or close to Centraal Station.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:18 PM
ira

Hi m,

What's your budget?

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ira,
Good question... I'd like to keep it under 200US per night. Of course the less the better so we can spend more money on shopping, dining, etc. I am always reading about these fabulously priced wonderful inns and hotels and I would love to stay somewhere like this. Of course I did not take down any names and this trip is quite a sudden surprise for us and I don't have much time to research/plan. THanks in advance!!