Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   La Calcina lovers please advise (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/la-calcina-lovers-please-advise-215786/)

Karen Dec 16th, 2001 09:12 PM

La Calcina lovers please advise

I have been going crazy for five months trying to decide where to stay in Venice. I got down to the Pensione Accademia, the La Calcina, the Antonio Jr. Suite at the Ala, or a partial lagoon view at the Metropole. The La Calcina being the cheapest, then Accademia, next Ala Suite and finally Metropole. I finally decided on the La Calcina and when they e-mailed me back they said their "best" rooms with frontal and side views which are larger and brighter are all booked for next June. They have for me a smaller room with frontal view of canal with two windows. I am so dissapointed because I don't know how much less nice this room is than the others he was talking about. Any help for me or ideas about the other choices I still have left before I send in my money. The La Calcina wants one night paid up front. They are the only one. Help me please so I can sleep. I have never been to Italy before, so I know nothing. Karen

Julie Dec 17th, 2001 02:44 AM

Karen, How are you coming with the rest of your trip? Have you gotten reservations in all of your other planned stops? What did you decide on?

elaine Dec 17th, 2001 04:28 AM

Karen, I haven't stayed at La Calcina so I can't advise you about the room sizes.<BR>But I will give you two pieces of advice that you didn't ask for. First, relax!<BR>There is more than one great place to stay in any city, and Venice is no exception. I have a tendency to obsess about hotels myself, and have to remind myself that there is more than one wonderful option. The hotels you mention all have great reputations with different locations that each has its pluses.<BR>Second, don't wait to long to make a decision to book; you already know that at popular places the choices become more limited, or disappear altogether, long in advance.<BR>Enjoy your trip

RJD Dec 17th, 2001 05:36 AM

Stayed in both types of rooms at the Calcina. No doubt the rooms directly facing on the canal are better, but the rooms with a view are good too. Fairly large, well decorated and comfortable.

Betsy Dec 17th, 2001 06:07 AM

Karen, I think we stayed in October. in one of the rooms that you are being offered. There are four rooms across the front of the hotel on each floor. Two are on either corner of the hotel and have front and side views. The other two face the canal with a front view and have two windows--that is the type we stayed in and that you are apparently being offered. Those rooms are fine and the view is great. We loved the hotel,its shiny bathrooms, its location, their breakfast and their friendly professionalism. We sent a check to cover one night and they deducted it from our total when we checked out. No problem. Book it now!

GAC Dec 17th, 2001 09:43 AM

Betsy: La Calcina has requested a check deposit equal to TWO nights for my requested six-night reservation next May. Was your own reservation for less than six nights?

Jane Dec 17th, 2001 10:34 AM

We stayed at La Calcina last July - we had rooms along the side in the back with sidelong views of the canal. We still loved our rooms - very large, comfortable, breezy and cool. I think the location is also terrific. I know you won't be disappointed. Don't wait too long. <BR><BR>If you stay there, ask the people at the desk to recommend restaurants. They gave us a great tip. I can't remember the name of the place they sent us, but it was just a five minute walk down the canal. Tables outside along the canal with a canopy. This was the best food we had in Venice. Especially the calamari.

Betsy Dec 17th, 2001 06:29 PM

GAC, our reservation was for three nights. Stop stressing and send your check quickly before they give your reservation away to another lucky traveller. The people at La Calcina are probably very honest. Don't recall that I've ever seen a complaint about it on this forum. You won't be sorry.

Karen Dec 19th, 2001 09:35 PM

I have one more question about the La Calcina? Is the large canal it faces as nice or better than the grand canal? I heard ships come in this canal. Is that distracting? Ok. I lied, one more question, have any of you stayed at both the Accademia and the La Calcina and liked one better than the other? No more questions, I promise. You have all been such a big help to me . Thank you very much Karen

Jane Dec 20th, 2001 02:01 PM

La Calcina faces out on the Giudecca Canal which is much larger (wider?) than the Grand Canal. Yes, there were big ships coming in and out, but not that frequently and I didn't find it distracting or noisy.<BR><BR>I wondered the same thing when we made our reservations at La Calcina - will we miss not being on THE Grand Canal. I'll tell you truthfully, I was glad to be on the Giudecca. It is much more tranquil on the Giudecca Canal and you are in a nice area that looks like real people live there. There is a nice small canal along the other side of the hotel (the taxi brought us up on that side to unload). You won't see the traffic jams that you see on the Grand Canal. Frankly, I was very happy every evening to get away from the Grand Canal and the Piazza San Marco.<BR><BR>I've never stayed at the Accademia, but I really don't think you will be disappointed with the atmosphere around La Calcina. Tarry no longer make your reservation.

Paule Nov 13th, 2002 06:45 PM

topping

Joyce Nov 14th, 2002 04:51 AM

I stayed at the Calcina, and being on the Giudecca Canal was the nicest part of this hotel. I found it very entertaining to sit on the hotel's deck and watch the various types of boats go by. You can see every type of boat imaginable from this location: everything from small rowboats and gondolas to huge ocean liners, ferries and tankers. It was fascinating.<BR><BR>The same type of traffic is also on the Grand Canal. It does not matter which one you are looking at.

zack Nov 14th, 2002 06:59 AM

You might also try the Hotel Galleria. We just got back. It was not fancy, but quaint, warm, fabulous service, great people, location and the breakfast was fantastic. Ask for a larger room. I emailed karen Brown and told her she should have this one in her B&amp;B guide for Italy. Good luck. You will love Venice.

Pam Nov 14th, 2002 07:23 AM

We stayed 6 nights in a room with side and front views at La Calcina last month. While I don't know what the front rooms w/o side view are like I don't think it should make much difference. The windows are relatively small and the truth is you won't spend that much time in your room. Their deck should (hopefully) be finished by next June and you will be surrounded by view while sitting out there. We booked 8 months in advance and did have to send a check for two nights stay. The location is great, the pensione clean and Venice..Venice..Venice!Even with a front only view the Calcina is a great bargain. The thing to remember about the Accademia is when you have a frontal view it is of the Grand Canal which can be pretty noisy. Lastly, don't worry or try to worry less. This was our first trip to Italy and we returned changed beings (much the better). The best laid plans are only that. So much of what is wonderful in Italy is outside any hotel.