Reload this Page >

La Calcina: Hotel v. Suites

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:39 AM
geith

Any recommendations on choosing rooms in the hotel or the suites?

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:05 PM
geith

anyone? where are all the La Calcina fans?

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:57 PM
Betsy

Didn't know they had suites, Geith. We were happy with our room--front corner. Had views in two directions.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:49 PM
topping

Ooops missed one for Geith...

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:08 AM
Toni

Are we talking Venice? If so, which corner room with views in both directions, (meaning possibly viewing two canals?) What season? What price? Please let me know. Thanks.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 08:05 AM
topper

Please top!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:42 PM
Betsy

Yes, La Calcina is in Venice, in the Dorsoduro area. If I remember correctly, there are two front corner rooms on each floor. You can see the wide Giudecca canal in two directions. We had a double room for the equivalent of about145 USD in late October 2001. Sumptuous breakfast buffet was included. AC but no elevator. Would stay there again in a heartbeat; in fact wish I were there right now.<BR>Report in if you stay there.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 06:55 AM
xxx

TTT for Toni

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Pam

We stayed in the corner room with the terrace at La Calcina last October. I think it is a great room. I think it's approximately $176 euros/noc. We thought it was worth it and enjoyed spending some evenings on the terrace drinking wine, eating various take out including pizza. A word of caution..we booked eight months in advance and two weeks before our arrival large scale production had begun so a crane was smack dab in front of our room and we awoke each am around 7:30 to the sound of drilling etc. Hopefully this will be completed before your arrival but I'd make sure. It's a great neighborhood to be in and a sweet pensione. Ah...Venice...

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 12:42 PM
susan

Ah my favorite hotel!! As another poster mentioned, I didn't know they had suites ;-)<BR><BR>I have stayed there twice. The first time solo in a small room with private bath that looked out over a tiny side canal and into another apartment building. Actually it was quite atmospheric. Second time with a traveling companion we got one of the front corner rooms others have mentioned facing out over the Guidecca canal. Big, airy, nice furniture and fixtures, great view. I'd go for that again in a heartbeat.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 02:48 PM
net

We stayed in this hotel a few years ago and it's still one of my favorite places I've stayed abroad (and stateside for that matter). I stayed in a room overlooking a small canal and another building. It was small, simple, clean and very smart looking to me with dark furniture. Absolutely loved the feel of it. The front rooms sound very nice too. Bath/shower was quite small as well but it was private. Loved the deck overlooking the large canal to the south of the islands; loved the breakfast; hosts were quite friendly and helpful; loved the local. I would definitely look into the &quot;crane&quot; issue and make sure that will be gone! Ah, Venezia! Enjoy!

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 02:50 PM
net

Susan,<BR>We seem to have the same taste in hotels. Have you been to southern Italy (Rome, Amalfi, Naples, etc...) and if so what are some of your favorite hotels in those parts? Thanks!