La Calcina Apartments in Venice

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 12:13 PM
JaneRebecca

La Calcina Apartments in Venice

Hi all; Has anyone stayed in the La Calcina Apartments in Venice and what was your experience? They are 150 meters from the hotel and look very nice in the photos. Is that too far off the beaten path for first time visitors to Venice? I know the hotel is lovely but they are booked for our dates in October; they are recommending their apartments.

Or, are there other hotels comparable to La Calcina?

Best, Jane

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Jane,

Are the apartments also on the water? We loved the location of La Calcina---spent 5 nights there and enjoyed the neighborhood, the views, and the short walk to the Accademia bridge. So if the apartments are only 150 meters away, all that should be similar.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 12:32 PM
JaneRebecca

Hi Enzian;

No, they are not on the water. I gather that they are in the neighborhood behind the hotel. 150 meters from the hotel.

Jane

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 09:18 PM

We stayed in the Iris apartment in May 2005 for 6 nights. It was very pleasant, very close to the hotel, plenty of space for the two of us. We love the Dorsodora area - this made us feel like we were part of the neighborhood!
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 09:37 PM
JaneRebecca

MarciaS: Thank you so much for your response. Was there daily maid service and breakfast at the hotel included? Quiet and safe neighborhood? We have never been to Venice and were wondering if we would feel out of it not being in a hotel. What do you think?
Jane

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 05:25 AM

We stayed at La Calcina Iris Suite in early April and loved it. Yes, breakfast is included as well as maid service. Unfortunately it was too cool to have breakfast on the deck overlooking Guidecca. The Iris is just around the corner in a quiet little area. There is a bubbling fountain just outside. Everything looked recently redecorated within the room which had a little sitting area and it had a large and comfortable bed. Great location--we will stay there again.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 06:19 AM

We stayed at Calcina hotel last summer and loved the location! Great neighborhoods to walk around, close to Accademia bridge and good restaurants, and not too far from St. Marks. Also, water taxi stop close by. Enjoy!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 07:14 AM
MaureenB

We didn't stay at La Calcina, but ate at their lovely waterside cafe. and also walked into the lovely hotel and spoke with the clerk to collect a brochure. Judging from the very good impression we had of the hotel itself, and its cafe, I would definitely stay at their apartments. It is a classy place, at an unbelievable price IMHO.

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:20 AM
JaneRebecca

Thank you all for your great responses. I will definitely be staying at the apartments in October!

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 12:16 PM
JaneRebecca

I am just back from Italy and Hotel La Calcina and wanted to give an update:

We were very happy with our choice. Having never been to Venice before I can't really compare as far as areas go and service. But the people that run the hotel are excellent providers of hospitality. We very much liked our apartment which was very close to the hotel; although we had to walk through acqua alta a few times to get there! We had two days of major acqua alta. Anyway, it was all over Venice and the islands in the Lagoon not just in Dursodouro.

If that's where you want to stay there is no problem sending them a deposit. The hotel is well organized, honest, and we had no problems at all. They offered us an 8% discount on meals and the balance of our payment if we paid in cash, which we did.

I found the front desk staff very helpful, kind, and informative. The apartment was immaculate, well-stocked with kitchen equipment and anything we could possibly want. Not that one is there very much because who wants to be cooped up in an apartment when there is so much to experience in Venice. You do feel like you "live" in Venice by staying in the apartment because it is in a real neighborhood.

I highly recommend this hotel and their apartments and would go back without hesitation.

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 02:23 PM
MaureenB

JaneRebecca, thanks for posting your review. It sounds wonderful. We had breakfast on Mother's Day this May, and sat at one of their pretty waterside tables. It seemed like a very nice hotel. Glad you liked it.
>-