Reload this Page >

La Bella Dona, Are you there?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 04:47 AM
nancy

Dear Dona, <BR>We know you are back from your posting last Saturday ,(ie: restuarant in Gaeta) <BR>Each day ,I have been eagerly checking in to see if you have had time to post your trip. <BR>Are you there? <BR>I would love to here about your trip up the coast, what you saw, ate and did. <BR>Eagerly awaiting; <BR>nancy

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 06:05 AM
Dona

Nancy, <BR> <BR>Talk about telepathy! I was writing my posting as you were writing yours... <BR> <BR>Let me know if you have any questions or just want to chat about my findings... <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 06:49 AM
nancy

Dona, <BR>Both! <BR>But I guess I would immediately like to know about your thoughts on <BR>Punta Rossa; <BR> is it too far from the town, my husband would like to be somewhere where he can stroll around . <BR> Also, are they friendly there? the staff, i mean. <BR>Villa Irlanda <BR>An italian travel agency told me the beach is not too great for families <BR>And the hotel is very big for business people. <BR> <BR>I am helping my children do a massive clean-up on their rooms this am ,so will be back and forth. <BR>So glad you are back, cause I really would like to also "chat" about your visit. <BR>It will be very exciting to hear your impressions on this area! <BR>As Paulo said ,prior to this ,on a message I posted to you last Sat/Sun, <BR>you are kind of the test case for this area . <BR>Hope you had the most wonderful trip ever! <BR>nancy <BR>and Villa Irlanda

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 12:31 PM
Dona

Nancy, <BR> <BR>You really can't stroll around at Punta Rossa. It's way out on a private dead end road. The staff was very friendly - and speak English. But if you're looking for a family place where you can stroll around, I'm not sure this would be my choice. I didn't see the Circeo Park Hotel but it's also on the sea, with a pool, garden, beach and tennis, and a restaurant. You may want to check this out... <BR> <BR>Regarding the Villa Irlanda. I didn't see any business people there - but it was really off season - there were hardly any people there at all. I wouldn't say they have a beach - at least I didn't see it. The hotel is across the street from the sea. They do have a very large pool... <BR> <BR>As I mentioned in another posting, the Villa Maria Teresa in Formia seemed to be right on the water and looked lovely - at least from the road... Formia is right next to Gaeta - and has a nice little town of its own... <BR> <BR>I would say that it's great to be back - but it's not - I miss my mozzarella di buffala. <BR> <BR>Dona

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 12:46 PM
nancy

Dona, <BR>I wish I could send you some! <BR>Thanks for the info on Punta Rossa. <BR>The main reason we wanted to stay there is the cottages they have,(3 br., and lr/dr area) <BR>After being away from home for a week in a strange country, the idea of putting my 13yr old son, and my 10 yr old daughter in the same room, makes me shudder! <BR>When they are tired and cranky, they need more space than a double room will afford them. <BR>So, that is a dilema for us. <BR>I think that we will defifitely rule out Villa Irlanda, <BR>But it was appealing to my husband because he is very into old buildings, works on historic places such as Mount Vernon, Colonial Williamsburg, etc. <BR>Of course, these are baby buildings compared to what is in italy. <BR>That is why V.I. was so appealing. <BR>All those old buildings on one site. <BR> <BR>What was your opinion of Sperlonga as a place to stay? <BR>Bob/Navigator really likes it. <BR> <BR>I will look into the Villa Maria Teresa. <BR>There is also another hotel in Formia, that I found on a site, <BR>Grand Albergo Miramare. <BR> <BR>It seems from your posts that you get away ti Italy once a yr. <BR>Do you always go in October? <BR>Where else have you been (I did read your posting from the Oct. 99 trip) <BR>Do you have family /ancestors from italy? <BR> <BR>Well, <BR>Now it is time to go to your other posting and reread it in leisure. <BR>I **really** appreciate your time in responding. <BR>nancy <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 10:37 PM
t

t

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 08:15 AM
Dona

Nancy, <BR> <BR>If the spaceis more important than "strolling around", I would definitely give Punta Rossa a try. The hotel is large enough that you could stroll around that and it's interesting in that it is built into the side of the mountain, with a series of twisting hallways rather than a traditional hotel structure. <BR> <BR>I must say that I didn't think of Villa Irlanda as being a series of old buildings since they have been so refurbished. You had asked about rooms over the sea with balconies and they apparently do have them in the main house. I was looking for 2 beds, however, and those rooms were in the back building. <BR> <BR>You asked about Sperlonga - I only stopped there for lunch. It struck me as a real beach community, with houses close together and narrow streets. Since I was so off season, it's difficult to tell what it's really like - but I would certainly consider Bob the Navigator's critique... <BR> <BR>You asked about my trips. I took my first trip to Italy in '92 and fell in love with it. I have been every uear since, twice if I can swing it. All grandparents were born in Italy and I was exposed to the language when I was little - but I started taking Italian in '93 and have been studying ever since (I use the term "study" loosely - actually, I take weekly lessons but only practice with every Italian waiter in New York City!) <BR> <BR>I go all over and have been to the major cities many times. Iusually go in the fall, but have also been to Florence in April, and to Venice for New Year's and Carnivale. <BR> <BR>I'd like to spend some serious time there in years to come... <BR> <BR>Let me know how your trip planning is going and if I can be of further assistance. <BR> <BR>Dona

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 09:54 AM
nancy

Thanks Dona for your answers. <BR>I figure I will keep the two threads separate, less confusing for me. <BR>Who knows how long till the self-appointed fodor police step in though and tell me that I shopuld not "chat" here. <BR> <BR>The mainreason my husbandwanted to be closer to town than Punta Rossa is he had this vision of leisurely walking around the streets. <BR>But after recognizing any leisurely walking would come after being out with the children and doing daytrips, he realized that he would not be doing that as much as he dreamed of, and the children having space to de-compress would go alot farther toward making our trip a good one. <BR>Those leisurely strolls will come when he and I return to italywithout the children. <BR> <BR>Luck you to have been to italy so many times! <BR>Do you still have any family over in italy/ <BR>have you been to the areas that they were from? <BR>My family came from Switzerland and Holland a few hundred yrs ago, so no one remembers exactly where they originated from. <BR>And the German sides came over mid-1800's and if there was any distant family left, WW2 would have taken care of that, so I have no desire to go visit there. <BR>I envy people who can go back to where their families originally came from! <BR> <BR>Also, luck you to be taking classes. <BR>I have been studying on my own, and did finally locate a school about an hour from me. <BR>Hopefully I will be able to start classes this spring semester. <BR>It must be fun to practice with others. <BR>When I speak italian at home, my children groan. <BR>I bet you are a real hit with the waiters, with your appreciation of food, that glow, and speaking their language! <BR>Thanks for the offer to help, I will keep you posted. <BR>As far as the trip, we have our tickets, passports, apartment for Rome, and tons of excitement. <BR>I have books I pour over, and many pieces of paper I am condensing with all bits of info that I have pulled off this site. <BR>This is a great site! <BR>A piu tarde. <BR>nancy <BR>