Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

L'Isle sur la Sorgue Sunday Market-- Please help me decide the best option to check it out and Drive-times

Search

L'Isle sur la Sorgue Sunday Market-- Please help me decide the best option to check it out and Drive-times

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Provence at the end of September. We are doing a Backroads bike trip. We are flying into Nice midday on a Friday and will meet up with Backroads at the Avignon TGV station on Sunday. A year ago during the early planning stages, an old friend of my husband had invited us to stay with them at their family home in Nice when we arrive. Unfortunately, he hasn't replied to any recent emails so I'm now thinking that is no longer an option for us.

I would really like to check out the Sunday market in L'Isle sur la Sorgue. As I see it, we have two options to do it and I'd like your advice on which is better. I hope this isn't too confusing...

1) Rent a car in Nice and drive to the area on Saturday, spend the night somewhere and hit the market Sunday morning. Then drive to the Avignon train station and drop the car off there. We have to be at the train station by 1:30p.

- From what I can tell, it is about 13 miles from L'Isle sur la Sorgue to Avignon. About how long is the drive?
- What time does the market get going in the morning?
- Is a half day enough time to spend there?
- Any recommendations on where to stay?

2) Our last night on the bike trip will be spent in Gordes the next Saturday. We fly out of Nice at 7pm on Sunday. The Backroads people will get us to the Avignon TGV station midday in time for a train to Paris since many folks head that way afterwards. We would then take the next train to Nice. Instead, we could rent a car and drive to the market in the early morning and then from the market to Nice for our evening flight.

- How long do you think it would take to get from the market to Nice? I see it is about 150 miles along the major highways. Is this fast or slow going?
- Also, as far as I can tell, the closest town to Gordes to rent a car is Cavaillon which is about 10 miles away. Is it possible to get a cab to take us or are these towns just too small for that kind of service? (I think this issue is enough to make option 1 more feasible)

Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:15 AM

Viamichelin.com estimates the drive time between Nice and Avignon at 2 hours, 40 minutes. Most of it is on the autoroute, which is like driving the interstate at home. You can obviously take more scenic smaller roads and spend more time if you wish, but if you just want to get between the two points, three hours or so should be enough time.

The drive between Avignon and Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is on a simple two-lane road, going at best 40 miles an hour, probably a little slower. Still, it's a short, easy drive.

The market begins around 9:00 and ends around 1:00, so half a day is fine. The later you arrive, the more difficult parking is, while early birds find parking a snap. The town is also worth a wander on its own, so I recommend getting there just as early as you can manage.

As to getting a cab, I believe there are cabs in Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, which is quite close to Gordes, which could be summoned to Gordes to fetch you. I stayed in Joucas, which was 3km from Gordes farther from Isle, and another guest there arrived by taxi from Isle, so clearly it is possible. But I do not think Gordes has any taxi service of its own. You would want to locate and arrange for taxi service in Isle or have your hotel do this for you.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:29 AM

I would highly recommend for you to spend Saturday evening at Les Trois Figuiers, a B&B of the highest quality, only 10 minutes from L'Isle sur la Sorgue. http://www.lestroisfiguiers.fr/

We have stayed here 3 times, for several days each time and it is wonderful. The rooms are very comfortable, and the grounds are so relaxing. They have a large yard with 2 swimming pools, and views of the mountains. Dinner is served around a large table, with all the guests joining in. You need to tell them ahead of time that you'll want dinner. Usually all the guests will be dining here. The table is set beautifully, many times outdoors, and you start with wine and appitizers, then dinner which is another 4 courses. Unlimited wine is included in the 27€ rate.

The Sunday market is alot of fun. Enjoy!
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 01:32 PM

I would go with your first idea and drive to l'Isle sur la Sorgue when you arrive.
It will probably take you about three hours.

The food market starts early, as you've already been told,the antique market goes all day, and you should have no problem getting to the Avignon TGV station on time if you leave l'Isle around 12:15 or 12:30 (the TGV station is on the south side of Avignon - so follow signs for Nimes and then "Courtine" - the area where the station is located - on your way into Avignon to avoid going into town)

Patricia
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

thank you for the help. i've also decided that option 1 makes more sense.

i'll look into your hotel recommendations around l'isle sur la sorgue. are there any hotels right in town or are most of the nice ones outside of it? if we get there early on sunday, is it obvious where to park?

looking forward to the trip!