Kusadasi to Istanbul

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 11:29 AM
Stan Lepelstat

Kusadasi to Istanbul

We will be entering Turkey at Marmaris from Rhodes and will pick up a car.Our first stop will be Kusadasi to see Ephesus.We wish to make another stop on the way to Instanbul for a few days.Could anyone recommend a place with good hotels and interesting sights as we go North.

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 02:05 AM
Jo

Cannukale??? Near the (very ruined) ancient city of Troy and also Gallipolli - a World War I battleground complete with trenches, museums and memorials.

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 10:50 AM
bo_jack

So you will have some perspectives on driving time -- if you do not already have them -- Kusadasi is a relatively easy, but full, two days drive from Istambul -- assuming you do not get very lost -- carry a good map and be aware that secondary roads can be VERY secondary. The Agean route probably has more to offer -- Bergaman (Pergaman ruins near by) and Assos (off the main road, but interesting). I would probably take the Agean route if I were only doing it once. However, Bursa, less than 4 hours from Istambul, is historically interesting and well worth a visit. It is relatively near the Earthquake epicenter; but I am told by a friend with relatives in Turkey that it was not damaged.

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 12:18 AM
George Holt

I second both the above recommendations.

Regarding Bursa, it is a beautiful city worth a visit, first capital of the Ottomans. While Bursa itself may not be in the earthquake zone if you take that route you may find yourself having to head for Istanbul via the ferry from or road through Yalova, which decidedly is. The whole Marmara area might be a bit of a mess but you might find it less hassle to cross at Cannakkale and drive along the north coast of the Marmara.

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 08:35 AM
Paulo

Last year in July we slept in Bergama, Canakkale and Bursa. If we were to do it again, we would still visit the Pergamon ruins (very interesting) but would try to spend the night in Ayvalik instead of Bergama, which appeared almost as a windy goast town.

We visited Ephesus on route from Kusadasi to Bergama, arriving in the evening. After visiting the two sites of Pergamon the next day, we drove to Canakkale, skipping Assos and Troy. Before driving to Bursa we visited Gallipoli (unless one's very into Homer, everybody advised to skip Troy copletely). If you plan to get to Bergama early enough to visit the sites and then follow to Ayvalik for the night, you'll have time the next day to visit Assos. IMO, Bursa is a must.

In Canakkale we stayed at the the 4-star Akol Hotel (US$80 for a double, with breakfast and buffet dinner). In Bursa we stayed at the 3-star Kent Hotel Bursa (very well located, A/C, US$ 70 for a double with breakfast). In Bergama we stayed at the 3-star Asude (nothing to rave about ... clean, basic, no A/C, US$ 60 with breakfast and buffet dinner: hadn't we prepaid we surely could have dealt for under US$ 50. Haven't visited but I was told that there are a few very nice resort hotels in the Ayvalik area.

Paulo

Old Sep 25th, 1999, 05:30 PM
Brad

Stan,
My only recommendation is based on living in Turkey for over two years and driving all over the country. BE CAREFUL!!! Turks are not very good drivers and some of the roads are very old and not well kept. Plan on getting lost and buy a good map. Also strongly suggest you stop driving at dark. Turkey is a great county and the people are some of the friendliest I have ever lived with. Have a good time.

Brad

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 09:20 AM
Elaine

I just returned from Turkey. While in Izmir (we took the ferry from Istanbul to Izmir overnight) we talked with a young turkish woman who recommended staying in Candarli (on the way north to Bergama). It is on the coast of Turkey about 1/2 hour south of Bergama. They have an old castle there with lots of pensions on the beach. There are actually 2 beach areas as the town is kind of on a penninsula. A nice beach area, few tourists, good restaurants - - it had it all!