Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Kriens, Switzerland vs. Lucerne for Day Trips, how convenient? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/kriens-switzerland-vs-lucerne-for-day-trips-how-convenient-96172/)

Susan Dec 10th, 2000 06:25 PM

Kriens, Switzerland vs. Lucerne for Day Trips, how convenient?

We might be staying in Kriens instead of right in Lucerne. I understand that it's about a 15-minute bus ride into Lucerne. Has anyone done this? I would like to know, realistically, how much time would actually be added to day trips by staying in Kriens. How early/late in the day would the bus run between Kriens & Lucerne? Also, is a Europass good for day trips (obviously round-trip)?

Christine Dec 10th, 2000 11:50 PM

The additional time you travel will entirely depend on your destination and time of day. For instance a one-way trip between Engelberg and Kriens will add from 44 minutes to 1 hour 19 minutes. And a one-way trip to Interlaken will be an additional 13 to 20 minutes. <BR> <BR>Look at http://www.sbb.ch/pv/index_e.htm You can go to and enter the destination of the places you are most interested in going to, to decide if Kriens is worth the additional traveling time for you. <BR> <BR>Having said that I can tell you that Kriens is not that much of an inspiring place, very much a "working class" (as far as working class goes in high standard of living Switzerland goes) town and not near the Lake. Your evening options may be limited. There are other towns nearby that may interest you that are right on the rail lines. Hergiswil is on the Lake and has direct trains towards Engelberg, Lucerne and Interlaken. Less then 15 minutes into Lucerne www.hergiswil.ch <BR>

Ed Dec 11th, 2000 05:30 AM

Sorry, but I can't imagine someone wanting to stay in Kriens (or Hergiswil)or anything else nearby rather than Luzern, unless it's summer, you have a car, and want to stay on the lake. <BR> <BR>Otherwise, for goodness sake, stay in the city. It's such a lovely little city. Interesting to walk about. Nice restaurants. Several sights. <BR> <BR>And why lose time on day trips or other by adding an extra 'wait for the next bus, tram or train' every time you go in one direction or another? <BR> <BR>Not knowing your complete schedule, plans or situation I may be off base for your particular visit ... but, please, consider staying IN Luzern. <BR> <BR>Ed

Susan Dec 11th, 2000 08:33 AM

I appreciate the input! The only reason we were looking at Kriens instead of right in Lucerne was that there is a time share we might be able to exchange into, so it would be FREE. I was afraid that the situation would be as you state. Can you recommend any reasonable hotels in Lucerne with private bath? Thanks.

Ed Dec 11th, 2000 08:55 AM

Quite hard to pass up a freebie. In defense of Kriens the tram goes directly to the main station which is just 3-4 minutes from the heart of town, adjacent to the steamer landing, and of course the head-of-line for many other buses and trams. <BR> <BR>Our recommendation for a low-priced stay in Luzern would be: <BR>The Villa Maria is a two-star 'garni' (no dining room), and the Goldener Stern a full (**). Both include a breakfast. A double with bath/shower runs CHF130-150 depending on room and date; both have rooms (typically about half) without bath for less. We've stayed at none. The GS is only 8 blocks from the railway station -- quiet location near the Franziskaner church garden. (The bell can be noisy; you may want to ask for a room on the street.) The Villa Maria is near the Transportation Museum, conveniently about 2 km by Bus #2 from the station; described as Swiss-clean, with English-speaking owners, and quite nice by a recent visitor. <BR>Villa Maria PH: 041 370 21 19 Fax 041 370 21 19 (same) <BR>Goldener Stern: PH: 041 227 50 601 Fax 227 50 61 <BR> <BR> <BR>Ed <BR>

Susan Dec 11th, 2000 04:20 PM

Ed, thanks for the suggestions!

Joe Dec 13th, 2000 05:41 PM

Confusing post. The time share is free? I thought those things not only cost a fortune to buy, but you still have to pay an annual fee. I bet if you hadn't made the initial investment and didn't pay an annual (or weekly) fee for using one, you'd be able to stay in the best hotel in Lucerne! When will people realize that their travel dollars would go so much further without tieing up so much of their money in a time share and then being at the mercy of what is available for trade in some stupid out of the way place like Kriens when you'd really want to stay in Lucerne?