Hostelbookers.com

Search

Hostelbookers.com

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hostelbookers.com

Has anyone used Hostelbookers.com? I'm planning a trip to Italy with my sisters and want to make sure this is a legit company.
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 06:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've never heard of them (which doesn't mean anything one way or the other) - but I guess I don't understand the concept. Most hostels are about as cheap as possible so why not just contact them directly?
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

There is no fee to use the service. They show ratings and reviews. Do you know of another site that lists available hostels? This is our first time to not stay in regular hotels. We want a more local/rustic experience. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 06:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.hihostels.com/
http://www.yha.org.uk/yha-overseas/h...nal/index.aspx

Me - I'd use the actual hostel organizations instead of a company that pays google to come at the top of searches.
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the links. I'll look into them.
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 08:27 PM

I've used a couple of the hostel booking websites; I used Hostelbookers.com in 2009 while in Croatia. Yes, they are legit. So are Hostels.com and Hostelworld.com. They are all pretty much the same except for the service fees in one case or another.

Hostelbookers doesn't charge YOU a "service charge" - but they charge the property owner a 10% commission of the total price in the form of a non-refundable "deposit." So if your room is 100 Euro/night, they charge your credit card 10 Euros up front, non-refundable. You pay the remaining 90 Euros (often in cash) when you arrive at the property. This 10% is pretty standard among the hostel booking sites, but a few of them charge you an additional service charge.

I found that some of the properties actually prefer you use the booking service. The booking service guarantees the booking, so they don't have to risk the booking in case you don't show up - and they don't have to deal with charging credit cards, etc. (as many of them deal in cash)

When I find a hostel or lodging I like, I tend to look it up on two or three of the hostel sites since many properties use multiple services. Sometimes I'll find an opening on one site that isn't on another - and of course I prefer the one with the cheapest rate or service charge. FYI, some hostels actually use sites like Booking.com which may offer a fully refundable cancellation policy (vs. that non-refundable 10%.)

Wherever you book, read the cancellation policy carefully. It usually involves contacting the hostel directly - in fact, once you make the booking, the booking website is pretty much done with you other than guaranteeing the reservation. Sometimes whom you contact depends how soon before arrival you'd change or cancel your booking.

Always confirm your arrival directly with the property, too - unlike a hotel, they will not always be on site so you should arrange for them to be able to meet you when you arrive. Even when you confirm, it's handy to have a cell phone and the number of each property on you in case your arrival changes at the last minute or you get lost.

FYI, for Italy also consider the site www.cross-pollinate.com for hostels and B&Bs. I used them a few times.
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the info Andrew. I'm going to forward the "the sisters"!