Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Krakow - B&B (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/krakow-b-and-b-794950/)

Skip01 Jul 11th, 2009 03:13 AM

Krakow - B&B

My wife and I will be visiting Poland and staying in Prague in September. Looking for recommendations on B&B's?

annhig Jul 11th, 2009 04:41 AM

hi, skip,

when we visited in april, we stayed at www.cracowdays.com apartments, which come up as no 1 or 2 on TA. however, although the accommodation itself is very high standard, the area is not great, and it is quite a hike from the main town and sights where you want to be.

so i would advise staying somewhere in the old town proper.

it's a lovely and interesting place.

regards, ann

iris1745 Jul 11th, 2009 05:05 AM

Hi skip; Good downloads for both Krakow and Prague, both great cities. Click on the city and then 'instant' for your download. Dick www.inyourpocket.com/

jrjcolllins Jul 11th, 2009 06:13 AM

Hi, Skip. We were in Krakow last month and stayed at the Old Town Studios Bed and Breakfast. They were actually apartments. We paid 63 Euros a night which included a good breakfast from a menu at a restaurant on the old town square. Our apartment was located one long block from the town square. The only thing we didn't like was the procedure for picking up the keys. They sent us an email a week before we left on our trip that the key location had changed. We assumed it would be near the apartment, so when we arrived in Krakow from the train station, we had the taxi drop us off at the key location and leave. Then we found out that the apartment was actually about a mile away so we had to drag our suitcases that distance. But once we got there, we liked it. The location was perfect.

Janet

Skip01 Aug 3rd, 2009 05:55 AM

Thank you for the couple of responses we got here. Neither of these feels like it fits our needs. Wondering if anyone might have other suggestions that they have stayed at in Krakow? Thanks.

Skip

frenchwow Aug 3rd, 2009 06:10 AM

not a b and b but the Raddison SAS was wonderful.Very modern. suoer location. would stay there again.great breakfast too.

frenchwow Aug 3rd, 2009 06:12 AM

been to Praugue twice. would nt recomend the K and K. would highly recommed the Savoy on the hill
see my trip log on Prague

Kwoo Aug 16th, 2009 03:54 PM

Hi Skip01,
We were in Krakow in 2003 and stayed at the Saski Hotel, in Old Town and one block (or maybe 1/2 block) from the Main Square (Rynek Glowny). We loved staying there and I would stay there again if we visit Krakow again. The location is excellent, the staff were pleasant and efficient, and we loved the hot and cold breakfast buffet - eggs cooked to order, bacon and sausages, and selections of cold meat, cheeses, cereals, yogurt, etc.

Hope this helps.

Amy Aug 16th, 2009 03:57 PM

I really liked the Guesthouse Trecius, right off of Rynek Glowny. I think it's the cleanest place I've ever stayed in, and the history is fascinating. Here's my trip report, including a link to the Trecius and another one to pix: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-july-2006.cfm

bwhizz Aug 19th, 2009 07:08 AM

Hi Skip,

My fiancee and I are doing the same thing. We are either going to fly into Krakow for one night and go to Prague after, or we are going to fly into Prague and take a 1 night trip to Krakow. How are you travelling from Prague-Krakow? When in September are you going? We will be in Prague or Krakow Sept 22

Skip01 Aug 19th, 2009 09:12 AM

We are leaving New York on Tuesday night, September 22 and flying into Prague for Wednesday morning. Will be in Prague for several days; and now plan to take the sleeper train from Prague to Krakow on Friday night, Sept. 25. Then will be taking the sleeper train from Krakow to Budapest on Tuesday night Sept. 29

bwhizz Aug 20th, 2009 07:55 AM

Ha, might see you there.

We are going to be in Prague Sept 22 and will be flying back to Toronto on the 27th in the AM. So between Sept 22 and 27th we want to spend 2 days, I night in Krakow to see Krakow/Auschwitz. What sleeper train are you taking? Have you booked it? How much does it cost?

Skip01 Aug 21st, 2009 01:43 PM

I'm told the best/cheapest way to purchase is at the train station; although I"m a little anal and preferred to get everything set ahead of time (wanted to make sure I could get what I wanted). There is night train that leaves Prague at 9:09 P.M and arrives in Krakow about 6:33 A.M. I have second class ticket and a sleeper compartment for two(there are other choices not quite so private). Tickets appear to just under $200 for the two (if purchased at the station) Getting them ahead of time is more expensive. You can try RAil Europe. They actually operate an office out of New York and I see a phone number of 800-438-7245

BigRuss Aug 21st, 2009 02:42 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Wentzl in Rynek Glowny. All rooms have a view of the Cloth Hall and St. Mary's Cathedral. If you can handle climbing stairs (no elevator, they'll carry the bags), it's good. Plus, the Szambelan shop is out the door, turn right, turn right off the square and at the next street -- they have great homemade vodkas.

I'd rethink that sleeper to Budapest from Krakow -- that's nearly 12 hours and the cost may be close to the price of a cheapo flight and hotel. If your time is worth nothing, then do the overnight.

internetwiz Aug 21st, 2009 02:49 PM

In Prague, we stayed at Dum u velké boty. It's right across the street from the German Embassy in a very quiet location. The owners are wonderful and while our room was small, it was clean and breakfast was prepared to order.

In Krakow we stayed at Hotel Polski. It was more expensive than we want to pay, but it was a great location. Just be sure to ask for a courtyard room. Rooms facing the street are very noisy. We had the handicapped room, which was larger than the rooms the rest of our group stayed in.

sandy_b Aug 21st, 2009 03:13 PM

Here's another vote for the Trecius . . . we stayed there and LOVED it! You can't beat the location (1 block from main square) or the price. Our room was lovely and I agree with Amy, the cleanest place I've ever stayed.

Sandy (in Denton)