Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Know of any reputable camera shops in Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My trip to Italy/France is fast approaching! I fly from Iraq to Kuwait on the 14th, and hopefully from Kuwait to Italy on the early morning of the 16th! I'm so excited and once I get there I can't wait to start taking photographs.

Unfortunately, I've been having some problems with my DSLR camera body lately. Since I'm stuck working in a remote part of Iraq with very few modern conveniences (let alone a full service camera repair shop) I will probably have to use a camera shop in Italy.

Can anyone recommend any good shops in the Florence area? I'll be there for three nights, and then staying about an hour away at a farm for another three nights so that may be just long enough for a repair.

Thanks, all!
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 07:02 AM

What make of camera? That will effect your chances of getting it looked at.
Most shops will want to send it off to the manufacturer/importer for repair, which trust me, can take months, not days. Many won't touch DSLRs them selves because of the warranty issues involved, should they damage the sensor or whatever.
What sort of problems are you having? Does it just need a good clean for instance or is it more serious?
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 08:02 AM

Consider phoning or emailing in advance the concierge of an upscale "American" hotel such as Hilton or Marriott in Florence and asking. Or even stop in when you get there. I would expect they will be used to dealing with tourist type problems like with cameras and speak English well. And if they have time I am sure they wouldn't mind earning a little goodwill with a member of our armed services. (My suggestion assumes you are American and don't speak Italian but I meant no offense if either of those is not true.)
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 10:18 AM

Have you tried calling the camera manufacturer's customer-service number? Someone there ought to be able to direct you to a repair shop or at least tell you how to proceed.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

To answer everyone's questions:

I have two DSLR bodies, a Nikon D40x and a Nikon D80. The Nikon D80 for some reason is *only* focusing on the left and may be fixed with a good cleaning. I'm not sure...

The D40x is is good working condition however I'd rather take the D80 because I want to bring my 50mm prime lens and since the D40x doesn't have a motor inside the camera, there is no auto-focus with this lens.

My last problem is that my kit lens (18mm-55mm) is not working at all. I have no idea why. That may actually have to be sent in to the manufacturer which is a huge pain considering that was my most versatile lens.

So, basically, I'd like to bring the D80 but the focusing is acting up. If I don't think that will be a quick fix in Florence I'll probably just bring the D40x, leave the kit lens in Iraq, and buy a better versatile lens a camera shop in Italy.

Laurie Ann, thank you for the suggestion on contacting a large chain hotel about shops - it is likely they will speak English and hopefully have recommendations. I didn't even consider that! Also, yes - I am American and I don't speak Italian aside from some basic phrases.

Hesti and Underhill, good advice on calling Nikon and figuring out if they have any shops in the area. I'll do that and thank you.

I wish I just back in the States and could take it in to be looked at! Grr!
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 06:08 AM

With a little looking around at the Nikon web site, I found links to Italian Nikon clubs and this, Nital, the main Nikon repair service for Italy. It is in Torino. Perhaps they could advise you on a location in Florence.

http://www.ltr.it/main/asp/CONTATTO.asp
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 06:52 AM
tod

Smile- Can't you buy a camera or have yours looked at in Kuwait? I bet they're a darn sight cheaper.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:30 AM

When I was in Florence I found a camera shop near the Duomo. If I remember correctly it was on a side street to the left as you face the front of the Duomo.

I needed a repair on my tripod and they were able to fix it. Wish I had the name of the store.

Good luck
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I'll have a look at the website and probably find a local shop.

As far as anything being cheaper in Kuwait - I wish! The Kuwait Dinar is some of the strongest currency in the world (in my experience). Currently one Kuwait Dinar (KD) costs $3.43. Oil has made Kuwait a very wealthy nation indeed...
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 06:44 PM

Smile, I can so relate to your camera issues. I have a Nikon D60,which was three months old, which died on the second day of a two week trip to Europe last October. The hotel indeed recommended two camera shops but neither of them could solve the problem. There were definitely limits on what they could do without voiding the warranty. They did some basic checking, tried a separate lens, etc., but nothing worked. It was later determined to have corrosion damage, which apparently occurred when someone put a water bottle in the overhead of the plane and it leaked, getting the camera bag damp but we didn't realize the camera was wet.
In any case, some of the questions they asked were about if the camera had been exposed to water, lots of dust, had been dropped, etc. I thought you might be having trouble with your cameras because of the dust in Iraq. If that is the case, I believe you have a good chance of finding a Nikon authorized dealer. Unfortunately, anything much more than cleaning does take quite a bit of time, like WEEKS.
I do wish you lots of luck with the cameras. It sure put a damper on our trip. Suggestions of just buying another camera probably wouldn't work for you, you have a lot invested in the equipment and obviously love photography and want to use what you have.
I'll be really interested in what you find about Nikon repairs in Europe. I didn't have reliable Internet and was moving around every few days on our trip, so I didn't try that. But I'd sure check their website for any info.
Have a great trip.