Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Know of any hotels you can get to by rail from Paris?

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to take a train from Paris (don’t want to rent a car) and stay for 1 or 2 nights somewhere lovely, a small French town. Anyone have just the place? I'd like someplace where we can walk from the train station into town and to a bed and breakfast or small hotel and just relax. It would be great to stay in a town with spots to eat and just hang out at.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Troyes has some decent hotels near the train station.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
This looks like a nice little town. I didn't find many good internet resources that describe small hotels and other accomodations in Troyes. Any ideas? Anyone been there?
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Maybe Arles? Not a teeny tiny town but very pleasant with the Roman ruins and Van Gogh connections, very walkable and many sidewalk cafes to hang out at. Not exactly a non-tourist destination but much quieter than Paris.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:56 AM
ira

Hi f,

Auxerre, Dijon/Beaune, St. Emilion, Colmar.

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:41 AM

Angers is not a small town but a small city and is delightful. 90 minutes by TGV from Paris. Hotel le Progres is lovely, right across the train station, which isn't a seedy area at all but nice and safe. Some great bakeries around the corner.
http://www.hotelleprogres.com/
Hotel du Mail is more central and is supposed to be quite charming. It's right in the middle of the old town.
http://www.hotel-du-mail.com/
Supberb food is to be had at Provence Caffé in the center of town:
http://www.provence-caffe.com/
The restaurant is next door to Hotel St Julien, which is recommended by Rough Guides:
http://tinyurl.com/ko4ha
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:15 AM

Amboise in the Loire Valley, about two hours by rail from Paris - cute smallish town on the Loire - has its own fab chateau and is just a few miles from Chenonceau, the Loire's most famous castle - can bike there thru the woods - many hotels here including one in a old palace type place. Also mini-bus tours from Amboise that take you to a few of the famous Loire castles.
also has Leonardo da Vinci's old house - now a museum of his drawings and innovations - he spent the last years of his life here as Francois I of France literally sought to bring the Renaissance to France. The French king lived in Amboise chateau at the time so brought Leonardo here. Leonardo is buried in the local church. The Loire river is at its loveliest here - wild looking, especially at sunset.
Lots of nice little hotels and some big chain ones as well.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Ibis hotels are often directly across from the train station in a lot of minor cities and just about every major one. www.ibishotel.com

I will add Metz and Nancy to the list of suggestions, as they are often overlooked.