Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Know Belfast? One day to do Black Cab Tours, HMS Titanic, and CS Lewis?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

We are a family of 6 -- 4 kids aged 10-17 -- spending one day in Belfast enroute to Bushmills area. I really want to do a "Black Cab" Tour, so that we all learn about the history of "the Troubles." I am sure that the kids will enjoy and be educated by the tour as well. However, I would also like to capitalize on some knowledge that the kids already have -- namely the Titanic and CS Lewis -- both of which are Belfast creations. My question -- should I just ask the Black Cab tour to include sites related to Titanic and Lewis, or should I take the Titanic walking tour and/or the CS Lewis coach tour? Can anyone weigh in on this? Much appreciated,

Absthegal
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 04:42 AM

Absthegal,

Belfast is a compact city and in a full day you can definitely do the Black Cab/Murals tour and the Titantic sights...........the Black Cab tour is a great experience if you are interested in the history of "The Troubles". The drivers are very friendly and knowledgeable. Be prepared to use a whole roll of film for the murals. I do not know if in fact one cab driver will do both however as the mural tour usually has a set price.

Good luck,

Mikek
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Mikek

Thanks so much for your input! I definitely won't miss the Black Cab Tours -- and thanks for the "roll of film" reference! My kids won't know what you are talking about -- but I do! [smiley emoticon here]

What really ARE the Titanic sights? The Ulster Transportation museum.... anything else?

I appreciate your help!

absthegal
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 12:36 PM

I would start your day in Donegall Square where the Belfast City Hal dominates, it is a great building and is in the middle of all kinds of shops, pubs, restaurants, ect...there is a memorial to the Titanic passengers as well....you will find the tourist hall near here and you can choose your Black Cab tour here as well....the Belfast Odyssey Center is a huge entertainment complex with a food court that your kids will surely enjoy....also I forgot to mention, make sure your Black Cab tour includes the "peace lines" an incredible part of the "troubles" that still exists today...I still have a tough time comprehending the complexity of it all, not having lived in the area to fully comprehend it.

Mikek
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 01:06 PM

I did the open top bus tour of Belfast. Fos a single it is cheaper than the black taxi. The open top tour bus does go through the murals section. The Titanic view is a big empty dry dock.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Hey spaarne and mikek

Thanks so much for your input; you've both given me some new ideas. I think, spaarne, that I will still do the Black Cab for the murals but as a way to see other sights in Belfast the open top bus is a great tip! And thanks for offering your honest opinion about the Titanic dock -- not quite what I was hoping for...

mikek -- what a great plan for spending the day; thanks so much!