Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Know any places between Shrewsbury and London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 08:36 AM
Stacy

We will be visiting london soon, but only for a few days. Never being there before, we would like to spend the majority of our time in London and already have several committments set up. However, one of my dearest friends lives in Shrewsbury, which I just found out is almost 3 hours away. Ack! I can't imagine going all the way to England and not seeing her, but both our schedules are hectic those few days. To cut down on travel time for both of us, does anyone know of any good places/towns to visit in between London and Shrewsbury where we could meet up for an afternoon (some sightseeing, nice lunch, etc.)? It would have to be a place equally easy for us to both get to, as well as not too long travel time for either of us. Also, if we do have to make the trip to Shrewsbury, would it be faster to rent a car and drive or is the train the best way to go? <BR> Thanks for the suggestions!

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 08:45 AM
Roger

How about Coventry. It seems to be about 1 1/2 hours by rail from each point. Think it leave from Euston station.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 09:47 AM
Steve

Hello Stacy, <BR> <BR>Bath? Stratford-on-Avon? Warwick? <BR> <BR>My choice would be Bath, - but then I'm biased. About 1 hour 15 minutes from London, - longer from Shrewsbury. Departs from Paddington. <BR> <BR>Warwick train departs from Marylebone Station. Not sure of travel time, - see <BR> <BR>www.chilternrailways.co.uk for details. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 09:53 AM
Steve

Oops, - I forgot! For other train times/details, see:- <BR> <BR>www.railtrack.co.uk

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 11:48 AM
Vicki

Take the train to Shrewsbury - it is a lovey place to visit - one of the highlights of my first trip to England. Many black and white buildings.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 12:37 PM
Clive

I think Roger's suggestion of Coventry is probably meant as a joke. I live 10 miles away from there, and it is one of the most grim cities in England. Avoid! <BR> <BR>Clive

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 01:24 PM
Roger

I read it to fast and only responded to a place equal distance from each starting point. I agree that Coventry is not you tourtist type place but what about the old cheuch and the new one next to it. At any rate it is a place where they could meet, chat and have lunch. Sorry if I gave bad advise.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 01:25 PM
Roger

Someday I will remember to edit my text before sending it. I can type better, really.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 12:46 PM
Mike

Stacy, <BR> <BR>I would agree with Vicki. Go and stay with your friend in Shrewsbury. It is a very pleasant pastoral part of the country, on the Welsh borders. Ironbridge is close by - one of the heartlands of the Industrial Revolution, and now has a good museum. There are lots of nice little towns, and the Severn runs through the area. <BR> <BR>I appreciate your problem, but the chance to see old friends AND a different and charming place is double the pleasure of a wet weekend in London. <BR> <BR>PS It is a nightmare drive - the section of motorway north of Birmingham is one of the busiest in Europe.