Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Kloster Maulbronn (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/kloster-maulbronn-937205/)

texasbookworm May 31st, 2012 04:22 AM

Kloster Maulbronn

In my search for places to go on a day trip (which could be 8-10 hours) from Frankfurt via train, I found Kloster Maulbronn. Any opinions? (This would be one of 8 or 9 day trips, so I don't need other suggestions, just hoping to hear others' experience. And it has to be a day-trip and it has to be by rail.)

texasbookworm May 31st, 2012 02:48 PM

ttt

For selfish reasons!

The silence is making me maybe a bit leery of this spot.

Anyone?

Patti May 31st, 2012 03:23 PM

I haven't been there but it is on my list for my trip to Germany this summer. It's a World Heritage site . And it gets good reviews on Trip Advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...rttemberg.html

lavandula May 31st, 2012 03:25 PM

The silence doesn't necessarily mean anything bad ... it just means Fodorites haven't discovered it yet. I certainly don't know that part of Germany very well. I googled it and it seems like it's UNESCO-listed. I don't think you could go wrong with that! Be brave and write us a trip report!!!!

Lavandula

texasbookworm May 31st, 2012 04:24 PM

Thanks. I tend to think like you, lavandula. And whatever I end up doing, I for sure will share a TR upon return.

valtor May 31st, 2012 07:31 PM

We visited Maulbronn monastic complex in October 2011. We spent there a very pleasant afternoon. The complex is very well preserved. The building is impressive, high and very decorated ceilings, a painted choir, a fountain sculpted in stone.
There are guided tours in German only, but there are audioguide tours in many languages.

Have a nice trip!

Ingo Jun 1st, 2012 12:38 AM

Haven't been there yet, but it is on my list. A *must* do in Germany! Definitely go if you can.

kkukura Jun 1st, 2012 03:44 AM

I will have to check this place out too. I am ging to want to do some day trips on the weekends while I am working in Stuttgart this summer. I see it is not too far from Stuttgart.

wanderfrau Jun 1st, 2012 07:54 AM

I've been there and it's beautiful. It's certainly worth a trip, but I'm not sure I would put it in my top 10 day trips from Frankfurt. If it intrigues you more than other places, GO! You won't be disappointed.

texasbookworm Jun 1st, 2012 08:32 AM

wanderfrau--I'm still trying to make a Top 9 list--wanna help? Right now I'm thinking this: Heidelberg, Koln, Mainz for a short day when I may need to be back by 1ish, two trips up the Rhine Valley (Rudesheim and Rheinfels one day, Rheinstein and Reichenstein another), Bamberg, Marburg, and Buedingen. Plus a day in Frankfurt. Will see Trier over the weekend with hubby as well as Kloster Eberbach on the day we arrive. (Have been to Wurzburg, Limberg, Worms, Bad Soden area before.)

kkukura Jun 2nd, 2012 04:45 AM

How about Burg Eltz? I love the walk up to the castle. http://www.burg-eltz.de/e_index.html

texasbookworm Jun 2nd, 2012 05:21 AM

kk--That was definitely on my list but I decided it is too far for me to walk from station; using public transport isn't an easy way to get there; I'll just have to enjoy hubby's pix of it for now!

In fact, I've just about ruled out the Kloster now, too, after investigating the public transport. If I were traveling with someone, I think I'd be "braver" about close connection times and local buses, etc., but traveling alone makes me think I'll stick to what I can see from not very far from a usally central train station.

If we're ever in Germany again with a car, I have now developed another list of must-sees!

LSky Jun 2nd, 2012 01:54 PM

It's on my list for my next trip to Stuttgart

kkukura Jun 2nd, 2012 02:42 PM

Texasbookworm-I walked to the Burg Eltz with three teenagers 5 years ago. It was a pleasant walk and on a beautiful path. I, too, though, will be doing my traveling by myself at times and will want to use public transportation most of the time, although I will have use of a car while in Germany. I just prefer taking trains so I can enjoy the sights without having to worry about how to get to the places.

I am from Houston...where are you from in TX?

texasbookworm Jun 2nd, 2012 04:02 PM

k--"Texas" is as close to specific as my husband likes us to get--but howdy!

Are you saying you walked all the way from the train station? I haven't ruled anything in or out definitely yet, so all info is still very welcome!

kkukura Jun 2nd, 2012 09:03 PM

Yes, we did walk all the way. It was a pleasant walk...nothing too strenuous and easy to follow. I had two 18 year olds and one 14 year old with me that time.

wanderfrau Jun 4th, 2012 08:26 AM

Texas - you have some good choices. I have been to all your choices except Buedingen and it is on my "to see" list.

Koln - can easily be a multiple day visit so plan your trip carefully so you see what you are most interested in. Consider a tour to the "top" of the Dom -- one of the best tours I have ever taken.

Mainz - also has lots to do and you may need more than a short day: the Dom, the Chagall windows, the Gutenberg museum just for starters.

Rhine Valley - Rudesheim is a popular spot, but one of my least favorite places. You may get multiple stops in one day, depending on how you work it. Consider adding Eltville and Oberwesel, two less popular spots, both beautiful.

Bamberg, Marburg -- two great places.

And, don't worry about the "close" connections. I've never seen a train or bus leave early. Public transportation is very dependable. And, in most cases if you do miss something, the next one isn't far behind.

texasbookworm Jun 4th, 2012 09:25 AM

Thanks for encouragement, wanderfrau! I appreciate your comments:

Yes, I am trying to plan carefully looking at transport, maps, connections, itineraries, etc., etc. I was definitely planning to climb the Dom at Koln.

My Mainz day will include the 3 things you listed as tops and I will probably have til about 2 it turns out.

Rudesheim is just for an hour or so at the end of a day if I feel like it. I've decided to spend 2 days on the Rhine--one to Rheinfels with a bit of time in Ruedesheim and another to the castles near Trechtingshausen. Played around with ferry/train transport ideas yesterday and have some options.

I may want to substitute Wartburg and Speyer for Bamberg and the Mainz-by-RailPass days (Mainz will be with the Hessen Pass instead of RailPass). I'm torn. Need one more day!

Yes, I've heard only good things about the public transport there.

texasbookworm Jun 4th, 2012 09:29 AM

Oh, and yes, we will see Eltville on the day we arrive I think, and I will be stopping at least for a little while in Oberwessel on one of my Rhine days.

wanderfrau Jun 4th, 2012 10:54 AM

Although Speyer is nice, DON'T skip Bamberg!