Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   KLM.com (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/klm-com-536012/)

voj125 Jun 11th, 2005 05:56 PM

KLM.com

I live in the US, and I was going to book a round-trip flight from London to Amsterdam on KLM.com (I found an excellent rate on the dates I needed). However I was told that I couldn’t book a flight on KLM.com using a US credit card, and that I instead need to use NWA.com. On NWA.com, however, the same flights cost 50% more than on KLM.com.

Please help – is there a workaround? I really want to get that rate, and I don’t have a European credit card.

LoveItaly Jun 11th, 2005 06:00 PM

Hi voj125. No problem, if you can't book the KLM flight from the NWA website just call NWA and tell them you want a KLM flight. Think you pay $5.00 to book via the telephone call.

I always fly KLM, but book through NWA. And I use my credit card which is issued here in the US. In fact I just did this last week for my daughter & SIL. In their case they flew SFO to Rome via NWA and will return via KLM.

You cannot book via the KLM website, so that is probably what caused you the concern. Best wishes, and post here again if you have any problems.

francophile03 Jun 11th, 2005 06:09 PM

Thanks for the advice. It always looks like if you live in the US you are forced to fly on Northwest as the website automatically diverts from KLM to Northwest.

voj125 Jun 11th, 2005 06:55 PM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I wasn't clear in my initial message. As you said, I can definitely book the same flights from nwa.com (as from any travel websites that sell airline tickets). My frustration is caused by the fact that nwa.com and all other websites have significantly higher prices on the same flights ... The sales agent at NWA telephone reservation desk acknowledged that it’s common for KLM.com to have lower prices than NWA.com. Doesn’t seem fair...

kybourbon Jun 11th, 2005 07:24 PM

I just entered some July dates for LHR to AMS and the price was cheaper on NWA.com not KLM.com. KLM prices are in pounds(96 for the flight I priced) while NWA will be in dollars($91). At the current exchange rates the KLM flight would be $174. Having just returned from Europe and traveling on KLM I would suggest you find another airline. Both flights were delayed and the planes were dirty.

For budget airlines in Europe try www.whichbudget.com

Intrepid1 Jun 12th, 2005 04:49 AM

Check out the prices for your dates on www.easyjet.com/en....and there will be no problems using ANY credit card, either.

Tulips Jun 12th, 2005 06:04 AM

Airline pricing policies are often very odd. If I go to the Dutch KLM website, the prices will be different than those quoted on the Belgian website. In that case, I would have to depart from Brussels. The strange thing is, that it is often a lot cheaper to fly from Brussels, and then change in Amsterdam. For a recent flight to NY, booking from The Netherlands was more than 400 Euro extra.
On a business class ticket to Curacao, the price difference can be thousands of Euros.