Kissing Bans at British Train Stations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the kissing ban on busy parts of the platforms at England's Warrington Bank Quay a harbinger of similar bans on bussing departing passengers to be put in place at other stations?

Well here's hoping a resounding NO - though i understand, by being on many a mobbed British train platform at rush hours (or any similar commuter train station throughout Europe) the reasons but as a tourist rail traveler seeing folks kissing goodbyes at stations as their loved ones board the train is great people watching. In the extreme the departing loved one hangs halfway out the train door until the train starts. And though a tad dangerous and yes disruptive it is so romantic to see.

The Warrington Bank Quay station has a kissing ban sign - a red diagonal line thru the silhoutte of a bussing couple (man and woman) - to indicate the no kissing zone - and there apparently is a Kissing Zone where couples can buss for up to 20 minutes - i guess someone would have to be timing them to bust them for exceeding the kissing limit - though in Britain i guess CCTV cams could well catch the offense.

Whether the ban is enforced or not is not clear.

Does anyone know any other stations with a No Kissing Zone?

The station received media coverage in February 2009 due to a sign recently erected prohibiting kissing from its drop-off point. The reason stated is to avoid queues as the station becomes busier. Colin Daniels, chief executive of the Warrington Chamber of Commerce originally suggested the idea light-heartedly, but Virgin Trains have included it as part of their regeneration of the station
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Note the last paragraph is from Wiki - meant to note that!
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 07:46 AM

I can't help thinking there probably isn't a lot else to do in Warrington.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 07:58 AM

They make Smirnoff there.

CW - HAs now exhausted his total knowledge of Warrington.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 09:09 AM

They can kiss, but only when the line is shut for works!!!
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 09:15 AM

I'd rather kiss than go sightseeing.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 09:46 AM

Like most inane ideas in NW England for the past 200 years this idea comes from a go-ahead local businessman seeing what Americans do, then slavishly copying it.

IN 1979, Deefield, Illinois, dreamt this up (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...920707,00.html)

The Warrington copy lasted just three weeks till it was laughed out of existence nine months ago (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...y-station.html)

But clearly it takes a long time for news of yet another fatheaded American idea being ridiculed to destruction by peole with sense to percolate through all that frozen paint in Michigan.

Incidentally, flannerclan members in Warrington tell me the sign's brief lifespan sparked off an epidemic of railway snogging. No Friday night on the WKD in the city's UNESCO-listed Old Quarter was complete without a pilgrimage to its historic station (admired by architecture connoisseurs, and listed in Pevsner's 'Buildings of England: Liverpool and SW Lancashire', as the "most complete remaining exemplar of the High Age of Victorian railway construction"), and a group kiss in front of the sign
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

no pait ain't freezing yet here in God's Country - far northern Michigan - County Roscommon it's called - but Higgie, a lake, has a thin film of ice on it today - a harbinger of days soon spent ice angling - hip flask at hand and perhaps something a bit more cerebral as well. Life in the shanty can be cozy - put some tip-ups out and you only have to wait and then hop into action. Nice hot wood stove in shanty and can cook the catch right up. Britains are so so culturally impoverished by the lack of ice angling opportunities - though perhaps in remote northern Scotland lakes freeze enough - soon we'll be driving our cars out on the ice, shanty in tow.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 01:43 AM

if you've ever heard the local accent i suspect kissing in warrington is popular as a means of shutting up your beloved
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

as long as their teeth don't get stuck intertwined?