Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Kissamos to Gramvousa/Balos Boat Excursion - the real deal?

Old Jun 29th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

I would love to hear from anyone who has done the all-day round-trip boat excursion that goes from Kissamos port to Gramvousa and then Balos. Photos on the boat operator’s (www.gramvousa.com) website shows pretty big cruise ships, which sometimes have the danger of being “booze cruises” (not what we’re looking for). As an alternative, is it possible (or smart) to hire smaller boats to take you out to other (perhaps) equally desirable destinations and get away from the beaten path a bit?

Also, if we do take the big cruise ship, should we buy tickets in advance or simply buy them the day of the trip at the ticket office at the port? I have emailed the company with this question, but haven’t heard back from them. We are going to be in Crete at the end of September.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 07:50 AM

I haven't done this trip or been to Kissamos, but I have been to Crete in September and October. In late September, the tourist season will be coming to a close, and you will have no problems booking excursions or finding accommodation. If you want to go on one of the excursion boats, there should be no problem buying tickets at the port; if you want to hire a smaller boat, there's probably someone who will oblige.
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Hi Elisa
I was hoping you would get more replies to your post as I also intend to do the cruise to Balos thing, -in August. I tried to book my ticket in advance on their website but the e-ticket facility is in Greek, - even on the English language version of the site. I tried emailing the company but my email was returned to me having failed to be delivered. I may resort to ringing the office, - I suppose its my best option. I'd say you'd have no bother with boozers or excessive crowds in September. Unfortunately I have to go to Crete in crazy August or not at all!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 04:10 PM

Hi, my friends and I stayed in Kolimbari at my son in law's house and we did the very beautiful boat excursion to Gramvousa and Balos. It was not a "booze cruise" but a very delightful excursion. We bought our tickets from a travel agent in Kolimbari Center (between a produce store and a cafe. I think her name was Mary and I believe the cost was 20 euros...not bad for the whole day of cruising in beautiful blue, clear water. However, if I remember correctly, we picked up the boat from Kolimbari harbor. My friends and I were so impressed with this trip. The scenery was absolutely beautiful. A few yards from the beach in either Gramvousa or Balos (I forget which one)some people jumped off of the boat and swam to shore. Those of us who didn't were brought in by small boats. (Either wear your bathing suit or take it with you then change). We stayed a couple of hours..the water was warm and fabulous..it was a day to remember.
Don't miss it. We went in May, 2006. You can buy food and beverage on the ship and either stay below or on top while you sit at tables. I think Balos is the island that was inhabited by pirates centuries ago and there is a Venetian church which you can hike to.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 10:54 AM

I'm interested in doing this boat tour. Anyone have any further insight into this? I realize the posting originated two years ago.

Thanks!!! Can't wait to go!!!

Ross
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 02:17 PM

Nope, didn't go, but each time I've been to Crete, including Chania this May, there were brochures around, so it must still be in business.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 09:38 AM

travelerjan,

Any suggestions other than the boat to Balos beach from Chania as day-trips?

Thanks so much!!!

Ross
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 04:55 PM

Ross, tell me what time of year you will be visiting Western Crete, and how many days you have to spend there please give dates, not just "spring" ... I personally do not believe that one should stay in Chania for 5-6 days & do "day trips" ... Maybe 2, then move on ... otherwise too much backtracking. Also what are y our interests & priorities... have you studied and become enthused about Ancient Greek history... or are you a photo buff & want to take dramatic landscape shots? or do you want to hike into small villages? or take a Jeep Safari? What's your general age range, fitness level, activity interests?

When I know more, I can zero in on something for you ... I'm not going to write a long essay including everything so you can pick and choose, I have places to go, people to see So share more! I look forward to hearing!