Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Kinsale, Kilkenny, Dublin -- Where to stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/kinsale-kilkenny-dublin-where-to-stay-61652/)

Harriett Feb 3rd, 2000 12:29 PM

Kinsale, Kilkenny, Dublin -- Where to stay?

My husband and I will be in Ireland in October, primarily for him to run in the Dublin Marathon. We also plan a night or two in Kilkenny, and a couple of nights in Kinsale, driving over to Cork for the Guinness Jazz Festival. I'm looking for suggestions on places to stay in Kilkenny, Kinsale and Dublin environs -- we'll have a car, and prefer B&B/guesthouses or small hotels, approx. 100-150 pounds per night w/breakfast. I'm also looking for suggestions for well-priced car rentals. Thanks for any ideas ...

Patrick Feb 3rd, 2000 12:38 PM

In Kinsale, we loved the Blue Haven, right in the heart of the town, with a pub and a superb small restaruant and a handful of rooms --maybe 20. It was wonderful, and I think still in your price range. For car rental, we checked a lot and used Dan Dooley, superb service and great rates. They are all over Ireland. We found a toll free number for booking from the US, two years ago before I was on the net. They may have a web site too, do a search. No help with Kilkenny, we just spend part of a day there, and stayed inside Dublin.

Sandy Feb 4th, 2000 06:11 AM

Hi, hubby and I were in Kilkenny in November and stayed at a wonderful B&B, Ardee House, Springmount, Waterford Rd., ph/fax 011-353-56-62699. Of all the great B&Bs we stayed in (and they were ALL great), this was the best. The proprietor Pat and his wife were super friendly and helpful. Our lovely en-suite room had TV w/remote, clock radio, hairdryer. For breakfast, there was a continental bar set up w/several kinds of juices, fresh fruit, muffins, breads, coffee, tea, cheeses, sausages. That's in addition to his extensive cooked-to-order hearty breakfast. We paid 18 Irish Pounds ea, which was about $47.50 total). <BR> <BR>We also used Dan Dooley (in Ireland: 062-53103; 800-331-9301 in US) and can't recommend them enough. Not only were they a pleasure to deal with but they were cheaper than any other quote I received by at least $100! You'll have a great trip, Ireland is wonderful!

Mariel Apr 22nd, 2000 09:27 PM

Harriet, <BR> We stayed at a wonderful B&B <BR>in Kilkenny called "Cnoc Mhuire" on Castle Rd. - right off the New Ross-Rosslare Rd. (R700). The owners, Helen and Don Sheehan were great, house was lovely, and the breakfast was delicious. They were extremely helpful <BR>with suggestions, recommendations, etc. <BR>You couldn't ask for a nicer B&B.

steve Apr 24th, 2000 06:04 PM

I recently stayed at Willowtree B&B in Swords, just a couple of miles from the Dublin Airport and a one turn drive into downtown Dublin. It was 22.50 punts per person (less than $30) for a nice room and excellent breakfast

Sandra Apr 25th, 2000 10:09 AM

Argus car hire in Dublin offer good deals, are at Dublin airport and in Dublin city and are really helpful.I think they're on the net somewhere.