Reload this Page >

Kings Cross or South Kensington Area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 08:59 PM
Sandy

Leaving in a couple of days for a trip abroad. We are thinking of staying at the Holiday Inn Kings Cross or Holiday Inn Kensington. Any thoughts on which is a better area, and closer to the tourist sights.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 10:06 PM
Tony

Kings Cross is probably slightly closer to most attractions, but Kensington is a much, much better area, and public transport is absolutely plentiful.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 01:34 AM
a ross

Agree totally with Tony. There is no comparison between the areas - Kensington is much nicer with proximity to central london as well as other noteworthy places (VA and natural history museums, notting hill, kings road) worth visiting.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 06:21 AM
topper

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 06:29 AM
Kevin G

We always stay in South Kensington. It has real neighborhood feel to it. Not at all sterile, commercial, or touristy. The South Ken subway station has three different lines running through it so you can get just about anywhere without the hassle of transferring. The sights in London are spread out so anywhere you stay you will need to take the tube. Having an underground station nearby that runs more than one line is probably more important than having a hotel that is near one tourist sight.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 06:44 AM
John

Plus, the Kings X Holiday Inn is very much a business type and/or tour groups type hotel. It's a long walk from the tube, (and the station, too, actually) through a rather run down and very trafficky area, so it makes one's visit even more expensive because it's taxis everywhere. We stayed there because the conference people booked us in, but we wouldn't return. Hotel rooms were okay, though.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 08:18 AM
elaine

Kensington/South Ken. are wonderful areas to stay in. There are so many good hotels in London, there shouldn't be too much of a need to settle, unless all the good places are booked

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 07:30 PM
maura

I totally agree with what everyone has said. On average I go to London once a yr and everytime we stay in the South Kensington/Kensington area. I recommend this area to all first time tourist mostly because the S.Kennsignton tube is not only convinient but the lines that run to that stop are the ones that go to the most attractions that most first time London goers are interested. The museums are a short walk,as well as Harrods too. I also enjoy the Knightsbridge area although the tube isn't as good for first time tourist(not as many lines)!