king ludwig musical website- ques re: stageplan and purchase of tickets

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I am planning to purchase tickets for the King Ludwig musical in Fussen in August. The website is in German but the online ticketing portion is in English so I think I will manage to buy the tickets online. The stageplan, however, is not that detailed (i.e. exact location of rows and seats). I generally prefer my theatre seats to be in the mezzanine (as in the US) /dress circle (as in London) section, not the orchestra level. From the website, I'm not sure if "Pk 2 or Pk 3" is the elevated section that I want. Also in the ticket purchase section, you have a choice for either "web-normal" or "web-kind" (cheaper)...Is this a normal web discount or a discount for some other stuff, i.e. handicapped etc...I've tried pasting some portions of the site in an online translation site but it is just so tedious and not very accurate....one last ques, the musical is for 3 hrs or so, so we will be out of the theatre at about 10:30 pm...we have no car, are there..er..taxis in fussen at this time?...Thank you in advance for any answers.
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:48 PM

What an interesting post. We visited and saw the show two summers ago, but had heard it had since closed permanently, so it is nice to know it is operating again -- if it is.

Regarding seats -- the "orchestra" level is very deeply raked -- think stadium seating in a movie house. The balcony or mezzanine area is considerably further back, not overhanging much if any of the orchestra. I'd go for orchestra seats as visability is wonderful.

If they do it, I'd also strongly advise a backstage tour earlier in the day. We were told it was only in German, but went anyway and nodded a lot. Being a theatre person, I could pretty much figure it all out. After the tour, the girl was surprised that we didn't know German, and insisted that we should have informed her and she would have been giving it to us in English as well, despite our warning they wouldn't do that.

It was pouring rain the night we left, but I didn't notice taxis as we ran the very long distance to the parking lot.
Old May 18th, 2005, 12:53 AM

We've seen this show twice, once in the "orchestra" section and once in the so-called royal or some other term box section..the most expensive seats you can get but we were fortunate enough to have received them complimentary...

Anyway, the sightlines are pretty good from about anywhere in this theatre IMO.

BOTH times we saw this show we did not have a car and took a local taxi from "downtown" which was easy enough. And, BOTH times when the show let out we weren't able to find a taxi, nor were we able to get a local bus and we walked back into town. The walk really isn't that bad or unpleasant; there are actually sidewalks most of the way back.

Unfortunately the last time it started to rain..quite an adventure.

I am glad the show is still running. As an art form I would classify it as "high operetta" and from a theatrical standpoint I firmly believe it is worth the effort to see it.

They spent a lot of money on the complex by the shores of the lake.

Enjoy.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:28 PM

It has been on ARD Television ("Aspekte Magazine&quot that they have to stop the show, because they couldnt find any more "idiots" who would want to pay money for it. They didnt use the word, but they made it clear that it was only aimed at tourists and no sane person would want to visit this show. I have no idea, but that s what they said on state german TV (ARD)... They usually dont have that strong critisism, so be careful...
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:00 PM

Friedrich Gulda is playing Mozart Sonatas for his 75 birthday on 16.05.05 and people are talking about "king ludwig musical". Sigh... There is so much more to Bavarian/Austrian culture...
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:16 PM

Well,the fact remains that if it hadn't been for the so-called "mad" king building those palaces and castles there might be a lot fewer "idiots" willing to troop around down there to see and enjoy them and spend money!

The "musical" has become a part of the overall landscape, whether or not it continues. It happened in Bavaria and to deny or even pretend it isn't, or wasn't, a part of the whole scene seems foolish.
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:40 PM

I've never been to the King Ludwig Musical, but what is wrong with it that people attending would be branded "idiots"? Does it differ significantly from other musicals around the world?
Old May 18th, 2005, 06:45 PM

"Does it differ significantly from other musicals around the world?"

Yes, it does differ, in that it is considerably better than most.

The comment about only idiots attending reminds me of the frequent posts here about that "horrible" Disneyworld, and how nobody in their right mind would go there.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Oh dear, I'd hate to be classified as an idiot...anyway, I ended up calling the ticket hotline for info and the lady said the show was only in German, no english subtitles...and "web-kind" was a discount meant for those below 15 yrs old...oh well, we'll see....
thanks to everyone for all their responses.
Old May 20th, 2005, 02:08 PM

Well, you better shouldnt advertise you have been there or even liked the show, you might be classified as an americ.. idi.. Have fun watching it anyway ;-)
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:54 PM

The Fodor snobs never give up do they?
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:43 PM

When we saw it two summers ago, there were English subtitles projected across the proscenium. Did they stop that?
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:53 PM

To be very honest about it even if there were no longer any sub or surtitles, the music is so melodic, and the final scene so dramatic I'd go anyway...in fact, I'd honestly go again even though we've seen it twice already.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Since everybody here in Munich wants to get a piece of the cake (=money), here it is: The Ludwig Musical Downtown Munich, starting Aug. 1st. Even though I REALLY do hate this... Chaq`un à son goût.

http://www.deutsches-theater.de/dt/d...ng/index_e.php