Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Kindli or Florhof hotel Zurich (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/kindli-or-florhof-hotel-zurich-622531/)

packed Jun 10th, 2006 09:53 PM

Kindli or Florhof hotel Zurich

We are staying overnight in Zurich to catch a plane the next day to the US in mid Sept. The Kinli hotel is an option, but has no air. Also looking into the Flohof Hotel, but only the very deluxe room has air and is quite a bit more expensive. Both hotels are about the same price for regular rooms, $300+ . We would like to get some sleep before our flight and know that if we have to leave the windows open it could be noisy. We like the fact that both hotels seem to have some charm. Any comments? Thanks

Budman Jun 11th, 2006 04:47 PM

Have you thought of Priceline. I stayed my last night last month in Zurich and got the Intercontinental for $80 bid. With fees, etc, it came to $91.

There are a couple of 4* that people are getting -- the Intercontinental and the Marriott, both I would think would have A/C. ((b))

packed Jun 11th, 2006 09:07 PM

Looking more for a room in or near the old town and a smaller hotel, but thanks for the info.

WallyKringen Jun 11th, 2006 09:12 PM

That's a lot of money to basically just sleep while waiting to catch a plane.

Still, realize that the Swiss don't think too highly of a/c, to find a good integrated system (rather than a window-sill rattler) is rare.

In mid-September I don't see why you'd need it. How about earplugs, tha high-decibel ones, the good waxy kind - you'll appreciate them on the plane anyway, won't you?

WK

packed Jun 13th, 2006 06:15 PM

Am also considering the Helmhaus hotel because of the air conditioning. So Florhof, Kindli, or Helmhaus. Any comments on THESE hotels. Thanks

packed Jun 16th, 2006 06:57 AM

anyone out there?

dickv2 Jun 16th, 2006 08:31 AM

Have used the Kindli quite a few times over the past twenty years and found it
to meet all my needs while in Zurich.
Is a very quiet hotel, good staff and etc.Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.

swandav2000 Jun 16th, 2006 09:23 AM

Hi packed,

Sorry, I have no personal experience with these hotels as I usually stay in a suburb of Zurich.

But I can suggest that you do a text search for each hotel here; they all have been discussed.

Good luck!

s

Cicerone Jul 2nd, 2006 10:26 PM

In mid-September it kind of a crap shoot as to how hot it will be, it is quite unlikely to be hot, but you may get a very unusually warm day. Take a look at weatherbase.com for temps. On a weeknight in September in either area, it is also unlikely to be noisy much past 8 or 9 pm, so again I would not worry too much about that. (I agree with the ear plugs in any event, I always have them on hand just in case.)

The Kindli is in a much more charming part of the old town, the Flurohof is really on the edge of the old town, it is quite literally across the street from the last street of the right bank of the old town. The advantage of the Flurohof if you have a lot of bags would be that it is just a few steps to a tram, which would then take you to a train station, or you could even roll your bags down hill to the Stadelholfen train station which is quite close. (If you have a lot of bags, I would store most of them either at the main train station or at the airport itself, depending on where you are coming from when arriving into Zurich; just take a carry on to the hotel. Also, if you are flying a non-US carrier, you may also be allowed to check-in early for your flight when you arrive the night before, www.zurich-airport.com and click on "check-in" and then "check-in by airlines". This would save you quite a bit of time in the morning. Also you may be able to send your bags to the airport ahead by rail and just collect them at the airport when you check in the morning of your flight. Take a look at http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/...er/flyrail.htm, see the text in red at the bottom on the page, as this is what applies to you flying to the US. This requires some organization as you have to get the bags to the train station a few hours before the flight.)

The Helmhuas, while it is a charming part of the old town, is not nearly in the same class as the Kindli or the Flurohof as far as charm. It is rather plain, Danish modern furniture and a bit worn. Having stayed there one night to escape 100 degree temps in my own non-air conditioned flat nearby, I can also say that the air con units are window units and are not the silent type...however, location is good for the old town and for the Stadlehofen train station as well.

packed Jul 3rd, 2006 07:01 PM

Great imput. Thank you for the details.