Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Kindle app for iPhone (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/kindle-app-for-iphone-841173/)

Therese May 20th, 2010 06:23 PM

Kindle app for iPhone

Has anyone else tried this? It's free at iTunes, fast app download via wifi, easy shopping at Amazon, book downloads in seconds. About halfway through "The Imperfectionists", which is terrific, setting mostly Rome.

My new favorite toy.

Therese May 20th, 2010 06:24 PM

Whoops, meant to say App Store, not iTunes.

julia1 May 20th, 2010 06:43 PM

I've had the free Kindle app on my iPhone for nearly a year now and love it. Have about 7 books I can turn to when stuck waiting in line, at a railroad crossing, etc.

Therese May 20th, 2010 07:12 PM

I was a bit concerned that I'd find the screen too small, but it's fine.

I really, really love books, but the savings in paper waste (and weight/bulk when traveling) is compelling.

AlessandraZoe May 21st, 2010 02:54 AM

Five family members "share" our Kindle account either with iphones or actual Kindles. It's just great to say to my daughter while waiting a zillion hours in a Dr's office, "Hey, I'm really enjoying 'x'--you should read that too!" and have her pull out her phone and start reading.

susanna May 21st, 2010 05:42 AM

I think it's terrific, have been using it for about 6 months. In fact, I borrowed someones Kindle to see if it was something that I would like and I prefer my iphone because it has a lighted screen making it great for nite time readers.

Therese May 21st, 2010 09:08 AM

I just figured on the coolness of the illuminated screen last evening, when I was reading outside on the porch and didn't have to go turn on a light when it got dark. I'll be in Las Vegas tomorrow, so will check on performance characteristics in bright light.

Jim_Tardio May 21st, 2010 11:12 AM

It works perfectly on my iTouch as well. Do a search on Amazon and you'll find many travel guide books as well. I just loaded Rick Steve's Berlin.

Therese May 27th, 2010 10:05 AM

Used my iPhone Kindle on a red eye flight, and by switching from black font (against a white background) to white font (against a black background) was able to use it without generating as much light and thereby avoid disturbing the people around me who were trying to sleep.

I also used it at the pool, and found that I could use just fine as long as I adjusted the angle of the screen a bit relative to the sun.

Love this app.

zeppo2 May 27th, 2010 10:26 AM

I liked the app on my iTouch, but I just got the iPad. I I REALLY love it on the iPad. I hardly use the Kindle anymore when I travel, so it's been given to my wife, and my son got the old iTouch. Like AlessandraZoe said, it's great to share the account with everyone in the family.

moremiles May 19th, 2012 06:59 AM

I'm a new ipad owner and have the kindle app on it and my iphone. So, do I just sign in to amazon and then download a book even though I have no kindle? It will download onto my ipad and my iphone? Thanks.