Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Kinda of nervous to travel with a 2 and half year old to Italy

Old May 29th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello my fellow travellers. My name is Giovanna. My husband are possibly going on a trip to italy with our 2 and half year old daughter.We are kinda of nervous, Never travelled with her before anywhere really far.This will be her first trip overseas. We were also thinking about bringing her car seat. Good idea or bad idea??. And has anyone else travelled with child(ren) to europe and how was the trip coming back home. Would you do it again??Travelling in mid August return mid sept.

Thanks to all who answer.

Happy travells

Giovanna
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:25 AM
BKP

Don't be nervous -- just be prepared. There are so many posts about taking toddlers to Europe, do a search and you'll find them.

car seats -- you may or may not be able to bring it on the plane. Check to see if your particular seat is approved by the airline and then check to see if it is allowed. There is a product called the CARES harness that you clip on to the plane seatbelt and acts more like a carseat belt than a lap belt. We like ours. You will also need to see if your seat is approved for use in the EU.

plane ride -- this can be difficult, especially if you're flying from the states. The more prepared you are the happier your child will probably be. Bring toys, new ones that she isn't already bored with, some people wrap them for the added fun (and time spent occupied by them). Bring lots of food and treats that your child loves. We found that the plane ride isn't the time to push healthy eating. Whatever makes your child happy works. We also bring a laptop and dvds. Some parents are against that -- but we swear by them! Bring more diapers than you think you will use and an extra outfit. Some people also bring extra clothes for themselves but we never have had room. Just wear dark clothing! Last, WIPES! WIPES! WIPES!

Italy -- we've only taken our toddler to Rome but he loved every minute of it. We didn't try to take him to the Vatican, but he did enjoy the Colosseum. He also loved pizza, pasta, gelato, and feeding the pigeons. The Italians loved him! Lots of petting and touching, everyone talked to him and no one seemed put out by him.

We've never had an issue with jetlag. Once on the ground we work really hard to keep to his schedule from home. Up early in the morning out to site see. Home in the afternoon for a nap (for everyone). Little more site seeing, mostly walking, and then dinner. We usually ate earlier than locals which worked for us.

We also prefer to rent apartments over hotel rooms. More space for your toddler to toddle. Separate sleeping/living areas so you don't have to go to sleep just because she does. We also kept cheese, yogurt, fruit, and juice in the fridge. A hungry baby (or a hungry mom) is hardly ever happy!

We don't bring a stroller because he doesn't like it anymore. If your daughter will sit in one, people like the maclarens. You want something heavy duty enough to make it over cobblestones and uneven pavement, but lightweight enough that it is still easily maneuverable.

Have fun. We've been to Rome with and without our son. We enjoyed it more with him. It gave us more a chance to interact with locals and take things at a slower pace. Good luck!
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Toddlers handle overseas travel better than adults. The parents should worry more about themselves.
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:33 AM

Hi Giovanna,
Do not worry; just go and enjoy! One of my favourite photos of my kids are from Venice. They are feeding the pigeons and having a lot of fun. My daughter was two and my son four years old. Keep the pace somewhat slower and go to the beach too. Playing in the sand is fun and good rest between sightseeing days.
They have been traveling since birth to Europe and really enjoy it. This is how they got the travel bug.
Today they travel with friends or they invite their friends along to our family trips. So take her as often as you can. Inspite of the little hassle these will be your nicest memories.
About flying: make sure you take some of her favourite (small) toys, books, snacks and her drinks. Keep her entertained. The car seat is a good idea. We always borrowed one from family, but never used it on the plane.
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:50 AM

One piece of strategic and self centred advice - after boarding work out which seats are not taken - if there are seats that are together and empty - as soon as the unfasten your seatbelt sign lights after take-off - dive for those seats - we bagged 12 seats between 3 of us on a UK to Vancouver flight - it means that you have a lot of space to sleep.
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the advice, very much appreciate. We will flying from Ontario Canada where we live. to lamezia.which will be taking 3 planes. Has anyone else taken more than 2 planes to get to europe? keep the advice coming this way.Oh ya my daughter also drinks goats milk.Do you think there would be a problem with me putting her milk in one of those stainless steel thermos.I hope there won't be a problem going through customs?

Giovanna
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Necessary baby food is totally authorized on all flights, liquid or not.
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:52 PM

All good advice--I would include a change of clothes for her, just in case the flight gets delayed. Also make sure you bring basic medicine--like baby tylenol, antihistamine in carryon.

My husband and I usually do "divide and conquer" approach when it comes to boarding airplanes. One of us go in first to secure overhead storage, while one of stay as late as possible with the kids so that they can run around and tire themselves out a bit.

Some toddlers may have difficulty adjusting pressures in their ears. Sipping drinks, eating fruit leather seem to work.

I recommend bringing snacks--it may take a while before you get inflight meals. Things that was easy to take were cereal, plain cooked pasta shapes, rice crackers, individual cheese potions, grapes, cherry tomatoes, cucumber/carrot sticks. Bananas tend to get mashy in my carryon bag, so I'm not a big fan. We also have yogurt that comes in plastic tubes/pouches--within 3oz limit. Aside from wipes, I bring extra ziplock bags.

You should be able to find goat milk in Europe--definitely widely available at larger supermarkets in the UK, not sure about Italy--you may have to check health food stores. If for allergy or medical reasons, you might want to see if she takes dried goatmilk powders before your trip.

Rome in mid-August can be quite hot. You may want to take it easy in the middle of the day, take a nap.
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Hi Giovanna

As others have said, just be prepared. A lot of good advice has been given already. Plenty of extra clothes for baby, but extra clothes for you - in case of an accident.

Stroller: We have a Chicco Ct0.5 Adventure Stroller, folds like an umbrella and weighs under 14 lbs. My four year old still uses this, and it has a recline position.

Portable Bed: We recently purchased a PeaPod made by Kidco. Bought it on Amazon but also can be bought online at Target. It is a small popup infant/child bed. Lightweight, folds up like one of those cheap popup hampers. Comes with an inflatable mattress, and sleeping bag. Folds up small enough that a preschool can carry. My 4 yr old and 18 month old LOVE it. We are planning to take to Europe next year, and use it now for camping.

Search this board for I know recently we have had similar discussions what to take. Remember things like disposable bibs, sippy cups, special blankets or security objects, tiny baggies for messy diapers or pullups, disposable table liners (where baby sits at table), wipes, etc. Take enough for few days and surely you can find suitable supplies overseas. Remember things like baby tylenol or cold meds, just in case.

I strongly advocate the apartments as well. Much more space, and more of a home-like atmosphere.

Keep asking questions. I also found a cool book called Paris with Kids made by Open Road Series. I see there is one for Italy as well (try amazon.com). May be geared for a little older than a toddler, but this book tells where parks are in the neighborhoods, carousels, etc.
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:19 PM

Giovanna, someone named "mebe" posted a wonderful trip report here a couple of years ago about taking a toddler to Italy. Her child was only 15 months old, so quite a bit younger than your daughter, but you might find the report interesting.

Here's the link:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34802236

Anselm
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:59 PM

We never took 3 planes but took 2 planes plus picked up a rental car and drove 3 more hours. (Also from Ontario)At the end of the trip I did not look like somebody arriving from the spa but it was worth it.
Just think about what makes your daughter comfortable; that will make your journey easier. Extra clothing, wipes, Tylenol, her usual food and treats are all good advice.
Luckily you will have a month in Italy. You will forget the flights soon. Same on the flight back home.
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

thanks to all whom gaves me such wonderful advice.We might planning to travel in August. the nice thing is we don't have to worry about hotels and such. we have alot family there.
Old May 30th, 2008, 12:58 PM

I just returned from Italy and was amazed by the number of parents traveling with children--even infants.