Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Killarney to Waterford in 10 hours! Must sees! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/killarney-to-waterford-in-10-hours-must-sees-140013/)

Philip Jan 4th, 2003 03:39 PM

Killarney to Waterford in 10 hours! Must sees!

My wife and I are visiting Ireland for the first time this May. We are spending a few days each in Counties Clare and Kerry. We normally drive on right side of road (Americans). Because of scheduling, we will need to drive between Killarney and Waterford in one day. Karen Brown would suggest going south through Kenmare to Ballydehob and then east along coast to Waterford. The map would suggest going N22 / N25.<BR><BR>HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS!<BR>1. What is preferred route?<BR>2. What are the must see sights (e.g. Kinsale) between the two cities? <BR>3. How are the roads?<BR>4. What did I forget to ask?<BR>5. Best pub with trad music in Waterford is?<BR><BR>Thanks Philip<BR><BR>OH! HOW ARE THE ROADS BETWEEN PUB IN DOOLIN AND GREGANS CASTLE HOTEL NEAR BALLYVAUGHN. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO MUSIC, ETC. BUT AM CONCERNED ABOUT DRIVING ON LEFT AT NIGHT ON WAY BACK TO HOTEL AFTER A FEW.

david s Jan 4th, 2003 04:54 PM

Haven't a clue about N25 and N22, but you'll never make it doing the Killarney-Kenmare-Bantry-Ballydehob-N71, etc route (not and see anything, anyway). The road between Killarney and Bantry is narrow, twisty and mountainous. You really can't average much more than 30, and it's white-knuckle driving every step of the way. The &quot;N&quot; series roads are third-class country roads in North America.<BR><BR>N67 between Ballyvaughan and Doolin is just as narrow (narrower perhaps) and twisty enough. You'd be taking your life in your hands to drive this at night after a few Guinness'. My wife and I did this route in November, and we recommend highly against night driving anywhere in Ireland. Nothing is as short as it looks on the map. Be aware that the roads have no shoulders, a rare centre line and are flanked by foliage-covered hedgerows made of rock (tough on the wheel-covers and sidemirrors). It's a two-day trip by way of Kenmare and south. You may want to adjust your schedule, as the southern route along N71 and off-roads is truly worth seeing. Little places like Skibbereen and Timoleague are worth spending time in, and Kinsale is undeniably attractive, although moving very much into the tourist-trap-and-rip-off category.

David D. Jan 4th, 2003 09:27 PM

Philip,<BR><BR>Congratulationss on your upcoming trip to Ireland. You'll have a splendid time, no doubt, particularly if the ever fickle weather gods are on your side.<BR><BR>As to traveling from Killarney to Waterford, you've got at least a couple options, but both come with drawbacks. (I made the drive last summer, only doing it in the opposite direction.) The drive from Killarney to Kenmare is highly scenic, and the prospect of driving along some of the minor West Cork roads into Kinsale is very appealing, but I wouldn't recommend doing it if you're hoping to get to Waterford on the same day. <BR><BR>On the other hand, you could head east from Killarney town and make a bee-line for the North Cork town of Mallow. This is a dull, unremarkable drive, but it's probably the quickest route to Waterford. If you go this route, continue heading east toward Dungarvan, in County Waterford. At this point, consider driving the minor roads along the Waterford coast. It's a very attractive, underrated drive, and off the tourist trail. <BR><BR>As an alternative, consider making a side trip from Mallow and head northeast to Cahir (see the castle) and then on to County Tipperary. Here you can visit one of Ireland's must-see sites, the Rock of Cashel. After visiting the Rock and having a fine lunch at the Cashel Hotel, backtrack to Cahir, then jump on the N24 to Clonmel, down to Carrickon-Suir, and then on to Waterford City.<BR><BR>I can't comment on traditional music in Waterford, but do try to see the city's very fine museum, located not far from Reginald's Tower. I think it's located at the Granary. It presents an informative and highly entertaining overview of Waterford's history.<BR><BR>Finally, the roads from Doolin to Ballyvaughn, through the Burren, are quite narrow. I don't think I'd recommend doing the drive at night, especially if you're planning a night of merriment. But by all means do the drive during daylight, as it is quite attractive. Incidentally, make a point of having lunch and/or dinner at Monk's Pub, located in Ballyvaughn. The drink and seafood is very nice.<BR><BR>Best of luck.

Philip Jan 5th, 2003 09:40 AM

<BR><BR>Thanks for help! I have emailed the hotel asking if think we will be able to get cabs to and from Doolin. I do not want to drive at night.<BR><BR>NEED YOUR HELP CONCERNING POSTS ABOVE! Since we will not have time to do the area correctly, does it make more sense to send a couple hours in Kinsale or cruising from Dungarvan - Annestown - Tramore into Waterford? Would you skip Blarney Castle in favor of Kinsale or coast drive?<BR><BR>Thanks Philip

David D. Jan 5th, 2003 05:40 PM

Philip,<BR><BR>I suspect the following is a minority opinion, but Blarney - the gift of eloquence and all that - is an overrated bust. The castle itself, along with the grounds, are pleasant enough, but it's by no means worth a special trip.<BR><BR>Should you see Kinsale, have lunch at Bulman's Pub, just down the road from Charles Fort. Both are located just outside Kinsale in an area known as Scilly. Indeed, if the weather is fair, consider walking along the path from downtown Kinsale to Scilly and the Bulman. It's great fun to walk along the fort's ramparts. Another place to consider is having lunch at the Blue Haven. Finally, enjoy walking the narrow streets of Kinsale (consider a walking tour). There's plenty of good upmarket shopping to be done.<BR><BR>If you decide on the Waterford coast, and you're looking for lodging, consider staying at the very fine Annestown House. It overlooks the ocean and features first-rate dining. Have a memorable dinner here and enjoy the cozy livingroom. Ah..bliss.

bill Jan 6th, 2003 09:06 AM

Philip:<BR><BR>One thing that may help is that it doesn't get dark until about 10-10:30 in May. The down side is that music doesn't often start until about 9:30-10:00. That varies occasionally in Doolin in that there are sometimes some earlier sessions. <BR><BR>I'm not sure I agree with the fear of driving at night, but the fear of drinking and driving is another thing. I actually found it a bit easier in some respects to drive at night, because you can see headlights coming around a bend. You can't see those during the day and can be in for some pretty rude surprises at times. You will note as you enter any county, and interspersed throughout the drive that there will be signs detailing the number of people who have perished on each county's roads. A bit sobering. <BR><BR>I do agree with the possibility of taking a side trip to Cahir and Cashel. My suggestion would be to eat at the Galtee Inn in Cahir. Very good food in a relaxed atmosphere. A favorite of many. Cahir Castle is not frequently mentioned and I believe is quite underrated. From Cahir into Waterford is a pretty easy drive. By the way, if you are attracted to Waterford for the crystal, stop at the Tipperary Crystal shop on the road between Cahir and Waterford. Nicer than Waterford IMHO. Also, Kinsale and Galway Crystal are considered by many to be far superior to Waterford. But I'm a guy, what would I know.<BR><BR>I would say that given my choice, I would go to Kilkenny instead of Waterford, but that's just me. If you hit Waterford at rush hour (after 3:00 PM), be prepared for some terrible traffic headaches. I spent much more than an hour getting through the city once and it was just past 3:00.<BR><BR>May is a good time to travel. Have fun.<BR><BR>Bill