Killarney Nat'l Park-Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on spending a day at Killarney National Park in early September. I'll be staying in Kenmare and driving up for the day. I'm wondering is someone can recommend the best place to park the car and the best way to see the park (bicycle, foot, jaunting car, boat tour). I'm a single traveler, so the jaunting car may be too expensive to justify. I'd like to see Muckross House, Ross Castle, Torc Waterfall...anything else for the 'must see' list? Can anyone share what they did/saw at the park? Thanks.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 07:26 AM

Unless it's a 'set' tour, you'll need your car to get to each spot. Ross Castle is the first in, as you go around, and you can drive to that. Muckross House is next, and you can take any of the suggested transports. NOTE there are two entrances - the first one is jaunting car or walk only, and I believe is much longer to the house. The second entrance I don't know, but seems shorter, and is across from Torc Waterfall (which you can walk up from the parking lot.

Next up is Ladies' View, definitely worth a visit. NOTE There is a great view with a cafe and a gift shop, but there is another great view a little farther up! Both are labeled 'Ladies' View'.

We went up to Ladies' View and then back down to go around Killarney to the Gap of Dunloe, but you can go on around, through Moll's Gap, etc. -- we saw these the next day at the tail end of the Ring of Kerry.

The Gap of Dunloe is wonderful, and I'd recommend the jaunting cars or renting a pony for these, even if you have to share with strangers. The views are simply gorgeous! You can take your car up as well, but it is very narrow in some places, and you have all those jaunting cars in the way!
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Since you are driving into Killarney from Kenmare, I expect you will take the N71 there. In that case everything Gree Dragon said would be reversed (starting with Ladies' View). On the way there you will go through Moll's Gap and see Ladies' View. Then Torc Waterfall and Muckross, then Ross Castle.

There is a very nice walk (through the archway across from the Avenue Hotel. It takes you trough parts of KNP, past Killarney House and to Deenagh Cottage.

The Gap of Dunloe takes a good part of the day. You probably will not have the time for it.

If you go out to Aghadoe you will get fab views of the whole area, lakes, mountains and town.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Yeah, what Irisheyes said I missed the part of you coming through Kenmare
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Just returned 2 days ago from a wonderful trip through the south of Ireland--we drove the Ring of Kerry, but did Kilarney National Park and Kenmare in one day by itself. There are parking areas in each of the 3 things you want to see--Muckross House, Ross Castle and Torc Waterfalls. The jaunting car area has a parking space for its customers so be sure not to park in those that are right off the main street--pass those jaunting car signs and go right into the sight parking lot which is a short drive off the main road. Well worth the trip!! Kenmare is also a gorgeous little town and we could have spent more time there!!